Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

SWITCH CLEANER REFERRED TO IN THIS POST WAS ACTUALLY MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR CLEANER FROM HALFORDS YELLOW AEROSOL GREEN CAP

This is my first post. I know its long but dont give up reading it may help you.

The subject I have chosen has been well covered but I felt that I had to relay my experience in this post, hopefully it will be helpful for someone.
I started getting the crunching and grinding noises from the braking system, (this noise was from the front left area of the car)then the abs light would come on and the grinding would go away and the brakes would operate normally with the light remaining on until the next start up and then it would do the same thing again. The brakes would only grind and knock on the first few applications say for a few hundred yards and then the light would come on and stay on.
I thought this was due to the front brakes needing changed so I replaced discs and pads and checked, cleaned and regapped the sensors. I discovered when doing this that the front brakes were not to bad and probably did not need changing. (see later on in this post what the knocking and grinding was)The abs light remained in its intermittent state and the grinding / knocking remained as it had previously.
6 months passed and I spent ages trawling the internet foirums and found some really good information, especially on this one.

During this time I have checked and cleaned the rear sensors and removed all four sensors from the car and had them tested by a peugeot technician who confirmed them as being in good condition with no requirement for new ones. I refitted them all and tried again. The light remained on constantly this time so I was really p!""£d off and I gave up for a while.

The brakes worked fine during this time although obviously without the abs functioning.
Time passed and with my MOT coming up on Friday I had to do something so today I spent 8 hours thoroughly checking all of the wiring connections for the abs system.

I cleaned all connectors and sensors and traced the loom from front to back.

I found an area where the two back sensor cables meet and go forward near the rear driverside wheel just before the loom goes over the petrol tank. This part of the loom was unprotected and the 2 pair of cables (one for each rear sensor) were totally exposed to the elements. The cables were visibly very dirty and with a torch I could see that the insulation at this point may have been compromised.

So to rule this out as a problem area I seperated the 4 cables cleaned them with switch cleaner and used some self amalgamating tape to thoroughly waterproof and insulate them. I traced the rest of the loom all of the way to the front sensors and ABS ECU controller without any further issue with the wiring loom.
My car has been listed for the recall but I have never booked it in as I read the unsuccessful and costly problems others on this forum had eperienced after they had taken their cars in for it.

So I called my dealer and asked what the recall consisted of. I got the service receptionist who was talking rubbish so I asked for the work shop manager.

He was very helpful indeed and told me that the grinding and knocking was not the brakes as such but the ABS pump operating as it thought one of the wheels had locked up. He said that the recall usually only entailed checking the sensors and sensor wiring and the short piece of wiring loom from the ABS ECU where it is exposed to the weather coming from the main loom to the socket and plug that entered the ABS ECU in the front left inner wing area.
He described what would be done and I carried it out to the letter myself and I will detail how:-

Remove the front passenger wheel

Remove the plastic inner wing assembly, be careful not to break any of the clips you will need them again. To get them out push the small center part in with a small screwdriver and then lever the whole clip out. 8 in total I think.

Pull out the plastic inner wing and sit it to the side.

If you look in to the gap you have just created to the left you will see the ABS pump and attached ABS ECU, loom and plug.

To remove the plug (be careful not to break anything be gentle),there is a small plastic lever at the bottom of the plug which is part of the plug that pulls back and up on a hinge type set up which will pull the plug away from the socket.

When the plug is removed you can then remove the protective plastic cablegaurd from around the loom. It is about 6 inches long. The loom splits after that so thats as far as you need to expose.

Once removed you will see that you have a lot of wires of all colours. Seperate the wires gently and check for damage or corrosion. Mines were very dirty and it was obvious that water had been getting in to and lying in this section of loom. I checked and cleaned them all individually using the switch cleaner and found some areas that could have been shorting out so I used the self amalgamting tape to seal and insulate the problem areas. I then re-taped up the whole six inch section from it exiting the main loom to the plug and then refitted the plastic cablegaurd and taped both ends to seal them against further water ingress.
Right,
now on to the plug and socket.
Once its removed you can inspect the plug and socket for corrosion or damage, mines looked perfect but I cleaned both plug and socket thoroughly with switch cleaner and put vaseline on the contacts of the plug only thats the bit connected to the loom not the bit still attached to the ECU. Only put vaseline on the bottom set of contacts as the other set are for communication I think and wont work properly if you do. So only on the bottom set the ones that are brass in colour and are flat bladed connectors like spade type, the other set are smaller pin type connectors.

Allow all of the switch cleaner to evaporate fully, I waited an hour so this would be a good time for a T break. After that refit the plug to the socket carefully and pull the lever down to lock it in place.
Then rebuild the inner wing and replace the wheel.

Take it for a test drive and low and behold NO ABS WARNING beep OR ABS LIGHT
FANTASTIC. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drove it all evening and no probs so far.

Hope this helps someone, sorry it was such a long post for my first

Allan D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still operating as it should

Hi,
Just an update on my ABS all still working fine no light brakes are great and I think the car is even handling better. This may be due to the ABS and ESP stability programme depending on the ABS ECU and that was not operating correctly when the ABS light was on. Hence the drive ability of the car may have been affected. Not 100% sure of this but I think they are linked in some manner.
Maybe someone in the know could answer that.

Allan D:lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine is doing the crunchy noise thing but only when the warning light is on. have just replaced the sensors to both wheels on the offside and a new rear hub. fault lights went out but driving away from the garage it started acting up again until the ABS and ESP fault lamps came on again. Cleared with PP after, give anything a go! same again until faults showed. Makes a lot of sense Allan Thanks. Know what I'll be doing this weekend

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check if the recall work has been done

Hi Seafisher just to let you know to check if the recall work has been done or was required for your vehicle.
Even if it has been done it is still worth checking the things quoted in my original post.

Let me know how you get on.

Allan :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi mate thanks, electric connector seems to be on top of my pump, can't see how to get to it. Am near a French car breaker tomorrow so will pick their brains about it, look like best access is from beneath the headlight, any suggestions please anybody. Getting back to original issue; water ingress appears to be the problem, no inner wheel arch cover probably after a garage visit about 3 years ago, everything within very soaked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Found the thread to bumper removal, sorry all but i have a real prob navigating! Off tomorrow so will go through the whole process of checking sensors and wiring and see where we get. Haven't checked on the recall as I'm not sure where it will get me at the moment.

P

·
0 Posts
Easy enough to do. Think you will need to get the front wheel arches off as well.

Hopefully cleaning out the plug will fix it for you. I had a tiny cable break about 1cm from where the cable went into the pug. Not fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all I'm confused do u need to take bumper off aswell as the plastic inner wheel cover. Cheers
Think you may have to, but fortunately I didn't have to go that far. Had a day off, don't have a garage but weather good so had a good look around, found a break in the wire on the loom side to the sensor plug on the N/S front so got another complete with wires from a breaker, connected securely and waterproofed the lot with that self amalgamating stuff (thanks Allan) - lights still on. Got the rear one apart to find garage had fitted new sensor on top of a humungus lump of corroded crud, (wont be using that one again!) soon sorted that = lights out and all working good!! - no crunchy noise, or weird pedal pressure when braking. MOT'd today and after a few miles now it is still good. Thanks all for your input and support on this one guys much appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
esr and engine management light all gone

Thanks Alland
Found my loom all wet and dried as per your instructions.
Lights gone
Happy days

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cheers alland, so glad I found this thread, will be trying this when car is back from having the clutch replaced, before the MOT next friday!

Have had intermittent problems with abs, pp says osr sensor at 655kph at stand still! Gave a fault of osr sensor incoherence, osr sensor short to battery earth or battery positive(3 listed faults).

New sensor fitted same faults present and light on/abs fault in display. Then light out no fault, then on/off/on/off and now only when it rain's funnily enough!

Have checked, although only brief visual checks, the rear wiring under car and brief visual of loom through car internally. Couldn't see any obvious breaks or green corrosion of bare wires. This is now leading me to carrying out continuity checks with my multi meter, but I will check what you've said first a I'll have the arch liner out to check continuity.

Water ingress to the plug is my guess, as recall has been done and from what I can see through inner arch from engine bay it all looks dry(bag and abs unit).
It would also make sense as while dry all wiring is functional as abs functions perfectly!!

I will post my findings on here when I've taken a look!

Cheers again

307dan:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts