Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can only assume its gone off ?
Hence why checking the fuse... and saying it looks like new indicates no charring or burning within the fuse box / holder

Would be interested if it has a good battery and wiring checked at alternator and charging okay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can only assume its gone off ?
Hence why checking the fuse... and saying it looks like new indicates no charring or burning within the fuse box / holder

Would be interested if it has a good battery and wiring checked at alternator and charging okay
Sorry for not including the problem.When cold about 0 to 8 degrees c, the power steering stops intermittently. I turn off and restart, works fine for a few seconds then stops. Repeats this for about 3 mins, then works fine. Checked all connections and 70 amp fuse. no issues found. Battery and charging fine. Works perfect at higher temps.
Regards
Pete

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Make sure you use the correct oil in the pump. This is critical.

As your existing fluid may be the wrong fluid and causing your issue, it is advisable to flush the system by draining it as best you can, reconnect pipes except for return pipe to reservoir, top up with new fluid and start it up briefly to expel the old fluid from the return pipe into a container. But be careful how you secure the 'dump' pipe as it will try very hard to spray oil everywhere. One flush should do it. Then reconnect the return pipe, top up and run. Check level after turning steering wheel full lock in both directions several times and top up if necessary. Check level again after a few days.

Hopefully the oil change will sort your problem but I suspect your issue is more electrical from your described symptoms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help. I think you may be right, with regards to correct fluid, as I did top up using ordinary power steering fluid a couple of years ago. And I don't remember this problem before. So just ordered the correct fluid (Total Fluide Da) 2L, so I have enough to flush and refill. Will let you know how things go. Just hope it has not damaged the pump. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have flushed and replaced power steering fluid with the correct fluid(Total Fluide DA) still when cold, the power steering stops working for the first few mins, after stopping and restarting engine a few times it works fine from then on. Checked fuse, connections, charging. Before I replace anything else, is there anything to look at, apart from the pump and alternator?
Regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure you use the correct oil in the pump. This is critical.

As your existing fluid may be the wrong fluid and causing your issue, it is advisable to flush the system by draining it as best you can, reconnect pipes except for return pipe to reservoir, top up with new fluid and start it up briefly to expel the old fluid from the return pipe into a container. But be careful how you secure the 'dump' pipe as it will try very hard to spray oil everywhere. One flush should do it. Then reconnect the return pipe, top up and run. Check level after turning steering wheel full lock in both directions several times and top up if necessary. Check level again after a few days.

Hopefully the oil change will sort your problem but I suspect your issue is more electrical from your described symptoms.
Could you give me some ideas for where to look next. Not wanting to pay out for a pump and then find its still the same.
Regards

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Have you inspected the electrical plugs for corrosion on the pump? Disconnect them and check/clean and see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
I have no idea what the makeup of the electric pump is as newer pump technology I believe do not use the old fashioned brushes of days gone by and so an exchange unit if possible might be the best option.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no idea what the makeup of the electric pump is as newer pump technology I believe do not use the old fashioned brushes of days gone by and so an exchange unit if possible might be the best option.
cheers, will wait and see if anyone has anymore input first.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Yes good idea. My pump keeps using fluid but it does not seem to be leaking. It is over a long period and just keep dribbling the precious oil in until I can get round to investigate. Have you tried sourcing the scrappies for a price?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes good idea. My pump keeps using fluid but it does not seem to be leaking. It is over a long period and just keep dribbling the precious oil in until I can get round to investigate. Have you tried sourcing the scrappies for a price?
I have but if after replacing with second hand one and still the same. I would still not know if the pump is any good.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
That is true but there comes a time when the bullet has to be bit if a hard and fast diagnosis cannot be made. Symptoms like these that come and go are extremely difficult to pinpoint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can some tell me if I have to remove front bumper to replace electric power steering pump on a 307 1.6s 55 reg.
Regards
Pete

1 - 20 of 25 Posts