Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Hope someone can give me some advice on this one
Recently attempted to change both front bottom ball joints
Changed offside no problem
However n/s was unbelievably tight
Got if eventually but on trying to fit new on found uthat thread was damaged (stretched ?))
So had to refit old one which went in ok
I now need a hub carrier been phoning around and can only find them off petrol vehicles ( mines a 2004 dturbo) been told that these won't fit as drive shaft etc is different size Which leads me to the question
Can I get one from a petrol car and press out the hub
The fit the hub and bearing from my car into the casting from the donor vehicle
So basically are the castings all the same ??
And it's just the hub and bearing that's different
Thanks look forward to hearing any advice on this

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
2 litre petrol hubs may well be the same I know that is the case with 206s

All 206s with 1.6 upwards engines have same hubs

As to your question no doubt the upright is the same as the splines for the driveshafts are where the difference is.

Problem is you will need a new bearing if you do that as they cannot be removed without damaging the bearing

·
Registered
62 Posts
As far as I have found the hubs on a 2.0 petrol will fit a 2.0 diesel. When i did my bottom ball joints mine were so tight on both sides!

I really did struggle to get them off but i ended up buying a 41mm socket and that got them off no problem.

I also noticed that the the thread inside the hub changes pitch half way down to make it go really tight.

I got told this is fairly common just as extra protection to stop it coming loose.

Did yours have a locking tab tapped down to into the hub?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi
Just did this on my 307 2.0 hdi.....

Yes my donor car was a 2004 petrol and everything matched perfectly but there is a difference if you go above 2005. (that´s my experience seeing the two at the scrappers...

The hub can´t be pressed out without damage so mind as well do as i did... bought a donor hub, fitted new bearing (since i didn´t have any tools at home i did it at my work) also changed the lower ball joint so i knew it was all good from there ;)

Socket 41 mm is the tool to get it out :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to who all who replied giving advice
I've got a socket for the ball joint which I used last time with a 3/4 drive
The offside came off a bit tight but no real problem
I got the near side one off eventually using socket above with 3/4 drive and a 4ft scaffold tube(seriously tight)
But then new ball joint wouldn't go in
Because I think thread became stretched
So replaced old one for time being which went back in ok
Hopefully got hub being delivered tomorrow off a petrol
If there's a difference in the hub hopefully press out hub and use hub from my car (got a hydraulic press)
If hub etc is same hopefully just fit new ball joint to donor hub and refit
(Sounds easy doesn't it Lol)
Fingers crossed
Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts