Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my trusty 307 had a recall on the ABS ecu. The ecu was replaced apparently as there has been water seeping into the unit itself. Since then the abs light has come on again, After consulting my friend who has the diagnostic equipment (keeping away from the franchised dealer as it cost 48 quid everytime its connected to there computer!!!) its coming up with a faulty abs pump or modulater l think??.
Has anybody else had the same problem??? its getting frustrating now..
After searching the net l have a feeling it will cost roughly 250 to 350 to rectify it.. NOT HAPPY!!!
Please somebody help....:nono:

·
Registered
1 Posts
307 ABS Pump

Paul4274 said:
Recently my trusty 307 had a recall on the ABS ecu. The ecu was replaced apparently as there has been water seeping into the unit itself. Since then the abs light has come on again, After consulting my friend who has the diagnostic equipment (keeping away from the franchised dealer as it cost 48 quid everytime its connected to there computer!!!) its coming up with a faulty abs pump or modulater l think??.
Has anybody else had the same problem??? its getting frustrating now..
After searching the net l have a feeling it will cost roughly 250 to 350 to rectify it.. NOT HAPPY!!!
Please somebody help....:nono:
Same as you my 307 on a 53 plate was recalled for the ABS ecu and once the wiring loop was replaced I then got the warning lights coming on for ABS and Brakes. Peugeot advise it is nothing to do with the recall but before the recall I never had a warning light on?

Trying to gather supporting cases so I can write to the Head of Peugeot UK about this.

My stance is that I have had no issues prior to the recall so the change in wiring has highlighted the issue so the problem has been there all the time and I have only had the car for 12 months and has done less than 48k.

If you can get it fixed for that price jump at it as my local Peugeot dealer is quoting me just short of £900 to dfo the work.

Anyone had similiar issues

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
abs fault

l have spent a good length of time looking for a new modulator. l have found the components required for the repair of my vehicle, the only down side is that it is from ebay and lm rather relunctant to buy from there.
If you have had any joy with your findings please keep me posted.

all the best Paul:confused: :nono:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alex said:
Same as you my 307 on a 53 plate was recalled for the ABS ecu and once the wiring loop was replaced I then got the warning lights coming on for ABS and Brakes. Peugeot advise it is nothing to do with the recall but before the recall I never had a warning light on?

Trying to gather supporting cases so I can write to the Head of Peugeot UK about this.

My stance is that I have had no issues prior to the recall so the change in wiring has highlighted the issue so the problem has been there all the time and I have only had the car for 12 months and has done less than 48k.

If you can get it fixed for that price jump at it as my local Peugeot dealer is quoting me just short of £900 to dfo the work.

I came across this site as i was searching google for Peugeot 307 ABS Fault. Alex, i would just like to say "Join the club"

Iv had my car over 2 years now with very little fault. I took my car for the recall and 2 days later the ABS light came on with the message "ABS Fault" being displayed.

I informed Peugoet of this problem and they also told me it's not due to the recall why im receiving this fault. I told them iv had the car over 2 years and not really had any problems and that they are the ones who have caused this to happen.

They told me they will do a free check and to take it down a.s.a.p. They did the check and told me the N/S/R wheel speed sensor was faulty. I bought the sensor from them for £27 and got my father-in-law to fit it as i begrudge paying £120 for a sensor that only takes around 40 mins to an hour to replace.

After getting my car back i received further problems. When i brake at slow speeds (30 - 40 MPH) there is a very loud clunking noise coming from the N/S/F of the car. After around 5 - 10 mins of driving the ABS Light comes on and the noise stops.

I am getting nowhere with Peugeot, iv phone them up on numerous occassions and asked to speak to the Manager. They said he is busy and took my number, he will give me a call a.s.a.p. Still waiting after a week and got no response, i phone them back up to get told exactly the same thing which i said is starting to get ridiculous.

I have emails Peugeot head office and recieved an email back saying the message has been passed on to the relevant department. Two weeks later with i cant remember how many calls and emails to get no respsonse what so ever.

Iv had it with Peugeot. I have been a great supporter of them but after all of this they will not be getting my custom again. I will have the car crushed and dumped in the forecourt and demand my money back.

Did you manage to sort your problem? Know a fix? Get anywhere with Peugeot?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
reply to thread

I've had a similar problem with the ABS. When at decellerating (bracking) between 20mph and 10 mph I got an audible knocking sound whch could be felt through the pedal. After just under a year of the peugeot dealership telling me there was nothing wrong, and they couldn't recreate the problem I got very annoyed and attacked my left side rear wheel speed sensor with an allan key. This destroyed it quite effectively resulting in the knocking sound occuring during every braking event. I had this replaced and all the noises, knocks etc went away.

3month later ....

I've just started getting the first symptoms of another sensor onthe way out. when driving between 10 and 15 mph I can here the ABS pump whirling away. Beyond 15mph it stops as it realises it isn't needed. I've had the knocking once or twice but not majorly. As the sensors are "working" its not logging any ABS fault at the moment hence I don't know which sensor to attack. I've been looking at way of examining the wheel speed sensors whilst driving but not made much head way yet. I've got one of the 'make your laptop a scantool' devices but this doesn't give individual wheen speeds. If I find anything else I will let you know.

Hope this has been a little help, if not it was certainly good to see i'm not the only one fighting the ABS.

Graeme

·
Registered
2 Posts
52 plate with abs fault

i had abs fault took it 2 pug main dealer paid £234 for new rear bearing 50 miles later fault again it went back in they changed sensor for free no problems for 30K went 4 the recal 6k ago and abs fault again not a happy chappy:mad: :mad: :mad:

foned main dealer and told them of problem they hooked it up and it was a in co herent rear wheel sensor on rear wheel. last year i had abs fault and had bearing changed and now the sameone was faulty they replaced it for free and i didnt pay a penny happy but it shouldent have happend

another 8k done and have another abs fault. juddering pedal and clonking sound when breaking as soon as i get upto 60 abs light comes on and all the judder goes away. Its going in on friday so will keep u all posted

turned out the bearing was faulty again and it was just out of warranty by 2 months argued but had to pay 4 new 1 as need the car 4 work working fine now but 4 how long will have to c

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
307 abs fault

I have yet again returned my 307 to the main dealership. It has been confirmed that the pump is at fault. They have given me a quote of 716 pounds to replace it. After dragging myself off the floor in amazement i have spent alot of time on the net and found a website called ' the parts gateway. the have quoted me £156 for a reconditioned unit. It comes with a guarantee of 12 months and promise next day delivery. All l suggest to anybody considering carrying out the job themselves is get clarrification of the specific unit you need. There is 2 in circulation, the bosch 5.3 and the bosch 8.0

Ill let you know how l get on, by the way, does anybody know how to take the front bumper off? as the abs pump is located on the front left hand side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alex said:

I have the same problem on my '02 plate.I had no faults on my ABS my brakes were fine, then earlier this year i had the same recall on my car to rectify water ingress into the abs system.Since then the Warning light comes on and off all the time,i have had my brakes checked and all the sensors are fine and like yourselves i called the dealer who carried out the modification and they have informed me it has nothing to do with the modification to the ABS system and that i should bring it in to be checked - but of course this will cost me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
stewart james

hi guys join the club had a recall on 307 52 reg, no problems with it before. and then surprise surprise have a juddering on brakes. have changed front discs and all brake pads still there. and abs faults constantly showing up. have lodged a formal complaint with peugeot headoffice, not very helpful though they said pay for a diagnostic which i did today apparently i have o/s/r ABS sensor broke. my argument is why should i pay 80.00 for something which am damn sure they did. am gonna try and ring trading standards if i dont get any luck am gonna use the evidence here to support my argument.

·
Registered
5 Posts
06 307cc ABS Fault

Hi everyone,, My wife has a 2006 307CC, and low and behold the ABS and ESP light have started coming on more frequently. after half a mile both lights come on and all the breaking efficiency is lost, as a Diesel Techncian, i am reluctant to pay a dealer the expensive rates, Can anyone advise my where and what type of code reader i need to purchase?
Thanks in advance Chris.

G

·
In light of all these posts, should i bother booking mine in for the ABS recall do you think?

No issues with braking and no warning lights so far

Has anyone had any luck with peugeot headquarters after they had problems appearing?

Cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
Chris1071 said:
Hi everyone,, My wife has a 2006 307CC, and low and behold the ABS and ESP light have started coming on more frequently. after half a mile both lights come on and all the breaking efficiency is lost, as a Diesel Techncian, i am reluctant to pay a dealer the expensive rates, Can anyone advise my where and what type of code reader i need to purchase?
Thanks in advance Chris.
Peugeot Planet or one which can configure the ABS ECU and auto bleed the system.
The problem with buying a Planet is the Transponder which you now cannot get hold of uness you want to pay a grand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
water ingress into ABS ECU

Hi Folks
Thanks for the posts re 307 ABS fault. I have joined the forum to pass on my experience. I have a an '03 307, recalled last year for abs. Main delaer claimed to replace ECU because of water ingress. It has since developed a fault with the ABS light on constantly. I took it to my Peugeot guy (not main dealer) who diagnosed sensor fault. It wasn't. He then got an electrics guy to check it out. There was water ingress into the ABS ECU, Apparently it sits behind the bumper and is therefore prone to having water splashed all over it. I rang main delaer and they confirmed that the ECU was replaced last OCT I then told them I had a problem with water ingress. They have said they will check it free of charge. I imagine it is still under warranty so I am hopeful that they will replace it. My electrics guy thought the ECU was NOT a new one but could not swear to it. (am I being a little over suspicious of main dealers) I will keep you posted. If you do have a problem maybe it is worth getting the ECU checked for water ingress? Hopefully it might help persuade main dealer to fix things?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peugeot 307 52 Plate

I purchased my 52 plate peugeot about 4 months ago.

I now have a recurring problem where there is a beep, the warning light comes on the dash and it says ABS fault.
My brakes are working fine, there are no knocking noises.
This does not happen every day or even every time I drive, what could be the problem?

I can't afford to take it into a main dealer before xmas - is my car safe?

Of course the three month warranty I got on my car is up and having read the above it all sounds very expensive.

Any ideas or advice please?

Kirsty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Sorry to here you are having problems. I had very similar ones to those you describe.
Here are some suggestions:
Firstly check that the recall for water ingress into the ABS was completed for your car. If not then take it back to a main dealer and ask them to do it. This should be free and might remedy the problem. If it was done within the last twelve months then it is still under guarentee, take it back to a main dealer and complain.
If it has been done but more than 12 months ago then the problem may be similar to the cause of mine.
You need to get it plugged into a diagnostic machine. Kwik fit have them. Cost around £50. This will tell you if it is a wheel sensor problem. If so all that might be needed is an adjustment to the distance between the sensor and wheel. That was what my problem was. The main dealer put this right for £60.
Hope this helps :) you solve what I know is VERY irritating problem
Kind regards
June
It might not be as bad as you think

·
Registered
2 Posts
Peugeot 307 ABS faults

I have a 307 estate which I have owned since buying it new in 2003. I have had nothing but trouble with the electrics since I bought it. I have had the same ABS fault light that has been posted on this site, and after changing the right rear sensor, which was diagnosed by the Peugeot dealer, still had the light. I since found 2 problems which caused it.
First was the discovery that water had got into the BSI, through a seal in the bulkhead, which is immediately above it. This caused the pins in the plugs to short out, and corrode. Secondly, I found that the ABS controller, which is sited in the front of the left front wheelarch, was also contaminated with water. Replacing both of these fixed the problem. The pump which some people refer to, is a brake return pump, not a pressure pump, and you would not hear it at all. What you are hearing, is the power steering pump. With the lossof a valid wheel speed signal from the ABS, the pump, which is electric, goes to full speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
307 abs faults

hi just joined forum and first thing i read is about abs faults. i had my 307 5 years before this recall and noticed the abs light on the following day after the work. peugeot said it had likely nothing to do with the work and kept diagnosing faulty sensors and bearings which never put fault right. eventually i closed the air gap on the rear sensors and the fault left. i also put back the alledgely faulty sensors which turned out to be fine. my conclusion is that despite peugeots claims the work has nothing to do with the faults i believe the work does alter the way in which the abs ecu see's the signals from the wheel sensors. anyway think most peugeot owners are aware of the fix now but they (peugeot ) didnt help their reputation by denying the recall work did not prompt abs faults. it happened to too many people . ta andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
stevebfc said:
... This caused the pins in the plugs to short out, and corrode. Secondly, I found that the ABS controller, which is sited in the front of the left front wheelarch, was also contaminated with water. Replacing both of these fixed the problem. ....
How did you replace the pins in the plugs - was it the pins on the unit or the loom connecting to it or both? - I have the same problem and am being told the only solution is a new wiring loom at a cost of about £1500

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.