Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again, I thought I would ask you knowledgeable people first this time before I get stuck.

So I have been having an intermittent fault with starting, turns over very slowly like it's got a flat battery but I have fitted a new battery and it makes no difference so I am thinking it is the starter motor.

Euro Car Parts have a couple of cheap starters but given my track record of wrong parts from them I am dubious. They've got an RTX and a Lucas but these are shown as 1.4Kw and confusingly 10/13 teeth.

Now I believe the number of teeth is not critical but whilst reading up on Google it would appear the power of the starter can be important. The existing starter is a Mitsubishi M001T80481 but I cannot find the Kw rating of this. There seem to be plenty of scrap Mitsubishi starters online but I'm not sure I trust a scrap starter.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. On the strength of your excellent advice I have ordered a 1.7Kw starter from a firm in Manchester, should be here Monday. It says it's new but for £65 it must be a "re-manufactured unit", looks exactly like my existing Mitsubishi starter.

Double checked on the phone that it should fit my car so wish me luck for Monday!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Best of luck, you should certainly notice a difference. My car used to turn over slowly but had always started but I was not confortable that it would always do so.
I changed the starter and I would say that the motor turned over at about twice the speed, so well worth changing it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I replaced my starter with a used one from a 2.2 407. It made a world of difference from the wheezy one that was on before. I think the original was a 1.4Kw. Not sure what the output is of the 407 one is though, but I assume 1.7 or greater.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update time. New starter motor in...WOW what a difference.

Originally I was in two minds if it was the starter at all as it just seemed like a dud battery causing the sluggish turn over but now I realise the starter motor has been slowing dying for the last couple of years. It has gone from a painfully slow sluggish lump, recently failing to start at all on occasions, to now firing up like a jet engine.

Reasonably straight forward too. Just had to take out the air filter housing and the fuel filter housing to get access to the starter.

Mind you there was a sting in the tail. Thought I might as well change the fuel filter element while I had it out, a job I have done without incident countless times. This time the lid of the fuel filter wouldn't sit back on properly and I didn't realise until I tried to fire it up. Oh dear what a mess.

One more job ticked off the list, now just the clogged DPF, replace broken front spring, new brake pads etc. etc. Then I might risk putting it in for an MOT to see if it is worth keeping for another year.

Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts