Peugeot Forums banner

307 Auto Gear Lever Locked in Park

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  catron 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an intermittent problem with my 2002 2L 307 AL4 triptronic.

Sometimes the gear lever gets stuck in the Park position.
The shift lock won't activate and release gear lever.
Dash gear position indicator shows a flashing P and sometimes flashing R despite the gear lever being firmly positioned in the park position.
Peugeot Planet diagnosis shows no faults with gearbox or other parts of the car.
Car drives perfectly when issue decides to resolve itself but unfortunately it returns unexpectedly, mostly when it's at operating temperature.

Any ideas on what could be the cause of this issue?

I've checked all electrical connections and they are clean and dry.

Could it be the multiswitch on top of the gearbox malfunctioning?

What does the multiswitch actually do?

Any assistance would be greatly.

See less See more
#4 ·
We also have this issue. It has happened twice in a one month old 2020 Peugeot Traveller. Once in a car park which was not too much of a pain, but another time in a traffic jam. I had to put the hazards on, and turn the engine fully off for a minute until it reset. Quite embarrassing holding up the traffic for that time!

All I had done was switch the gear selection to "P" while stopped in traffic. Went to put it back in "D" as the traffic moved off and the vehicle would not go and the "P" for park just kept flashing. I tried all other gear selections,, "N" and "R", but the "P" just flashed in all of them.

Did anyone get to the bottom of the issue?

#5 ·
DIbley although your symptoms are the same its a very different system so its unlikely to be the same thing older cars have a mechanical interlock on the gearstick and this was what was not releasing on the older cars your car uses a different design entirely

#8 ·
@mara- - The handbrake is a mobility adapted one, (electric motor) so takes about ten seconds to put on and off. It is not quick like the standard ones on the allure model.
I'd been sat in the traffic jam for a while and wanted to rest my foot which had been on the brake pedal, hence why I put it into park.

#10 ·
for anyone else experiencing this problem with al4 gearbox it it usually caused by one of three things
  1. multi function/neutral/gear selector switch whatever you know it as is going bad(rubbed out, burnt or dirty internal slider contacts)
  2. said switch is not correctly positioned in relation to gear selector lever(not likely the case if it was working fine and wasn't disturbed)
  3. parking prawl in the transmission not properly aligned(usually happens after the gearbox is opened for any sort of servicing)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.