Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a problem with the abs on her car. The brakes judder intermittently and ABS light comes on intermittently as well. If the light appears it is usually 15 or so mins after starting out.

I've driven the car and never seen the light come on but I have noticed the brakes judder intermittently.

So I've been asked to help out if I can.

Reading up on this site suggests that rust could be causing the issue, but without a code reader I don't know for certain and not too sure which wheel is causing the problems, although the juddering sounds as though it is coming from the front wheels.

I've checked up on the diagnostics map but the nearest person from me is about an hour away (I live neat Warwick).

So my wife is asking can the abs be turned off as the juddering is putting off driving the car?

Should we get a local dealer to run a code check to see what is causing the issue, or should I just take each wheel off and do the checks myself hoping that its the rust causing the problems?

I've not got access to a ramp so usually have to do any car work on the drive, so this time of year brings its problems especially fitting it around work.

My wife has had lots of problems with this car. Its done 65k and she is the only owner.

If a garage is asked to fix, as it is an intermittent issue she is concerned it could be a very expensive fix, which could may not fix the problem.

Luckily the abs light didn't appear during the mot.

Any advice much appreciated.

·
5,886 Posts
Symptoms are common for rear sensor gap issue

Remove rear wheels and shine torch down behind rear disk if the sensor is more than 1 mm from the rear of the hub then 90% chance that is the issue.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Is the ABS light coming on? If so then that usually means the ABS is switched off hence the warning. If the juddering happens before the warning it usually means the ABS is operating because a wheel across an axle has a failed sensor and the ABS sees that as a locked wheel i.e. no rotation due no signal. It then switches off the Abs and "normal" system braking takes over. If before the message appears and you use the brakes and they judder from take off and continually press the brakes every minute or so then the ABS has not had long enough to decide to switch off as each brake press resets the timing clock. If no brakes are pressed after about a minute or two then it will trigger the abs fail message and normal unjuddering braking will be there. I have it on my 307 and it has come down to the front right wheel bearing needs replacing due to it carries the trigger for the sensor. I have already replaced the sensor by the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To find out if any of the wheel abs sensors are faulty or not is there a method I can use to find out without a diagnostic check?

I've got a multi meter but not too sure where is the best place to check each sensor?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Reading through the forum using "abs sensor fault finding" had a 407 with abs fault and it seems to have the same abs pickup as my 307 which has a magnetic ring as part of the bearing and the sensor has 2 pins. According to the chap these sensors have to be powered to be able to check their resistance!

·
5,886 Posts
Multi meter on ac volts should show if sensor is working.

Rule of thumb is if abs light goes out on start up. Sensors have passed electrical self test so should be OK.

Light goes out on startup and comes on when driving. Sensor speed info incorrect often due to sensor gap, sensor ring or similar faults

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
you could always clean the sensors and hopefully it will fix it

you cant turn the abs off. most cheap obd tools dont do abs anyway. im probabl y the closest to you :thumb:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
But how do you "get in" to the sensor circuit to check when they have to be connected to receive the voltage?
You unplug each sensor individually from the loom, connect the multimeter to the pins in the sensor plug, then spin the wheel. If the sensor is working, it will register a voltage while the wheel spins. If you don't get a voltage reading, the next thing to do is check the toothed ring for dirt and clean if dirty. Also check the air gap between the sensor and the ring, remove any metal filings off the sensor while at it.

You can also read the resistance of each sensor, they should all be within a small amount of each other. But this test is normally only done if you get an ABS fault light, it is done to determine which sensor may be faulty by having a resistance which is quite different to the others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts