Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. The other day I was happily driving along in my 307cc when suddenly it lost all power and beeped a lot. I took it to the side of the road and as it continued to run I drove him with a complete lack of power and no acceleration.

Fast forward to today where I plugged in PP2000 and read a load of messages regarding misfires but one that stood out was cam sensor.

If I remove the connector from cylinder 3 and 4 (4 being the cam-belt end) I still get the same tickover (i.e it makes no difference).

Could I have jumped a tooth on the belt to cause this? I would have thought I would have problems with 1 and 4 or 2 and 3 if it was a coil pack issue.

I have no idea what to do with it.

cheers,

Alan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it the diesel or petrol?

PP2000 can show cam/crank sync, but the only definitive way to tell is to find TDC and pin it.
It is indeed a Petrol engine. Its a 2.0 16v model. Ill look into the cam/crank sync.

Although I have pp2000 running I really don't understand the software much except how to read fault codes tbh as I haven't really had to use it since I purchased it and set it up.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
on PP2000, run a global test, go into engine management ecu, then parameters measurement. Check through the engine-based options (eg. injectors), and there might be a parameter which says cam/crank synchronisation.

I say might because i've not seen it on all models of peugeot. It was present on my 307 hatch, but not on the works 307sw.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so pleased you clarified that.. I was searching high and low for it and had no joy. I did see lots of things I didn't understand but nothing to do with the sync of crank and cam sensor.

Having reset all errors and running it again with the 2 injectors connected again I only received a p0300 message.

Ill have to have a look at tdc location at the weekend and see if I can sort it. It feels like an old-school timing issue. I'm reluctant to (and cant afford to) just buy the usual cam sensor/coil packs/crank sensors, plugs etc. etc that seem to be listed as "possibles".

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
cam and crank sync is a diesel thing it tends not to be on petrol engine parameters

RFN engines suffer from bad coilpacks which can damage the ecu coil outputs you can test the coil in planet somewhere

Checking the timing on these is a pain as they are NOT timed at tdc you need a pin for each cam and a big pin in the rear of the block casting into the flywheel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cam and crank sync is a diesel thing it tends not to be on petrol engine parameters

RFN engines suffer from bad coilpacks which can damage the ecu coil outputs you can test the coil in planet somewhere

Checking the timing on these is a pain as they are NOT timed at tdc you need a pin for each cam and a big pin in the rear of the block casting into the flywheel
Yep.. it is indeed an RFN engine. The test of the coilpack were where I first wondered if it had slipped a tooth. I ran the test and the software came back advising it was OK. I also checked the injectors using the PP2000 check and they came back as being fine. I think despite my better judgement it might be worth picking up a coilpack as I have read that they are prone to failing but didnt expect them to break without any warning.

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
Planet test is usually accurate did you actually listen for the sparks on each output as if you hear output its probably fine if faulty it will say so and you wont hear the output spark

Egr valves can stick open but thats rare

Try swapping plugs around to see if the fault changes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the plugs out and found a couple to be pretty oily and covered in fuel. Will whip them out tomorrow, clean them up and do a bit of a shuffle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It felt like head gasket fail when it went. Was only at about 2,000 rpm when it all went wrong. I couldn't see any oil/coolant mix when I looked. Its something I should check in great detail. I think i should go and buy a compression tester tomorrow. That will at least show me if its worth spending time and effort on.

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
Oil and water mixing is only 1 symptom of gasket failure gaskets fail in many ways and not all cause oil and water to mix if it were a diesel then on them you never get oil and water mixing !

It could be gasket but they are not common to go between cylinders on this engine compression test would help though

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like failing injectors. You can get a rack for about £50.
I have never heard of a 307 slipping a tooth while running. Heard of cambelts blowing to pieces, but they dont slip.
A failing injector will not always show in PP. Try your local scrapper, see if you can borrow one, to test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Compression test..

Just got a compression tester delivered. All looks fine. I did not do a wet test but all 4 are at 150-155 with no throttle.

Ive read about valve problems on this but it was running fine and suddenly did this.

Im going to do some ebay searching..

At least it doesn't appear to be head gasket fail.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check that the Coil's harness connector is fastened and insulated

then, disassemble coils module - verify that the coils inside the gasket are clean properly, then replaced all spark plugs whatever their condition (I assume that you already verified that your motor air filter is clean).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fixed

I just wanted to make a post to advise what the problem was. Theres nothing more frustrating than finding a post of exactly the same problem with no resolution posted!

The problem was the coil pack.

I purchased a bank of injectors and a coil pack. Swapped the coil pack out first and it fired straight up.

Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I agree Alanism. You also get members desperate for help and so you arrange to travel across country to help using the pp2k kit and they then stop communicating all together just before the journey and have not bothered yet to tell what happened and why! There should be rules added to the requirements of the forum to complete a thread one way or another so that the members can all learn and info is added to the data base for future,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts