Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The dashboard says my oil level is about half way and the dipstick indicates it's overfilled a bit.

I guess I should trust the dipstick? Does anybody have any tips for reading the level. I find there is a lot if oil splashed on the stick making the level hard to read even after cleaning it first.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
No different to dipping the oil on any car. Park it up on level ground, turn off and wait a while to allow oil to settle and drain back to the sump. Any stray oil in the dipstick tube should run down and not cause a false reading.

Parking on a slope facing doenhill will cause the oil to register higher than it actually is while facing uphill will show lower. It would be similar on a camber with the drivers side lower than the passenger side it will sho low and show high with the drivers side higher than the passenger side due the placement of the dipstick at the front of the engine nearer the gearbox. The oil level sensor was a common fault on the 307 so no surprise if it also a problem with the 308.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It could also be the wrong dip stick as many of them (plastic ones) the end breaks off and people put just any stick in, my 206 hdi 1.6 for example the end is missing so I go by the electronic measure - don't have much choice really :lol:

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
It could also be the wrong dip stick as many of them (plastic ones) the end breaks off and people put just any stick in, my 206 hdi 1.6 for example the end is missing so I go by the electronic measure - don't have much choice really :lol:
normally the broken bit sits in the tube out of harms way and a new dipstick can be fitted :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the advice.

I drained some oil out. I know the previous owner who had it from new and it is the original dipstick.

Cheers

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts