Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all members from yet another newbie. In 40 years of owning a car, I have NEVER EVER had or driven a Peugeot. So I am a complete novice when comes to buying one. I am considering a 54 plate 307 1.6 SE 16v estate car. It looks absolutely immaculate inside and out, with not a mark on any body panel. BUT I don't know if there are any common faults with this car, or what 'goes' , or what to look for. The dealer who sold me my last car, my Citroen Picasso, had disconnected a pipe so that the engine fault light did not come on, and my engine has now blown up! So as you can see, I don't want to buy another problem car. Any help or advice will be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello to all members from yet another newbie. In 40 years of owning a car, I have NEVER EVER had or driven a Peugeot. So I am a complete novice when comes to buying one. I am considering a 54 plate 307 1.6 SE 16v estate car. It looks absolutely immaculate inside and out, with not a mark on any body panel. BUT I don't know if there are any common faults with this car, or what 'goes' , or what to look for. The dealer who sold me my last car, my Citroen Picasso, had disconnected a pipe so that the engine fault light did not come on, and my engine has now blown up! So as you can see, I don't want to buy another problem car. Any help or advice will be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Dont buy from that dealer again . :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont buy from that dealer again . :D
Hello, is anybody out there????? I joined the Forum hoping for some advice - but all I've got is a sarky comment! Has anyone got time on his hands, a few minutes to spare, to give me a reply please? All I want to know as never having had ANYTHING to do with Peugeots and as (I think) Peugeot and Citroens use the same engines and I don't want to be caught with disconnected pipes again - is there anything to look out for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you ever so much Mr Gibbo! You have restored my faith in human nature! I know every car in the world has got some flaws or faults, but the 307 doesn't seem to be worse than any other. I am just a bit concerned that the 110 I should avoid, and the 90 hasn't got much power and the road tax is expensive. But hey ho, it's a nice looking car! Got the choice of 3 in Swindon at the moment. It's make your mind up time.

·
11,731 Posts
Personally I'd avoid the 110. I've got a 90 and it doesn't seem underpowered.

You could always remap it to give a bit of extra power. I'd rather put money there than banking it for the inevitable particulate filter or dual mass clutch issues that will eventually crop up on the 110 (unless its already been done by the previous owner)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh dear. that dual mass clutch sounds expensive! Two of the three cars (2005) I am looking at are diesel and 110. The other is petrol (2005)and also 110. It was regularly serviced until 38000 stamped miles, but nothing since, and it is now almost 80,000. I'm guessing it is almost time for the dreaded belts too. My heart is ruling my head at the mo because it has this fantastic sun roof.... but having wind in my hair won't help if the car engine isn't running!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
mines a 2004 petrol, 1.6L. Its been fairly reliable without too many issues, the faults it has had are the following:

washer pump
steering pump
starter motor
2 rear exhaust boxes and one mid section
Thermostat replaced
comms unit

The rest has been routine maintenance

I redid all the suspension, front and rear (shocks, springs, ball joints, drop links) as the cobbles and crappy concreter roads had taken their toll. The belts were changed as well. There have been other things that I have elected to do

Its been a pretty reliable car overall, there have been a few electrical niggles that have been fairly simple to fix

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello, is anybody out there????? I joined the Forum hoping for some advice - but all I've got is a sarky comment! Has anyone got time on his hands, a few minutes to spare, to give me a reply please? All I want to know as never having had ANYTHING to do with Peugeots and as (I think) Peugeot and Citroens use the same engines and I don't want to be caught with disconnected pipes again - is there anything to look out for?
Ok pal calm down, it was only a joke. Sorry if i offended you. :eek:

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I've had two HDI 90's and both were great runners. The first was a 55 plate 1.6L and ran great until someone parked their car in the side of it and wrote it off. It had 120k on the clock. My current car is a 2.0L, had 103k on the clock when I bought it and has never let me down. I've had to do some work on it but considering it is now reaching 160k I don't consider any of the work required as being unexpected. The 2.0 came with a complete history.

Any poor experiences that people have when buying a used car are usually down to previous owners abusing the car and not servicing regularly rather than the car being inherently bad. From what I've read on this forum, the 2.0L 8 valve 90bhp diesel engine is preferred over the 1.6L 16 valve 90 bhp diesel. The gist seems to be the 2.0L is more reliable.

Some of the optional extras like cruise control and trip computer can be easily retrofitted for very little money. The 307 is a great little motor if you get the right one.

·
5,669 Posts
I have a 2.0 HDI 110 SW it has been near faultless in the time I have owned it and its very practical.

Yes the DMF can be an issue if you drive like Lewis Hamilton but mine did 130K miles and I swapped it to solid flywheel when the clutch started to fail (using a second-hand 90 bhp flywheel and new clutch parts cost less than £150)

The DPF was fine and needed topping up and cleaning out at about 85K and when it got to 170K and needed doing again I removed DPF purely due to cost and value of car.

I now have 225K miles on the clock and it still run fine and uses almost no oil between services and runs fine with no signs of rust and the bodywork has stood up well.

The only faults have been ABS (cleaned rear sensors to fix) and a failed Comm2000 airbag clock spring (but after 150K that's to be expected) and a minor leak from fuel pump all the other things have just be service items or worn out due to age/mileage

If you can get a good one go for it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Storeman, Steve, Britinbe, and Gibbo. I think in my case with the Picasso, it was a case of the previous owner having a problem and deciding to part exchange it and the garage trying to hide the fault. And as a female, I fell for it. Another case of heart ruling head, with a panoramic sun roof...... I think I will try listing it on ebay with a set of spare seats (my drivers seat broke and couldn't find one to match so bought a set from a different type) boxed shock absorbers, boxed air con condenser, one headlight pre 2004 (bought wrong one) one headlight post 2004 (right one). Failing that, it all goes to the scrappie. I have thought over your various comments and it seems the 307 has no major faults, no more than any other car anyway, and if I get a good one I will be ok for the next few years. Many thanks.

·
5,669 Posts
Where are you located, you maybe able to find a member on here to give any possible purchase a quick once over to see if there are any obvious faults/bodges

·
Registered
39 Posts
307 Buyers advice

Hi,
I recently bought an 02 2.0 HDI (110) ( 128k miles). The issues I have had are with ABS and DPF and this seems to be common in these cars.
Check the service record and see when it was last refilled with DPF additive, or get underneath and see how much is in the tank. This could be quite costly to top up as it is £50 for only 1 litre and you need peugeot diagnostics to reset it, plus mechanics time.
There is a common fault with the n/s rear ABS sensor but that is not too difficult to fix.
From reading the forum I think the Comms unit may be aonther common fault in these cars although mine seems to be ok. Check all indicators are working and cancelling themselves ok , and wipers , lights etc all work as whey should.
Also if looking to get a diesel look in service records for recent timing belt renewal. Timing belt can be quite a big job and I think it should be done at around 60-80k miles. If you are buying one at this kind of mileage make sure its had the timing belt done , or be prepared to do it.
Another fault I had wash the window washer pump but that was easy and cheap to replace with a new one.
Also I had a faulty switch for electric windows, I got new unit from scrappy for £10 and was easy to replace.
My car also had new clutch/flywheel fitted according to service receipts, this would be something else to look for if buying any 2nd hand car.
And visually check condition of tyres, exhaust backbox. Brake discs and pads you can see general condition through wheel, if alloys are fitted. Also look at spare wheel, check condition and for presence of jack wheel spanner etc.
Are there are 2 keys for the car, although not necessary its always good to have a spare key.

HTH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's some helpful piece of advice! I didn't know about anything called DPF previously. It hasn't had a new belt, it has only stamped service history up to 38000 miles with the first owner, the receipts are only for a towbar, initial service and a piece of exhaust, no major parts or fluids since. There is no history for the second or third owner. I would be the fourth at almost 80000 miles. Haven't got a clue if anything has been done in between. And that is the bit that worries me - if nothing has been done I might be heading for some big bills. I checked the electric windows and sunroof when I was sitting in it but I haven't road tested it yet because of atrocious rain. The bodywork is superb with not a blemish. I looked at the dealers Reviews on line and there are 3 bad ones over a couple of years, but no good ones. And you know what they are like - lovely chaps to talk to, he said he'd put a full MoT on it and replace a broken rear light lens cover. I am going to have to decide over the weekend. Thanks rooamin

·
11,731 Posts
It hasn't had a new belt, it has only stamped service history up to 38000 miles with the first owner, the receipts are only for a towbar, initial service and a piece of exhaust, no major parts or fluids since. There is no history for the second or third owner. I would be the fourth at almost 80000 miles. Haven't got a clue if anything has been done in between.
I'd steer clear of that one, unless there are some receipts which prove work has been done. Even if its been done by the owner, they should have kept some receipts for oil and filters.

Last year I was looking for a petrol 307 for my dad which was the same. I asked the woman why it hadn't been serviced in four years. She said because the service interval was 20,000 miles and she hadn't done that yet, she only used it for very short drives. The oil was like treacle and the coolant tank was empty.

The good thing about the 307 is that its a popular car so there's no shortage of them around. But I'll echo what Windy said, you might be best finding a local member able to give the car a once over for you. I offer this service round Merseyside.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i have both the 2.0 90bhp and the 2.0 110bhp

to me the bosch 110 seems smoother. the 90 needs a bit more thrashing to get going where as the 110 seems to pickup better

1 - 18 of 18 Posts