Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Peugeot 307 55 plate, has got a terrible fuse blowing problem if i turn the ignition off after driving for about half an hour or longer (when the engine is hot) and then try to start the engine again it blows a fuse, yellow 20amp. I took it to my local garage who couldn't diagnose a problem they suggest i take it to Peugeot but i really cant afford to, can anyone help me PLEASE!!! P.s i have got through about 5 fuses in a week.

Ellie x

G

·
Can you tell us which number fuse is blowing so we can tell what circuits are running through it, and which fusebox (glovebox or underbonnet)
I take it the fuse has never blown on a cold start?

Also can you check the ignition switch isnt sticking in the crank position, it could be the fuse blows just after the car has started, then only gets noticed when you try and restart it! try watching the new fueses just after starting :thumb:

G

·
Hi Ellie

Welcome!

As said, let us know which fuse it is and in which fuse box.

Any competent garage or mobile auto electrician should be able to track this down and fix it.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, The car always starts when cold but if stopping to get petrol or drop my baby at nursey then it definitely would not re-start.We have googled this and found another person with exactly the same fuse F8 blowing under the bonnet. We have no idea what it can be but i have to wait until the car completely cools before it stops blowing fuses. It's fuse box 1 F8 yellow 20amp and says in manual its for starter control, thanks, Ellie x

G

·
fuse 8 is for ignition switch, so my guess would be that after starting its somehow sticking in the crank position or somehow still engaging the starter motor

Did you try keeping your eye on the fuse after starting to see how long it takes to blow out?

thats my theory anyway :lol:

edit: what happens when you put a new fuse in and try with the engine hot? does the starter motor even turn over?

edit again: does anyone know if relays are involved here, maybe one sticking due to heat holding a circuit open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, When I change the fuse I have to wait until the car completely cools or it blows fuse again, it does not turn over just clicks once as the fuse blows, regard Ellie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar problem

Hi there,
I seem to have the same problem - 307 2006 blows the F8 20A starter control fuse (box 1) when the engine is warm.
Since the previous author didn't seem to get to the bottom of the problem, and sent it to a garage which couldn't find anything, I'm a bit cautious in doing the same.

When turning the key the fuse blows immediately. Usually after changing the fuse once everything seems ok until a few days later when it blows again, though today I had to change 5 fuses before the car started (each time blowing immediately).

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Are we looking at a short in or between the ignition switch and the relay, or relay and starter motor? If there were a sticking relay, wouldn't the starter motor be permanently in action? On normal cars, even if they won't start, the key happily cranks the starter - yet the fuse does not blow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!
After the fuse blows, on turning the key you can hear a click from somewhere near the passenger glove box.

Apparently, someone changed their starter motor and the problem has not occurred again, so I'm going to try this and will let you know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starter Motor

Hi guys, sorry to have to inform you, but it does sound like a start motor problem

when the starter motor is cold, the resistances inside are much lower than when the engine/starter motor is hot, when you try to turn the engine over it would struggle or lock up completely?

if this is the case then 9/10 it would be your starter motor, get an amp meter and check it against your negative feed, generally batteries can only put out up to 3 times the amount of amps indicated on the battery, and most starter motors would max put out 140amps, generally speaking from experience, i had one in recently almost 350amps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just came back from the mechanic shop. he said it's the starter motor and i asked him to change it. the car worked just fine, but i have to try it for couple of days and i will inform you of results
thanks every one for replies.:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just came back from the mechanic shop. he said it's the starter motor and i asked him to change it. the car worked just fine, but i have to try it for couple of days and i will inform you of results
thanks every one for replies.:lol:
Is your car ok since changing the starter motor? I've had the same problem with mine :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
20amp starter fuse blowing on 2006 Peugeot 307

Can anyone advise if changing the starter motor definitely solves this problem with fuse no 8 as this problem has been continually occurring for a couple of weeks.

Many thanks

David

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.