Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening all,

Working on a cousins 307 hdi 90, had issues at mot where could not be tested as diesel was all over the underside and obviously leaking. Turned out to be someone had changed the fuel level device under the back seat, not replaced the plastic seal and siliconed it back up, obviously didnt work for long. anyway, replaced this and made the job correct with new seal, fixed and abs issue with it on rear , took car for 20 minute drive, no lights or warning displays and fuel leak resolved.
Next issue was that after purchasing the car 9 months ago i serviced it for him and advised a thermostat change as a precaution, didnt follow my advice and when the cold weather came the car over heated. Luckily it damaged the thermostat main housing off the block and not the head, ok roll on a few weeks after having a very slow water leak from housing that i couldnt cure because 1 of the 2 mating surfaces was no longer flat anymore. anyway, after replacing the complete thermostat housing from the head including new stat(which i did after the other stuck closed and overheated(i managed to get quite alot of water all over the top right side of the engine and over a sensor or 2 oxygen sensor being the main water logged one)) Cleaned off and put it back together.Started car and after a few seconds came up with anti pollution fault(never had any issues until the stat full housing change, no dpf on this model) over the next day or 2 the car would randomly go into limp mode and run like a sack of, we are now at the point where it is constantly on, clears with a restart then comes back on sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after 2 miles but it always comes back on.
Initially i thought the head was damaged and my thinking kind of went like this, after replacng the full stat housing the pressures in the water system were correct for the first time in proibably 3 months or so, i assumed that this may have been head gasket damage, initially i thought it was losing / using water, but i can confirm that it was just the levelsettling down after the housing change(system bled correctly) there is no oil in water or vice versa, no smoke out the back and no water level drop and so i think it safe to assume that the head is fine.
Wondering if anyone has any ideas or seen similar issues with the hdi 90? i have checked all connections etc, the only other thing i have really noticed is that when the maf sensor is disconnected whilst running and plugged back in, it makes no difference to how the vehicle runs at all, literally no change in revs etc. I am kind of scratching my head at this point but am going to try and get it onto a machine at some point next week to see what fault codes it throws. The only other thing that seems to make a difference is if you remove the fuel lines from the fuel tank pump under the seat, it was intermittent until the last time i removed them(it may just be co incidence or me clutching at straws) and now they are continuosly on.
Sorry for the long post, just wondering if there are any people that deal with things like this day to day and can give me any pointers please. Im thinking maf or oxygen sensor, i dont think a maf would cause limp mode(please correct me if im wrong)
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
It is a diesel so there is no oxygen sensor as such! If there is no difference when the Maf is disconnected then it means its OK. I have along ongoing anti pollution causing limp mode and you will need the codes read with the pp2000 reader to see what relevant codes you have logged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a diesel so there is no oxygen sensor as such! If there is no difference when the Maf is disconnected then it means its OK. I have along ongoing anti pollution causing limp mode and you will need the codes read with the pp2000 reader to see what relevant codes you have logged.
Thank you for the responses, was probably the lambda sensor i got wet then, hadn't chased it back, just assumed that was what it was when i said oxygen sensor. That's interesting about the maf, thank you for that, yes i plan to have it on a machine in the week with a little luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I had my mechanic run a fault diagnostic on it today(delphi system laptop) there were a couple of faults 1, was a maf sensor fault and the other 2 faults he got were p1166 and p1164, it went for about 40 minutes without a fault and then sure enough after the fault came, engine sounded like a sack of . . . ., limited to 3000 revs and extrememly high fuel pressure through the rail, hence the loud diesel knock type of noise.
the one fault pointed to the pressure regulator, as soon as the fault appeared, you can see the pressure in the rail go from the correct amount up to 536 psi or there abouts at idle and up to around 1000 at fairly high revs(revs restricted to 3000 and no turbo working when fault happens)

I have seen a few threads about the fuel pressure regulator, i did read somewhere that this regulator just receives messages from the ecu and does not send anything to the ecu, any pointers anyone please?

TIA

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
What size engine? Does the car have a priming bulb?

The Delphi is a good all-rounder, but you're best getting the car on planet.

The P1164 points to fuel pressure signal, so you may need to give the HP sensor a once over, it's in the end of the fuel rail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both the regulator and the sensor are not sold separately so if replacement is required the units have to be replaced. In the case of the sensor that would mean the fuel rail.
Hi,

I managed to get pretty much all i need fuel pressure regulator, sensore and couple of other bits off a known working vehicle at scrtap yard, for the princley sum of £10. Hopefully i will get back onto the vehicle on Saturday weather permitting and at least i can start the process of elimination now. I will come back and update on the results. quick question, the seal on the fuel pressure regulator, im assuming it needs to be replaced now it has been disturbed?

Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are not sold separately by peugeot but are easily available elsewhere its possibly just a wiring issue though.
Hi, i was leaning towards something like this type of hypothesis, i have an electrical tester coming in the morning, so i will put that through it's paces also no doubt. Out of interest, have you come across similar issues?
thanks for the response.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just thought i would update the thread quickly, took the car for re mot which it passed, light went out on the way back, came on the following day for 2 minutes and not come back since, so at the minute, all is well . I had all the bits ready to change and as it wnet away for a good few miles decided to let my cousin use it, it seems to have cleared up all by itself. I have never known a car like it tbh. Hoping i dont need to come back fo rmore advice, but thanks for all the pointers from you all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts