Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, sorry if this has been covered but having trouble finding answers.

2 weeks ago my turbo went on the way to my sisters, got recovered and paid a local garage £880 to replace turbo with a recondition one from turbo solutions.

On the 270 mile trip home I noticed black smoke and the turbo sounded very loud, woosh.

Took it very gentle the last 40 miles and car is now sat on driveway.

I have checked the Air intake from air filter, through turbo up to metal intake. No obstructions or leaks.
Turbo is not wobbly and seems to rotate freely.
I have checked turbo oil filter. and am in the process of removing sump to clean it. Will also replace oil filter and oil (which is the only thing the garage suggests). I can't take it back to the garage and i'm on rations for the month till i get payed on the 25th.
If Turbo isn't sorted by then I'm going to purchase Peugeot Planet and will attempt any future work myself.

The turbo oil filter was fine and my next step is to check the wastegate and connections. Where is this located please? Also is the EGR related/connected to the Wastegate or are these the same thing? Just trying to think of things I can check for free

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Sounds like a pipe off or split, run your hand underneath all pipes that's usually where they split.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bet i'm working till 7 tonight but i'll have a look then. do the pipes run over the top of the turbo?

Also do you recommend anywhere to buy peugot planet hardware (ebay?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As another thought. Could this be related to back pressure?
When turbo went there was a small ammount of oil leaking from turbo. After i gave the turbo a wiggle and we started the engine again we had a small puddle of oil from exhaust (assuming exhaust side oil seal disslodged). When the garage pitched up to recover vehicle his winch was bust so he drove the car on to the flatbed. Covered the street with a couple of litres.
After I picked car up from garage I had to burn around a car park for 20 minutes to burn of oil in exhaust. Could the oil have buggered the cat which in turn is creating turbo issue's?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi, I changed my turbo this month and the guy on ebay I bought the recon'd turbo from sent me all the replacement parts and a guide on what should be done.

I can't believe the garage didn't change the oil & filter! When I changed my turbo I replaced the oil feed pipe and the sump pickup and gave the engine a flush 3 times before putting the new turbo on. I also cleaned all the pipes and the flushed the intercooler which was full of oil. After 500 miles I will change the oil and filter again.

When a turbo goes it's not just a simple replacement part as so many other things need to done to protect the turbo from premature failure.

I assume they changed the feed pipe? All the suppliers I spoke to wouldn't warranty the turbo if the feed pipe wasn't changed, in my case this was the cause of the problem so I can see why they insist this is changed.

If I were you I'd change the oil and filter ASAP. The problem you have now is that the garage is so far away, if the new turbo fails it will be difficult for you to take it back to them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone, Recieved my Lexia console yesterday and have spent most of the night getting it to work from laptop.
I've attatched an image of the faults that the ECU came up with. It seems to be pointing me toward airflow signal and diesel injection system. If thats the case why does the Turbo sound so loud. I've checked the oil feed pipes, removed and cleaned sump. Will be replacing oil and filter in next day or 2. The only tube I can see coming off the turbo (wastegate wise) is the one that comes of the side and goes to the actuator. I can barley see it but it feels ok. Access is pretty tight in there and i cracked the windowscreen trying to remove air intake that goes down side of engine.
Any help appreciated

·
Registered
276 Posts
If I were you I'd make a note of those faults (you have the screenshot) and then clear them, then do another global test and see which ones reoppear.

The open circuit faults could just be that the items were disconnected when the ignition was on.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i had a whooshing noise, sounded like the blowers in the car were coming on also. followed by lots of black smoke.

turned out the air intake pipe was split on the inside of a corner. didnt spot it when i glanced in, wasnt until i decided to push and sqeeze the pipes checking my fingers went straight into the pipe on the split.

me being me, in the middle of nowhere decided to try and fix this split using a whole roll of electrical tape....not good....the pressure split the tape and the car replaced the whoosh with a squeek...very similar to that of a very squeeky fart.....the looks i got.

so check all the intake pipes but using your hands and fingers. even check the clips that lock the pipes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try reseting codes. I've had a really good feel of pipes and they are ok. How do you use pp2000 to view real time information? And is there anywhere that have a list of what the parameters should read?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ignore last comment. Playing around and found all that i need.
When carrying out the EGR solenoid valve test and EGR Butterfly Valve test. Is the noise loud as I can't hear it doing anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers ribs. Managed to hear both after neighbour put jet washer away :).
I cleared the faults and none are latched. I'll buy some oil and filter tomorrow and strike it up.
Having difficulty fitting the air ducting that travels to turbo down the side of the engine. Would like to remove to inspect. Anyone managed to get this out without removing subframe (Haynes manual - remove subframe)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So I've plugged pp2000 in today with engine started, I have no Faults!
Turbo still doesn't sound good. I then looked at parameters, pressed save button. Does anyone know whether this feature works and if so where to access save data.
I made a note of parameters out of tolerance;
---------------------------Idle---2000rpm
Measured Air Flow----------280----320-mg/impulse
Air Flow setting-------------280----320-mg/impulse
EGR valve electrovalve OCR--71-----65-%
EGR throttle electrovalve----58------55-%
pre-injection advance--------8------12-degrees
main injection advance-----(-3)------0-degrees

I'm also not covinced the wastegate actuator is functioning. When the engine is off the rotary arm, that the linkage atatches to, is pretty much vertical. When engine is idle it is in the same place. With engine off I had a go at pushing arm clockwise (toward passenger side), very very stiff but flicked back after, normal?

My understanding of the wastegate is that when engine off Actuator arm extended, wastegate open, minimum boost
Engine idle actuator arm retracted wastegate closed full boost.

Does the arm travel from retracted to extended in the direction of driver/s to pass/s?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm also not covinced the wastegate actuator is functioning. When the engine is off the rotary arm, that the linkage atatches to, is pretty much vertical. When engine is idle it is in the same place. With engine off I had a go at pushing arm clockwise (toward passenger side), very very stiff but flicked back after, normal?
Try doing an actuator test in PP2000, with the engine running it should move in and out. Without the engine runing it should still go in and out a few times until the reserve has been used.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which actuator test? I only have 2 x EGR tests, pre/post heating relay and power relay under misc. the other 2 headers are fan test and high pressure components test

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK SO, started car up and got wife to rev it. Wastegate valve does not move at all.
Could be that mechanic has re-assembled it wrong when turbo replaced?
Could be oil got sucked up actuator vacum pipe?
How should the system function? I know the general theory behind it but need to know specific's. Spring tension (hard, soft), rest position of valve etc

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I bought my turbo the actuator was supplied with it. I'd be suprised if the garage had to use your old one because it has be adjusted and set right.

I don't have time at the moment but when I get a minute I'l stick PP2000 on my car and let you know where the Actuator test shows up.

It will be different for you because I have a 1.6 engine but it might give you a clue where to look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more research i'm doing and i think that maybe this wastegate leaves turbo in on position and actuator will only move with high rev's under load. I have removed exhaust to ensure cat blockage wasn't effecting it.
I have uploaded a video to youtube, as always any help appreciated

1 - 20 of 27 Posts