Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Changed the rear caliper but lost fluid. Went to bleed normal manual way and getting fluid through but no pedal pressure. It just goes to the floor.

Fluid in reservoir just goes up and down. So it seems like there is air in the system.

I have searched the internet and there is so much conflicting information. So .... can the system be bled just using a pressure bleeder or is Peugeot Planet definitely needed to activate ABS?

Many thanks for your help.

James

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used to do it with a one way valve, simple setup with some hose into a lucosade bottle. I'm not sure if you'll have to do all 4 corners or just the backs but just stick a one way valve on the bleed valve on each caliper and pump a few times then hold it to the floor, then have someone else tighten up the bleed valve before you release, repeat until all air is gone or all the old fluid is replaced. Your choice. Don't forget to keep filling your fluid reservoir or your back to square one if not worse. Hope this helps. and I can't see why ABS would make a difference to bleeding air out of the brake lines. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
When I changed my rear caliper and pipe I had no bother bleeding the system. I clamped the line at where I removed the caliper feed pipe so basically it was that short length only that needed bleeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.

So do you think just bleeding manually will be ok or should I get a gunson bleeding kit that uses pressure?

I don't see why the abs would have been affected, it's just other threads on the internet have mentioned Peugeot planet.

In terms of sequence for bleeding - NSR OSR OSF NSF ?

I don't think I need to take wheels off to get on nipples on caliper?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I bought a pressure bleeding kit. Uses the air from a tyre. It recommends using the spare but I just used the front left tyre and used my compressor to re-inflate when finished. Makes it easy to bleed brakes on your own. Connect to wheel valve, pipe from bleed nipple into a clear jar, crack open the nipple and close when all air has gone from that corner, repeat for remaining corners. Just keep a close watch on the reservoir as it can clear the reservoir pretty quick if you're not carefull.

After using the pressure kit I won't go back to the traditional way of bleeding brakes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You shouldn't have to but it would be a lot easier to jack up each corner in toe and remove the wheel for better access. Manual bleeding is fine as long as no air can get back into the system.

"In terms of sequence for bleeding - NSR OSR OSF NSF"

"If you lost a lot of fluid then the whole system will need bleeding starting from the farthest to the nearest brake to the master cylinder."

That will be the order from the master cylinder. Start with NSR and work through them in order. Although this is probably peugeot being over anal about things I'd follow it anyway as it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I always bleed using the 2 man system as I find it easier and have more control. For the first bleed just get him/her to press slowly for the first few pumps. Then when the fluid looks air less get him to pump the pedal until he feels a build up of pressure on the peddle and then crack the bleed nipple. Do that at each nipple in the order OSR,NSR,OSF and NSF as that is where the master cylinder is. Of course the sequence is for you to get him to "press" as you crack open the nipple and tell him to tell you when the pedal is fully down. Shut the nipple, tell him to release and repeat . You might have to go round a couple of times it depends how lucky you are. I always take the wheels off as it is easier to make sure the pipe on the nipple does not leak oil and also let in air. So tight fitting tube is a must as is a good ring spanner. Always remember to not let the master cylinder run out of oil and use new clean brake oil.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Madbadand old that's exactly what my brother used to do for me when I was pumping the brakes. I assume you'd have to crack it when the pressure was on and then tighten it because you can do this method without a one way valve? and just a pipe into a bottle? From what I remember, 3 pumps then to the floor and hold hard and he'd crack it and it would go right to the floor. We did this a good few times on each corner, checking the reservoir levels as we went.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Thats it. Be careful because after 3 pumps and then pressing to the floor there is a fair pressure to the line hence vital tube is held on nipple. I bought a self bleed kit years ago but never had any success with them. Good old system is the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When bleeding before we couldn't get any firmness in the pedal. It just always went to the floor. No matter how many times we pumped it. Ok we only did it on the one caliper.

I guess there is just loads of air in the system?

·
Registered
350 Posts
If it's not building any pressure there is either a leak down the line or more than likely your not stopping the air from getting back in each time, if your bleed valve isn't tight it wont pressurise at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a check on the line and couldn't see any leaks but that's not to say there isn't any. Will have to try again and make sure silicon tube is on nipple properly and bleed valve closed off.

At least you don't think I need diagnostics etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah you'll be fine without plugging anything in. If your not 100% sure then seek a second opinion. I understand it will be difficult as you can't drive the car safely without adequate brakes. But it's better than getting frustrated or damaging something on the car or injuring yourself in the process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts