Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased the car just over 4 weeks ago and after about a week the clutch release bearing started to whine,and within a few days the bearing gave up all together.The car has got a 3 month warranty and the dealer promptly got a local garage to fit a new clutch assembly,release bearing,new fork,plus a new dual mass flywheel which was not covered by the warranty,but I agreed to go half's with the dealer to have it replaced.The job was done quickly and I picked the car up just over a week ago and from day one I haven't been completely happy,the reason being when you drive down an incline in 2nd gear with your foot off the gas and foot off the clutch you get a knocking vibration from the gearbox area.
This seems to happen more so in the lower gears,and also when you release the throttle and easing off the torque when changing gear.
I took the car back today and mentioned the problem to the mechanic who did the job and he took the car for a very quick test drive and said he could feel the vibration on the clutch pedal when going down hill,but said this is normal with a dual mass flywheel,which I disagree with.Reason 1,the car didn't do this with the old dual mass,and reason 2,is that I have had other cars with d/m flywheels and none acted like this.
So going back to the dealer in the morning,and let him do a test drive in it,and to be fair the dealer has been very helpful since selling me the car.
I am just wondering if the new flywheel is a duffer,as it seems to be acting like one that's worn out.
What do others think ?

·
11,722 Posts
Could it be badly fitted? Labour is such a pain they're probably trying to fob you off to accept it as it is so they don't have to strip it all down again at their time and expense.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back to the dealer who himself gave the car a road test.He could feel the vibration on the clutch pedal,and said to drive it for a few hundred miles to see if it improves when all the new parts bed in.Not 100% happy but agreed to give it a try,and as I thought after running it for over a week,still the same.
So yesterday I took the car to top class mechanic that has done work for people that I know and explained what is happening since the new clutch assembly has been fitted.So the car goes into him on Thurs so he can check everything out which will most likely be the box out again.I am most certain the problem will be found inside the bell housing as now even pulling in 3rd gear,if I touch the clutch pedal with my toe I can still feel the vibration.I have a feeling that either the new parts that have been fitted have not been fitted correctly,or one of the new parts are faulty.
Would be nice to hear from someone who has had the same problem when new clutch components have been fitted.
Apart from this issue,the car is a dream,and a wonderful drive.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
do you know what kit they fitted. i had this when i changed my wifes clutch.

it was the new style release bearing. i changed it (so had to do it twice) and its been perfect in the last two years.

the judder was awful the car was awful all round

i changed my clutch two months ago with the old style release bearing and its perfect

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sometimes I think about stuff...

Mans inhumanity to his fellow man, wars, religion, famine, pestilence, Westminster corruption and other important issues like DMF / solid flywheels.

Sure the DMF works and is used for a sorta good reason.... but was the reason just a fudge cos of 'poor' engine design and is just something else to over complicate a well proven solid flywheel design thats been in existence ever since engines got invented ?

I have a feeling that either the new parts that have been fitted have not been fitted correctly,or one of the new parts are faulty.
Yep.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pleased to read you are getting a pro to go over it but does sound like you have a doggy thrust bearing or its not been fitted properly , sorry to say .

Yes I tend to agree with solid plate clutches and try to recommend them whenever possible plus they cost less ! :)

Duel mass is as one poster said to" cover " up poor engine design and smooth out mass produced gearboxes made of plywood and paper mache !:mad:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much you guys for your idea's and suggestions,and agree with what you say about solid v d/m flywheels.When I retired in 1999 as a heavy transport fitter after 45 years in the trade,solid flywheels were the only thing that were ever used and always did the job well.
Today I thought I would go and do some more tests on the drive train to see if I could narrow it down to something more specific before I took the car into garage.So I started the car pulled up the handbrake tight and tried it in each gear with half throttle and let the clutch bite until it nearly stalled,and to my surprise there was not a trace of the vibration in any of the gears,so I am now thinking the new clutch assembly,d/m flywheel,fork and thrust bearing may not be the problem as surely I would have had the vibration doing this?
Seeing that I am getting the vibration through the clutch pedal when the car is being driven and the gearbox is in motion,I am now thinking could the problem be a very worn bearing on the gearbox input shaft?The reason I am suspecting this is because the vibration is very bad when in 1st and 2nd gears,and if those gears are the closest to the input bearing that is why it is so obvious when I am in those gears.The higher gears being the further away from the bearing do not put the same pressure on it.
I don't know if anyone is familiar with I think is the BE 4/5 gearbox,if it is the bearing that is the problem,could this be renewed from the front of the box after the seal housing is removed,or would the box have to be split to renew it?

very grateful for all your help plus your opinions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I said before that I was taking the car to a very good local indi mechanic.
Dropped the car off this morning for him to check things out.I had a phone call from him a couple of hours later saying that he checked everything underneath the car,and all seems to be ok,so he said he would have to drop the box out and check inside the bell housing,so I agreed.
Later in the afternoon I had a call from him asking if I would come down to the garage to inspect the damage as he said all the new clutch assembly including the new d/m flywheel were not fit to use again as they were knackered.
Went and checked and as he said they were not fit to use again.The d/m had a nylon bush that was destroyed,the clutch assembly had signs of uneven wear,and to cap the lot the gearbox input shaft bearing you could move from side to side about half inch.So it is quite obvious this is the cause of my problem.
He also showed me what the grease monkey who fitted all the parts a few weeks ago had also done.One of the bell housing bolts up behind the cat must have been trouble to remove,so to get around this he sawed the bolt off so he could remove the box and left the remaining part hanging on the engine side of the housing to rattle around.
Well,the mechanic who is doing the job now has got all the new parts and a s/h replacement gearbox should arrive in the morning,but before he starts putting it all back will have to remove the cat to get the remains of the sawed off bolt out.Lets hope it's back on the road for the weekend.
I have spoken to the dealer who sold me the car and arranged for the warranty job to be done first time around,and put him in the picture,so he is going to have a word with the guy who done the job.
I will save all the f**ked up parts to show them as proof,but I expect they will come out with all the excuses in the world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts