Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a second hand 307 1.6 s on a 55 plate. It's done 70,000 miles and its just had a new cambelt fitted. when the car is running idle there is a slight whine from the alternator area, like a belt or something (hopefully you can hear it in the video) the noise exagerates when you push the throttle (again you can hear this in the video). I was just wondering if all this sounds normal as the car is still under warranty...Please help... Ant

307 1.6 s engine noise

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
could be they just fitted a belt and not changed the tensioners.this will means the tensioners are now under more strain with a new belt

could also be the alternator belt tensioner if the belts been changed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers monty, it defiantly sounds like its something to do with the alternator belt and not the cam belt, is the noise likely to get any worse and it is an expensive job to change the tensioners on the alternator belt?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Just had a listen and it does sound like a pulley. To remove the auxiliary belt to enable checking of the idler and tensioner pulley's, the belt tension can be removed by turning the tension pulley anti clockwise with an allen key, (its spring loaded,) maybe with some help from added leverage. The belt can then be removed. Its that simple. Reverse the procedure for refitting.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Had you this noise before the t-belt was fitted..?
If so then i'd remove the aux belt check for roughness/bearing failure in the idler pullys/alternator like monthy said.
when the belt has been removed run the engine to see if you still have this noise...if you do then go back to the garage that fitted the timing belt asap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise was there when I viewed the car, a mechanic they had said it was just the alternator belt needed tightening, they tightened it up but the noise seems to be a little worse so it does point to the aux belt I think, will the car start with the aux belt removed then?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts