Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
307 2L HDI Rapier Com 2000 issues / airbag light

Hi I`m new here having found this forum when searching google for an answer to a little issue I have...

I recently bought a 2002 307 HDI Rapier only to find it when I indicated right it would cancel straight through to left and after a quick search i find its a common fault with the com 2000 unit.
I bought a unit off ebay , without doing any research, only to find it did not find my car and when I refitted my old one I now have an airbag light on !! I presume I damaged something removing mine ? or does the light just need resetting?

So I am now looking for another unit, my part no. is 96466653xt, will it have to be that exact part number or do others fit this model ? As I have found some off other 2L HDI cars of the same year but the part numbers are different ?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance Nathan

·
Registered
437 Posts
The indicator fault is, as you say, a common one. I haven't had it myself but have seen a cheapo fix using a sponge and have also read that you can open up the comm and rotate part of the indicator stalk 180 degrees to cure it but opening the comm is very fiddly as is getting it back together.

As for the air bag light, you may have damaged the ribbon. On the front of the comm is a round ribbon and when you take the comm off you should have the wheels centered and make sure the ribbon does not rotate otherwise the next time you turn full lock you'll split the ribbon.

Lastly, a replacement comm may need to be configured to your car. I'm sure someone will come along soon and confirm this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roky Thanks for your reply

The annoying thing is is the fact I had used a sponge to do a temp fix and then thought a new one would be better !,

Is the ribbon able to be repaired or is my unit now completely knackered ?

As for whether it needs to be configured I`ve read so many conflicting advice about it now I really confused !!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I replaced my comm2000 a few months ago and it didn't need any configuration, just plugged it in and it worked. It may depend on the year and model of your car, mines a 2002 1.6 petrol. As for the ribbon cable, if it is broken then forget it ! But unless you let the centre of the comm2000 move way out of position, I doubt that the cable is broken. Check all the connectors are clean and tight. and recheck the two that connect to the airbag. Sometimes they don't clip in properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced my comm2000 a few months ago and it didn't need any configuration, just plugged it in and it worked. It may depend on the year and model of your car, mines a 2002 1.6 petrol. As for the ribbon cable, if it is broken then forget it ! But unless you let the centre of the comm2000 move way out of position, I doubt that the cable is broken. Check all the connectors are clean and tight. and recheck the two that connect to the airbag. Sometimes they don't clip in properly.
I`ve just checked all the connections and can`t find any that feels loose or anything ? Now I`m little unsure what to do ? I don`t really want to take it to peugeot but I`m also not sure if that buying a new comm unit will fix now ?

I`ve checked the connections under the seats as well but they seem ok, it was just a case of mine came off with no airbag light new didn`t fit so old one refitted then airbag light came on ? I wouldnt care but now its an MOT failure so it needs sorting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know what you mean about the MOT, I had to get mine sorted for the same reason. The best advice I can give you is get it checked by someone near you with the planet 2000 software. There's a map on here somewhere, that shows where members of this forum with the software are. They will plug a laptop into your car and tell you exactly what the problem is. They'll do it for a fraction of the cost that a dealer or independent garage will charge. By the way, mine turned out to be the drivers seat belt causing the fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for that I`ll have a look into finding that map, I`m going to order a new (2nd hand) com unit as I need to sort the indicator stalk and see if that also sorts the airbag light as well but if that don`t work I`ll see if there is anyone near me that can find the source of the fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi my 1st post or 2nd

i have this problem i been out in car this morning no light turned off then come back to car a hour later to go out again and there it is airbag light on and a bleeping airbag fault display on dash where do i start know my way around cars and that put dont have laptop stuff for codes if any one lives near st helens would be able take car to them for price to find fault thanks in advance.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi quick update on this one, I bought a 2nd hand comm 2000 from an online breakers with the hope to sort both problems. When it arrived the indicators felt ok so my mate fitted it. When I drove it later the indicators are not as good as they should be and the airbag light stayed on !!! So back I went to get him to take it off.

Whilst taking off we had a better look at the actual airbag and lo and behold a bent pin on the airbag side !!Straightened it out and airbag back on and now no light so I`ve decided to live with a slightly looser but better than I started with indicator stalk.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and hopefully this may help someone else :thumb:

P.S The new one came with a cruise control stalk thats not required so anyone know how much it`ll go for on ebay ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cheers for that I didn`t know that, so when the indicator is sorted I`ll be able to MOT and have a bit of breathing time to find the airbag fault if not sorted with the com.
Did you switch the ignition on before you reconnected the airbag on the wheel? Maybe to test the new com unit?
Because that will cause the airbag light to stay on even when you reconnect the airbag.
£30 code scanner off ebay will knock it off for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you switch the ignition on before you reconnected the airbag on the wheel? Maybe to test the new com unit?
Because that will cause the airbag light to stay on even when you reconnect the airbag.
£30 code scanner off ebay will knock it off for you.
Na it turned out to be a bent pin on the air bag :lol: so all sorted now :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts