Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here and typically a request for help.

I have an 06 307sw 1.6Hdi. I drove it on a 400 mile round trip at the weekend and en route I got the depolution system faulty message, it's a none DPF. A mechanic gave it a quick once over and it appears the turbo is failing. The fins are not spinning freely and it's sticking/rubbing against its housing and there's play in it.

I understand it's often an oil feed problem that causes the problem but would like opinions on whether it's with installing a second hand turbo that seems in good condition. I've looked at reconditioned turbo but none will offer the usual warranty with this engine, so it could be throwing money away. Or should I just accept the car has had its day, it's got 134000 miles on the clock.

Also I've looked at a 2012 308 1.6 Hdi cat n (light damage) for £2600. Im led to believe that after 2009 peugeot changed the turbo and addressed the problems associated with the 1.6hdi turbos. Would that be true?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jay.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
1 DPF is not what antipollution/depollution messages mean this is a common misconseption

2 1.6 hdi turbos fail because of poor servicing regimes overworking or crap oil generally but these turbos STILL fail on newer engines for the same reasons they are too small and overworked anything over 100k miles is good going for a modern turbo.

3 after 2010 the WHOLE ENGINE is changed but i believe its still essentially the same turbos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @reliable406 the car was regularly serviced so maybe I'm just unlucky. With the engine change in 2010, would this help with the life of the turbo?

Apparently the design of the oil feed etc as well as the points you mention contributed to the poor turbo life so if this was changed then has there been much feedback on the old turbo problems been resolved somewhat?

Jay

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
No the newer engines will still suffer turbo failures as they are worked even harder AND all newer engines have DPFs these will get clogged and kill the turbos with back pressure if anything the newer ones will be worse !

I have a mazda 3 here 61 plate with the newer engine its dead !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts