Peugeot Forums banner

307 2.0 Hdi gearbox oil change

23K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Gecko 
#1 ·
yes this has been asked quite a few times before, and ive spent ages searching.

theres another thread with the same 307 as mine but doesnt say which year.

I know normally you fill through the side of the gearbox using the level bolt. But thats a bit of a pain.

Im sure my gearbox has a breather at the top, service box seems to say so aswell, but then ive read of gearboxes having a blank spot for cars with no ABS (speed sensor) and filling through here doesnt actually fill the gearbox.

Dont want to drain my box and drive away with no/little oil actually in the gearbox.

Also what size is the sump plug. the haynes manual as per leaves out small but inportant details saying you may need a square sump socket availible from puegot or a large socket (size haynes seriously could you not say what size?!)

I need to pickup tools and the set i was going to get does up to 19mm but i think the sump plug if its the gearbox i think it is maybe 20mm socket if not using the square drive.

then theres the sealing washer - size haynes comon size.

So what gearbox do i have, can i fill through the breather, is it a breather. What size are the sump bolt etc.

this is a simple job made complicated by lack of information combined with lots of posts with vague info.

2004 307 estate 2.0 hdi 90
VF33ERHYB83649626

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

If your gearbox is the same as mine, I actually find it easier to fill from the side. I just put it on full lock to the N/S and push the arch liner forward an inch or so to gain access to the plug. Plus I know when its full as it dribbles out.

Regarding your sump plug, you need one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Car-Axle-Gearbox-Oil-Sump-Drain-Key-Plug-Set-Kit-Vehicle-Tools-5-Pc-56627-/381200027335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58c14acec7 available from most motor factors or even the dreaded Halfords.

One of the service tools I can't do without anymore!

Not many places will actually advise on the sump plug washer anymore so the only options are to buy a selection (probably only a few quid) or take yours to the shop to get a replacement.

#4 ·
If there is no filler plug it's 2 ltrs of oil in via the breather. The breather is on top of the gearbox (under battery) not the blanked off speed sensor hole on the dif housing.

Best oil is BV75/80 oil as this is original fill. You can use GL4/5 EP 75/90 (recommended on some sites as suitable) but you often get stiff gear changes when cold if used.

#6 ·
Hi,

If your gearbox is the same as mine, I actually find it easier to fill from the side. I just put it on full lock to the N/S and push the arch liner forward an inch or so to gain access to the plug. Plus I know when its full as it dribbles out.

Regarding your sump plug, you need one of these Draper Car Axle Gearbox Oil Sump Drain Key Plug Set Kit Vehicle Tools 5 Pc 56627 | eBay available from most motor factors or even the dreaded Halfords.

One of the service tools I can't do without anymore!

Not many places will actually advise on the sump plug washer anymore so the only options are to buy a selection (probably only a few quid) or take yours to the shop to get a replacement.
Great thanks ! i would have got the wrong tool as i was looking at a square sump plug not hex

Also, for future reference, this is where your gearbox number is located...

Thanks ill look at what gearbox i have

DW10TD - RHY - 2.0 90 hdi - hexagon sump plug with inner hex hole - sump plug key is 8mm hex. Sump plus washer is crushable copper 14mm.
Awesome thanks.

I can now get the oil and correct tool.

Oil and filter, gearbox oil change here i come

#7 ·
I know normally you fill through the side of the gearbox using the level bolt. But thats a bit of a pain.

Im sure my gearbox has a breather at the top, service box seems to say so aswell, but then ive read of gearboxes having a blank spot for cars with no ABS (speed sensor) and filling through here doesnt actually fill the gearbox.
I've never found it a problem. Jack up the front nearside, take off the wheel and push the wheel arch liner slightly to one side and you have easy access. I'd much rather fill it up this way than in a breather hole, especially one that I think is trickier to reach and increases the risk of oil spillage or messing around with pipes.

#15 ·
if you dont warm the oil before hand ( I put the oil container in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes ) you have to pour very slowly or it goes all over the place. If you warm the oil,ilt goes in a treat!
i know this is an old thread, and sorry for the stupid question, but do you remove the breather before filling, or does the flexible pipe fit into the breather?

i just bought some 75-80 and was hoping to replace the gear oil this weekend. mine is a 2003 2.0 xse petrol, but i believe the breather looks like the picture you posted.

#17 ·
I had to fill it in stages, heated up the oil using the hot water method. i actually put more in than i took out because I think there's a leak at the bolt / plug.

can anyone confirm if the bolt is an m8 and what the appropriate washer would be?

#18 · (Edited)
Car seemed to run fine for a couple of days then all of a sudden, today now does the sputter and stall, like it didn't want to move/start so I quickly returned home. I think there was a low oil indicator but checked with dipstick and seemed spot on

Only thing I've done recently was the gear oil (going from red coloured stuff to clear)

ETA. It appears it's my oil, I was parked on an incline and got the oil light ( 0 - - - - - ). Car later ran better after parking flat. I'm going to replace the oil with 0w40 tomorrow, just need to buy a filter removal tool because it's on extremely tight.

ETA (ii). Replaced oil with 0w40 seems to be running a lot better. Still get the engine shake at startup, so probably need to look at hydraulic tappets or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.