Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening. I've just bought a 307 136 HDi, which goes well enough but the economy is ok not great - 40mpg mixed driving.

I need a bit of advice please - is that about right, or could something be wrong with it? I had the filters (air, oil, fuel) done as part of the deal, it's a 2007 manual with 72k on it. I've also bunged Cataclean through it.

I was expecting 45-50mpg, I had a remapped (quoted as ~190ftlbs) 306 HDi that did 50mpg every time (before and after remap) a while ago so I was expecting less as this is heavier, but not that much less.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My 136 307sw has had a mild remap to approx 150, DPF removed, EGR blanked and returns 45mpg mixed driving.

Driving style can make a big difference - goes againts the grain but not changing up too early helps as the 136 motor is at its most economical around 1800-2000 rpm so it seems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah right, thanks - I'm not too far off the mark then, must rev lower there's the torque to get away with that. I've also got a 9000rpm RX-8 downside of that is it bogs down below 3000rpm - so a bit of mix of comfortable driving styles.

Is the economy a bit lower than other equivalent diesels, or is it just that in the 136 I've gone for a mix of grunt and economy?
I know in theory I could answer that from data sheets, but I'm not sure what to believe.

My 306 was an HDi 90, it was dog slow and not really safe for overtaking, hence the remap. So I thought I'd start off with more beef 2nd time round.

Sounds like nothing unusual/wrong with the car, at any rate - thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi mate, the economy sounds okay to me, for quite a meaty engine.

My 2.2Hdi does 40mpg round town, but as ash says, keeping the revs up helps momentum and economy, so I keep my car in 3rd gear mostly for town driving ( and quicker to blast past the local German slabs of executive blandness..:D )

Kelv.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Was there much service history with the car?

Can be worth doing a short service interval to begin with if you are unsure of the cars history. Mine was supposedly serviced before I bought it but considering the air filter was black I'm not so sure what they calssed as a service!!!!
Peugeot recommend a 20k interval!!!

Personally I service once a year or 6-8k which ever is first.

A well serviced car can add a few more MPG.

Also remember to check tyre pressures - slightly low and it will use more fuel.

All in all I'd expect 40-45 on a mixed run, 50-53 gentle motorway, 38-40 around town.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. Yes, it's been serviced but I'll check tyres - think ok, but I'll check properly.

Been down London and back today, now:

Mixed 41mpg, 262 mile run 45.5 mpg.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Your 306 had a more unrestricted engine. As much as it's better for the env, the FAPs can turn that 6l/100km engine into a 7.2l/100km engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah right, so to protect the environment we do less mpg. Sounds about right. What's a FAP? Something to do with particle emissions?

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
40 MPG is about right for the 16 valve engine the newer euro 5 spec engines do a little more

As stated above your old 306 was the 8 valve version with a simpler system and no DPF/FAP to screw everything up :)

Most modern diesels do less then their previous versions its progress !

·
Registered
287 Posts
my 307 2.0 hdi 90bho shows 47mpg, driving gentle or being nippy doesnt seemt o change it much.

though the calculated mpg via full tank to miles gives about 45mpg. (90bhp has no DPF/FAP)

It got me from glasgow to kent with still a 1/4 tank of fuel to spare so not too bad.

136bhp bound to use a bit more fuel.

clean up the exhaust fumes a little at the expense of fuel economy, sounds like no gain to me in terms of polution

·
Registered
548 Posts
Fully loaded 307sw inc stuff on rear seats and large thule roof box (circa 375ltr)

Wasn't hanging around so not driving for best economy. MPG from readout and verified accurate (near enough) from brim to brim method.

Journey down to cornwall - approx 400 miles, one stop at services - 44mpg
Journey back - no stopping - 46.2mpg

To be honest with the performance on tap, style of driving and the fact it was fully loaded with roof box I am more than happy with the results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm. It sounds like I'm still a bit low then. But judging by the instantaneous mpg, 80mph hits economy hard and I had passengers too.

I read Top Gear magazine on holiday, interesting bit on why the mpg quoted is fake...I also noticed that all of the long term test cars had far lower real life mpg than the quoted figures, like 5-10 mpg less, not just a few.

As an aside, I've done 1100 miles with a roofbox, 1000 without. mpg is 39.7 with box, 40.9 without it (according to the trip computer, maybe I should brim it to check accuracy) So 1mpg difference.

In spite of the economy being worse than I hoped, this 136 is a cracking car - I had to go Padstow to Darlington and got out feeling fine....such a comfortable cruiser.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hmmm. It sounds like I'm still a bit low then.
It certainly does, I would expect you to be reaching similar to my sw to be honest.

Assuming its had a recent service inc all filters and that the tyre pressures are not too low then its time to investigate.
Obvious things to consider would be:
Sticky EGR valve.
Faulty MAF.
Partially blocked DPF.

Getting it hooked up to planet may help when looking at live data, I'm sure someone would be able to make sense of figures.
I do have a new MAF in the sales section for 407 136, although IIRC the 307 lists two different diameters. This 407 one is 80mm?? whereas the one on mine is 70mm?? - hence the reason for the sale.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree with ash1293, except the order :)

Blocked DPF
Sticky EGR
Faulty MAF

I have a 307 2.0 110bhp. I get around 7.2 L/100km which gives, 39mpg. Week driving is 15+15 km to and from job, mostly highway (i live and work next to one)

I had a MAF error which was solved by replacing the MAF.

No errors whatsoever from the EGR (which doesn't mean the EGR itself is ok)

I do have a catalitic converter downstream temperature sensor error, and i bet it's preventing a FAP/DPF regen (it's states as intermediate, i don't have a percentage of blockage) and that, is probably why this once 43mp is now a 39mpg, or worse.

Maybe i get risky and remove the DPF/FAP entirely.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts