Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon All,

Wondering for any advise? My dads car has the popped up with an ABS light issue, the annoying thing is that it seems to come on and off a lot when he has the car, but when i go to diagnose it, the light is not on.

I have done some research and read that it can be dirty sensors on the rear wheels, or loom, that makes sence, but what is really confusing me is when i run a diagnostic in PP2000.

I firstly get no error codes.
Secondly i have strange issue where - when i ran a diagnostic in August, on the main screen the "ABS or ESP ECU - was showing". When i ran a diagnostic on Saturday i get the ECU has not replied. Does that mean there is an issue with the ABS ECU ?

Illustrations below from August 2017

1.jpg

From Saturday

2.jpg

Im just trying to figure out if its the ECU with an issue rather than sensors.

Many thanks for any help

Little Pug (Andy)
on behalf of my dad

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sometimes systems don't always communicate. Remember any fault in the abs system will automatically switch the whole system off as a safety feature. If the abs light goes off that means the system is happy again.

Does your dad have an off-road drive or cobbled drive. It may be that it acts up when driven on uneven surfaces or over speed bumps and then sorts it's self out. I would check your sensors out first and go from there. It may well be early enough that they just need a quick removal, clean and refitting

Also this is just a suggestion but check out the battery. Peugeots hate low voltage and often throw passenger airbag and abs faults when started up. This will then reset when the car is restarted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you madbadandold and SlashProm,

To be honest i never thought of checking the live data while the car is running, so will give that a go.

I'm wondering if i take the wheel off and have a look at the sensors, see what condition they are in. Also i would of thought that if the ECU is working ok i.e. light off would pp2000 not read it, when i was reading the ECU the light was not on. My dads driving is driving in London, normal roads.

I'm going to see the car now and ill report back. See if the light comes on.

Thank You all once all again

Andy

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Planet is not a code reader it is a proper computer diagnostic system and can do so much more than most ever use it for of course it can read a system with no faults and any time the light comes on the system stores a fault for you to read.

On your screenshots the latest one shows presence of faults you then click on that to take you into the ABS ecu then there are many more things to look at including the live data already mentioned.

Being a 307 the most likely reason is rust build up at rear sensors well documented issue and simple enough to fix

·
Registered
687 Posts
Planet is not a code reader it is a proper computer diagnostic system and can do so much more than most ever use it for of course it can read a system with no faults and any time the light comes on the system stores a fault for you to read.

On your screenshots the latest one shows presence of faults you then click on that to take you into the ABS ecu then there are many more things to look at including the live data already mentioned.

Being a 307 the most likely reason is rust build up at rear sensors well documented issue and simple enough to fix
and with a long enough T30 driver, it is possible to get at the rear sensors through the wheel bolt hole and avoid the need to remove the disk/hub etc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Morning All,

I managed to get to Dad's yesterday and ran a diagnostic, so found the issue to be with the rear right sensor

1.jpg

2.jpg

So called Peugeot and bought a replacement sensor, the guy said that the rear sensor's are the same for the left and the right,

I forgot to ask a very vital question - How do you determine what is the right side ? So i would like to ask.

Is when you sit in the car so it would be the drivers side, or is it passengers side, when you look at the car from the front.

Many Thanks in advance

Andy

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Right hand drive is the right rear. It will probably be rust under the sensor rather than the sensor though. So take it off and make sure you get all the loose metal off and have solid material to mount the sensor. You can check the old sensor with a multi meter to see if there is continuity. But as I said in my first entry drive the car with planet on and check the wheel speed signals as confirmation of the problem. My fault turned out to be an intermittent signal from the front right wheel which was caused by that bearing being the signal generator being intermittent.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Right rear is the drivers side rear wheel. As madbadandold says, I doubt that the sensor has failed, it's probably rust under the sensor. Remove it and clean the metal behind. When I did mine I had to put a thin bit of plastic under the sensor, because the gap between the sensor and the ring on the back of the hub was too big after I had cleaned off all the rust.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You can check the old sensor with a multi meter to see if there is continuity.
The ABS sensors are hall effect sensors (transducers) so testing for continuity won't guarantee that the sensor is good. A scope is a good tool for testing hall effect sensors (can and crank sensors are the same thing) if you have one.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Be very careful how you remove he sensor. Sticking a screwdriver between the hub and sensor to lever it out is a very bad idea as you will almost certainly damage the magnetic disc on the side of the bearing. Then you change the senor and the fault will still be there.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Good Morning All,

I managed to get to Dad's yesterday and ran a diagnostic, so found the issue to be with the rear right sensor

View attachment 67841

View attachment 67849

So called Peugeot and bought a replacement sensor, the guy said that the rear sensor's are the same for the left and the right,

I forgot to ask a very vital question - How do you determine what is the right side ? So i would like to ask.

Is when you sit in the car so it would be the drivers side, or is it passengers side, when you look at the car from the front.

Many Thanks in advance

Andy
when you sit in the car....

But sure to give the area where the senor sits a good scrape to remove any loose rust. As mentioned earlier, you can get access to the tocx bolt with a long T30 bit through the wheel bolt hole

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank All for the updates

Just to confirm, to get the to the sensor, Brakes, calipers, discs and centre hub bolt have to be removed

Is there any other way getting to it from behind without taking all that out ? I assume the ring for the ABS sensor is on the back of the disc?

Thanks all once again

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thank All for the updates

Just to confirm, to get the to the sensor, Brakes, calipers, discs and centre hub bolt have to be removed

Is there any other way getting to it from behind without taking all that out ? I assume the ring for the ABS sensor is on the back of the disc?

Thanks all once again
No, you can make it easier for yourself.

The sensor sits on part of the back plate. It can be gotten at through one of the wheel bolt holes with a long T30 bit to remove the holding bolt. scrape the surface where the sensor sits to remove any flaking rust and you should be good to reassemble afterwards.

It took me longer to jack up and remove the wheel than to do the job doing it this way

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can access the sensor torx bolt through one of the wheel nut holes, does this mean that with a long enough torx key, you can remove the sensor without even taking the wheel off? Just remove the correct wheel bolt, and get the alignment right. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Adaptor bit and a couple of long extensions should manage but this thread started in 2017 so I think he must have either got sick of it or did not have the decency to close the thread one way or another!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts