Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to forums so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. The turbo has gone on my 307 2.0 hdi 90 bhp model and just wanting some advice on how you remove them. It looks a complete pig as its right down the back of the engine. The method I have come up with so far is. Top and bottom engine mount off, inlet manifold off, then extract the exhaust manifold studs and bring the whole turbo with manifold out over the top of the engine??. also does anyone know what size allen socket i'm going to need to undo the turbo oil feed banjo that goes into the engine block? any help would be greatly appriciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Quite sure it's the turbo it makes a noise like a dentist drill. It even makes the noise at start up as soon as the turbo starts turning. for a few weeks before it became constant I noticed a noise like a bird tweeting under the bonnet which seemed to be coming from the inlet. the noise is coming directly from the turbo inlet as when I take the inlet pipe off it's deafening. the compressor wheel seems to have been touching the housing too as it had a few marks the other week but now it's shiny all the way around. I bought the car in may last year and when I drained the oil it was like tar, air filter black didn't look like it had been serviced in years so i'm guessing that won't have done it any good

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Ok sounds like it is knacked :)

I have seen many people over the years change them for lack of boost as they were told it was faulty and it turned out it was simply a vacuum or wastegate issue hence my question i take the driveshaft out and remove downwards but you can go upwards too undo the drivers side mount and pull engine forward and remove the wiper linkage and plastic trim this will give reasonable access.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was praying for an exhaust leak until I took the inlet off just my luck :)
Thinking i'll try top way first as will hopefully save me having to drain gearbox.
doesn't look enough room to slide the exhaust manifold off the studs so looking like i'll have to extract them with the manifold in place then pull it up. Is there anyway of checking oil flow on new turbo once fitted? like cranking engine with injectors unplugged and leaving oil return hose off to see if oils flowing freely. don't suppose you know what size allen socket i'll need to undo oil feed banjo bolt that goes into engine block? Due to how little I paid for the car £400 It's not worth it to me to spend the same again buying a new turbo been looking at a few used ones on ebay some say they come with a 14 day warranty for about £40 reckon there worth a try?

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Its 12 or 14mm cant remember which think 14 though

If you pull the engine forward you will get the manifold out or 3 bolts holding turbo to manifold but they are sometimes a pain to get out !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
going to order a set of allen sockets so bound to be one in there that fits it. thanks for your help mate much appreciated be a few week yet before I get enough time to do it and get parts together ect will let you know how I get on :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got around to swapping my turbo. got a second hand one from a scrapper and drill noise is gone. turbo oil filter partiality clogged so I removed it as is now recommend by Garrett. Ended up going at it from underneath wasn't too bad a job took me two days with a Jack and axle. stands

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you mean mate about main stealer? I bought turbo used for £38 after buying new oil ect came to about £68 all in. It's pot luck with used turbos but for how little I paid for the car was worth a shot. :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I thought you were on about dealer stealers haha. I couldn't source a turbo near me so had to order and chance it off ebay so far so good. been out today and planted my foot no smoke as of yet and will check the pipes after a good few miles. If this one doesn't hold up I might get a cartridge and rebuild my old one a new/recon one to me isn't worth it going on the age of the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's two scrappers local to me one's quite reasonable the other want's an arm and a leg for everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I learnt about stealers from my boss during my apprenticeship as I always used to ask who's stealing what? ? but it's the first time I've heard it used for scrapyards. ah well now I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts