Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I'm plucking up the courage to tackle my clogged DPF.

It has been an ongoing issue ever since I've owned the car but previously a good blast down the motorway has cleared the dreaded anti pollution fault message. But now it is stubbornly refusing to shift.

Plugged it into Planet and it is telling me....Engine ECU - permanent fault - particle filter - clogged particle filter. Also particulate emission filter overloaded.

Now am I right in assuming the DPF is just simply clogged up with soot etc? I've been reading up on Google and there seems to be some suggestions that I can remove the DPF and clean it out although the search facility here is strangely quiet on the subject.

I haven't really got the hang of Planet yet so just fumbling around in the dark. In the Engine ECU - service action section I stumbled across the forced regeneration but having watched some youtube videos I chickened out. I found a post by reliable that you can check the regen interval in parameters but I couldn't find it, probably just looking in the wrong section.

I have done the simple things like fuel and air filter replacement just not sure if I should keep tinkering or just bite the bullet and tackle the DPF. There are some cheapy ones on ebay for £110 but the lack of info on the forum is making me cautious.

The car is still reasonably driveable just revs restricted so only hard acceleration such as overtaking in lower gears and boy racer starts from the lights are an issue. If it wasn't for the MOT coming up I probably wouldn't bother.

As always any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Cant understand how you can say that 'the search facility here is strangely quiet on the subject'. It has been discussed ad nauseum on the site.... :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant understand how you can say that 'the search facility here is strangely quiet on the subject'. It has been discussed ad nauseum on the site.... :confused:
Well I tried to search under "clogged DPF" and "clean clogged DPF" and a multitude of derivatives and there is absolutely nothing coming up about cleaning. I was rather surprised as there is quite a lot on Google and Youtube.

Could you put up a link to any? Cheers.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Remove your DPF wash it out and that will get it driving better but you need to fix THE REASON its clogged in the first pace.

Could be no fluid could be cap sensor could be glowplugs could be the DPF ecu is asleep could simply be the way its used but if you dont fix the cause it will just get clogged again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, I ditched the search facility here and tried on Google which lead to a couple of interesting threads from here in 2011.

I'm going to have another go with Planet as I think I understand the DPF parameters a bit better. I'm also interested in checking the sensors to see if they are blocked giving false readings as suggested in those old threads. Also I will explore the cap sensor fault, I've had that but it just seems to suggest checking and cleaning the magnets in the cap? Along with the million and one other things that it could be. I'm assuming things like low fluid and faulty glowplugs would be identified in Planet or is that just wishful thinking?

Interesting that I can just "wash" it out, I keep seeing conflicting advice. Looking at the state of the bolts I'm not sure I will even get it off the car without a fight.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
It should be held at each end with a round clamp with a single bolt through it you dont have to remove the 4 rusty bolts in the case just wash through the whole thing cat and DPF

Fluid level recorded by planet is just a calculated level based on mileage and use it does not have an actual level sensor so it can be wrong but if it says empty it NEEDS filled and reset

Cap sensor is a reed switch in the filler neck and this switch is what the magnets in the cap work if it does not work the fluid wont be fed into the fuel tank and the DPF will not regenerate.

It sounds complicated but it is a simple system that works well if kept in working order and the vehicle is driven properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It should be held at each end with a round clamp with a single bolt through it you dont have to remove the 4 rusty bolts in the case just wash through the whole thing cat and DPF

Fluid level recorded by planet is just a calculated level based on mileage and use it does not have an actual level sensor so it can be wrong but if it says empty it NEEDS filled and reset

Cap sensor is a reed switch in the filler neck and this switch is what the magnets in the cap work if it does not work the fluid wont be fed into the fuel tank and the DPF will not regenerate.

It sounds complicated but it is a simple system that works well if kept in working order and the vehicle is driven properly.
Thanks, that's was exactly the sort of thing I wanted to find out. I had assumed you had to split the DPF from the cat to flush it out.

I will keep checking the other things first and hopefully I won't have to tackle the DPF.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You WILL have to tackle the DPF as once its clogged it will not regen anyway do this first as it will help the engine breath better while its off clean out and inspect the pressure sensor pipes as these can get blocked too the sensors themselves are usually ok

·
Registered
350 Posts
I did mine not to long ago. I had the subframe down so it was easy enough to access the front clamp. Not sure how accessible it is otherwise but lowering the subframe down a little might help.

The back was seized up and needed the clamp tapping around the pipe to free it off and there's a connector for the exhaust gas temp sensor. I took the whole unit to my local petrol station and used the hyper lance jetwash. Remember to always flush in the opposite direction to the exhaust flow. Depending on how blocked it is you might get nothing followed by some black sludge water and then it should eventually run clear and flow better. Mine was almost water tight

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm surprised that driving it hard did anything; I don't understand why it would.

It's clogged with additive, not with soot.

Yes, the filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. Do it.

After doing so you need to reset the filter blockage counter in the ECU. The filter blockage is calculated by the computer; there is no sensor. (The only purpose of the differential pressure is to detect puncture.)

Forcing a regen will not unblock the filter because the filter is blocked with additive not soot.

In PP2k there are two parameters you're interested in: amount of additive left in the tank, and the amount of additive lodged in the filter. Your problem is that the latter has reached its limit.

The fluid level is calculated but it's not based on mileage. Every time you remove the fuel cap the tank is dosed with the same fixed amount of additive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update time. Work got in the way so only just got round to tackling this.

Taking the DPF/Cat off was actually easier than I was expecting, well as easy as anything ever is when you are working under a car on blocks on the drive. I decided to split the unit, out of curiosity more than anything as I wanted to see what the inside looked like. Had to get the angle grinder on the bolts as they were rusted solid, the bolts even fused into the holes with rust so that was a bit of a faff.

Inside wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting, just red dust and not that much. I flushed it out a few times until water ran clear, blew it out with a leaf blower then left it on the woodburner for 2 days.

Reassembly was reasonably straight forward, putting it back on the car was quite fiddly, far harder than taking it off. I cleaned out the pipes for the exhaust gas pressure sensor, the inlet pipe was clogged with black gunk which no doubt wasn't helping.

So the permanent fault clogged filter message is cleared and dreaded anti pollution fault message gone so at least I am getting closer to putting it in for it's MOT.

Interesting comments about additive in filter causing clogging, I wonder if that is why I had the red dust? I assumed it was just based on the exhaust gas pressure sensor as that is the only active sensor that is relaying any information about the function of the DPF. I was thinking the partially blocked inlet pipe was giving a false high pressure reading leading the ECU to think the DPF was clogged but hay ho I'm just relieved to get rid of the bloody anti pollution curse, even if only temporary while I get the MOT sorted.

Fannying about with fuel cap sensor fault now. Tested sensor and seems to be OK so following the other advice now regarding ECU etc. before I bite the bullet and replace the sensor.

Thanks for everyones advice, I really couldn't tackle these jobs without the technical support.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts