Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Thought I'd ask here as a bit stuck.

Basically, had a car that had to replace the ECU in as car would turn over but not start, and the ECU was definitely broken. From what I've read, I knew you had to replace the BSI, key and transponders along with this. So managed to get hold of an ECU with the exact same model number, Hardware number and software number as the old one. Also picked up a BSM, didn't know if I needed it or not but replaced it too.

On replacing all these parts, the car did start and ran fine, but there are a couple problems. There are quite a lot of warning lights up, there are no miles displayed what so ever, the rev counter does not move, and the remote locking doesn't work. I have tried to BSI reset and program the key but couldn't seem to get any further forward.

Does any one else know what needs to be done in order to get it back to normal?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Lewis

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
If car runs no need to program the key

you need to go into configuration in peugeot planet and check the settings even though the parts are the same the doner car might have been a different spec

Remote locking should work if key matches bsi did all parts come from same car

Clear the faults and see what comes back may have already been stored in the memory in doner car.

·
5,891 Posts
Check the BSI config. Even with identical numbers on units they are configured to each cars spec. donor may not have had rev counter or central locking etc so may need to be set to present in BSI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If car runs no need to program the key

you need to go into configuration in peugeot planet and check the settings even though the parts are the same the doner car might have been a different spec

Remote locking should work if key matches bsi did all parts come from same car

Clear the faults and see what comes back may have already been stored in the memory in doner car.
Is peugeot planet the only way to do this? Also, I couldnt use the old BSI with the new ECU could I? Thanks

Lewis

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
A code reader will clear the codes but you need planet for configuration.

You might be able to code the new ecu to old bsi but again you would need planet although i think the ecu is locked to bsi and write once although i could be wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A code reader will clear the codes but you need planet for configuration.

You might be able to code the new ecu to old bsi but again you would need planet although i think the ecu is locked to bsi and write once although i could be wrong.
Yeah I had read that, was hoping to avoid having to go and find someone with planet or pay the dealer, but looks like I'm going to have to :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again, phoned around the dealers, the one near me the guy is unfortunatly away till the 29th, and all phoned another about 50 minutes away from me, they said it might not work coding all the things I have together?

I noticed on the new BSI the pins are different on some of the plug, I'm guessing that's why the instrument panel isn't working? If so, can anyone confirm for definite that the old bsi could be coded to the new ECU?

Thanks
Lewis

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
My advice Lewis is go to a scrap yard , tell the scrap man what car you have and what fuel system , he will give you a matching set of BSI , Engine ECU and Transponder keys ,

Put that all in the car , swap the blades from your keys to new transponder fobs and that`ll do it ,

Remember whatever BSI you put in your car will always register the highest miles , so try and get one with lower miles than your original .:thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My advice Lewis is go to a scrap yard , tell the scrap man what car you have and what fuel system , he will give you a matching set of BSI , Engine ECU and Transponder keys ,

Put that all in the car , swap the blades from your keys to new transponder fobs and that`ll do it ,

Remember whatever BSI you put in your car will always register the highest miles , so try and get one with lower miles than your original .:thumb:
Was hoping you would answer :p

But, that's exactly what I did, went to a breakers, got an ECU, BSI, BSM key and transponder ring. Put that all in, and the car now starts, but the instrument panel does not appear to be functioning correctly. No revs, speedo, miles, fuel gauge or tempreture. Also warning lights on but they may need cleared.

The ECU was the exact same part number as the original, with matching hardware and software numbers. However, the BSI unit was pretty similar, but some of the pins were different than on the original unit, some missing some places, some extra in others. Would this affect it? If so then I would need to get it coded to the original BSI?

When I phoned up a couple peugeot dealers, they said it might not work to recode, but it might? :confused:

All help is much appreciated!

Lewis

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
ECU is a one shot wonder , you cannot code it to another BSI , can you take whole set back and ask for another set of a different but same car , also check your fuses for instrument panel incase one`s blown.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ECU is a one shot wonder , you cannot code it to another BSI , can you take whole set back and ask for another set of a different but same car , also check your fuses for instrument panel incase one`s blown.
So do you reckon Peugeot will be successful in programmig the car with the new ecu and bsi? Checked the fuses and ubfortunatly all are fine, I get warning lights just no needles. Do you think the diffetent pinout is making it malfunction?
Thanks for all your help

Lewis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I`m guessing there is a slight difference , can you go into BSI with pp2000 and check configuration and ECU`s present?
Not sure as I don't currently have PP, and I'm a bit far away from anyone as I live in the North-East of Scotland. How much does one cost?

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
£60 from china or about £110 from Jim at easydignostics who I'd recommend as he set it up remotely , I have his mobile if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
£60 from china or about £110 from Jim at easydignostics who I'd recommend as he set it up remotely , I have his mobile if needed.

How long do they usually take to arrive? And is it straight forward enough to use?

Thanks again for the help.
Lewis

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
China up to 4 weeks but could be a week ,
Jim I would think in a few days ,
Hardest part is loading the bloody thing that's where Jims item is better , he'll do it all online for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
China up to 4 weeks but could be a week ,
Jim I would think in a few days ,
Hardest part is loading the bloody thing that's where Jims item is better , he'll do it all online for you

Got my Planet yesterday, tried using it first on the new ecu and bsi, but then Planet comes up saying "PP2000 cannot reference ECU. Trying to reference ECU". It also says "ECU has not replied". When doing a global scan, I didn't get as many options as I thought I would, and the bsi didn't appear in the list.

So after a while of trying to figure the program out, I switched to the old BSI and ECU, then tried a read, the ECU immediatly came up with "ECU has not replied", making me think that the ECU is definetly broken, which was expected. I also had much more modules this time, including the BSI. I logged into the BSI and it appears it has actually kept all of it's settings and has not been wiped.

Then tried original BSI with new ECU, the ECU came up saying something like "Incorrect BSI and ECU match, fit new ECU." Is there a way I can code the old BSI with the new ECU, with "replacement parts"?

Or does anyone else have an other suggestions? Really pulling my hair out with this now, just want the car working and out of my life now! :p

Thanks again.
Lewis

·
5,891 Posts
Find a good local auto electrician or someone that chips/tunes cars and ask if they can swap over ECU EEPROM or copy data over from old to new ECU.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Find a good local auto electrician or someone that chips/tunes cars and ask if they can swap over ECU EEPROM or copy data over from old to new ECU.
I do remapping professionally, the old ECU is broken, don't think any data can be recovered from it unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts