Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Been lurking for some time, reading up trying to solve our 2006 307sw 1.6hdi rattle up front. I've tried a good number of things, both from various threads here and my own ideas, but I just can't pinpoint the root cause. I'm running out of ideas. Hoping for some additional helpful tips to maybe point me to the root cause.

Observations:
1) rattles at idle+ in the garage (most @1200 rpm and up)

2) only heard clearly inside the car, drowns in engine noise outside

3) rattles when driving, all speeds AFAICT

4) sounds like its coming from front of firewall, where the steering column exits the firewall (LH drive car) when idling, and laying upside down with head in footwell next to pedals.

5) sometimes rattle disappear when pressing clutch pedal, sometimes half way in, sometimes all the way

6) managed to silence the rattle doing ~50mph (80km/h) downhill, car braking on engine in high (5th?) gear. Not 100% reproducible.

7) going zig-zag does not silence the rattle.

8) rattle sounds almost plasticky, or like a thin metal heatshield.

9) appears when you start the engine, does not go away even after driving 30km and engine heating to normal operating conditions.

10) rattle does not disappear when braking

Analysis and attempts to fix so far:
From 1) + 2) above not likely to be driveshafts or outwards. The engine must run, but the car does not need to move for rattle to appear.

From 4) + 7) not likely suspension, springs/shockabsorbers, or outer steering.

From 5) I should be looking for something loose along the clutch wire, but nothing obvious.

Obvious candidate is the "airbox rattle", but airbox and airhose rubber grommets, as well as the bottom bracket bushings, have been replaced.
Rattle still present even if holding/touching/pushing/restricting the airbox, with a helper inside car.

Have replaced anti-rollbar droplinks, and rollbar bushings both sides.

Have replaced outer steering knuckles at dealers.

Rattle still present when pushing on reachable parts of rollbar, rillbar bushings, heatshield and exhaust under the car when running (normal jack up, not on 4-arm high-stand). No change holding/blocking up the vertical heatshield in front of the engine.

Rattle still present after removing most plastic trim - all front and aft under-engine covers, left hand wheelwell liner, as well as engine top cover, battery box, fusebox lid, and anything else plastic coming off under the hood. The small metal trim-mounting brackets are not what's rattling either, tried removing those too.

Removed plastic trim along the bottom the windows, and the plastic crossbrace member this trim is connected to at the front. No play or resonance in the wiper mechanics AFAICT. Rattle still present when holding wiper parts/pushrods.

Now slowly running out of ideas....

Lower motor mounts?
Clutch about to give up?

T

·
Registered
160 Posts
Generally the turbo heatshield on these engines breaks and rattles. However I'm not going to insult you by suggesting that.

To be honest the easiest way to find out would probably be getting it on a lift and running it with someone standing under the car and checking everything. Sometimes its worth paying a mechanic to have a proper look.

Edit: If by some wild chance you live in Vestfold, Norway, you are welcome to visit my shop and I'll help you look. I have a lift and am a mechanic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for pitching in ohabu! Any idea is greatly welcome at this stage - not to worry about insult. And, really appreciate for the offer - correct country, but a little too far away to take you up on your offer.

I think I already gave the turbo heat shield a thorough going over, but will have another look. I would expect a turbo heatshield rattle more from the front of the engine compartment, not the bottom, rear like ours sounds like?

T

·
11,722 Posts
You'll have to take off all the heatshields to identify or eliminate them.

My experience with 307 heatshield rattles have been on the back box and DPF.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A stupid one perhaps, but have you checked the exhaust mounting rubbers?

I had a rattle that took an age to sort out as I thought it was coming from the front (sounded like the heat shield by the sub-frame) but was solved by replacing the mounting rubber on the mid-section of the exhaust at the end closest to the rear box....took me a year to find the cause

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
11,722 Posts
The worst rattle / clicking I had turned out to be the wiring loom in the rear of the car tapping the plastic between the rear doors and the boot.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
You don't mention steering rack shield, sod to get at but flimsy mine rattled

Dpf heat shield, yes sounds from engine compartment but rattles on exhaust, if you check the top you will find small retaining nuts my car had the nuts but the metal had snapped fixed with big washer

Both zero cost but steering cover is a pain and of course close to pedals

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solved!

Thought I'd share the root cause of my rattle:

Turned out to be a hydraulic pipe for the clutch that had become loose, and rattled under certain conditions. After ticking all the airbox and exhaust checkboxes, I admitted the defeat and took it to the dealers. They called me back half a day later to let me know. Glad there's such a thing as fixed price diagnostics :)

So, if you have a rattle - make sure you check the clutch hydraulic lines too...!

T

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine had an awful rattle that sounded like it came form the exhaust manifold area.....I checked and tightned the heat shields and it still did it.....turned out to be the pollen filter lid had came loose and was rattling about on the back of the engine.... :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
A stupid one perhaps, but have you checked the exhaust mounting rubbers?

I had a rattle that took an age to sort out as I thought it was coming from the front (sounded like the heat shield by the sub-frame) but was solved by replacing the mounting rubber on the mid-section of the exhaust at the end closest to the rear box....took me a year to find the cause
Thanks soooooo much....fixed mine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts