Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil on my 2004 307 1.6 HDI with 170k and found out after that the oil should have been C2 as it has a DPF. Not sure the oil I put in had a C2 marker assuming it will be OK as the C2 just refers to Low Sulphur
Any advice - leave as is or change ?
TIA
Tone

·
Registered
51 Posts
It needs to be c2 really as you've got a dpf. I may be wrong but incorrect oil in these is associated with dpf blocking, oil slugging up & turbo failure. I'm sure it'll be fine in the short term , but for the price of a can of correct oil (£25ish) is it really worth the risk?

·
11,731 Posts
I suppose if you're not following the manufacturers advice of changing every 20,000 miles and changing it more frequently then you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I suppose if you're not following the manufacturers advice of changing every 20,000 miles and changing it more frequently then you should be OK.
Do they really recommend 20k oci's? :eek:. No wonder these engines have a bad reputation for turbo failure.
One thing all authenticated very high mileage with no issues engines have in common is frequent oil changes, as well as proper attention paid to other maintenance.

Roger.

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
20k mile intervals is EXACTLY why these engines suffer a poor reputation !

They have reduced that interval now but the reputation is here to stay.

As for OPs question the oil wont do any harm but it should be changed every 10k miles MAX in my opinion and preferably with the correct grade.

I stripped 1 of these engines that had been serviced every 6k miles from new by the owner who bought it brand new it suffered turbo failure at 275k miles and the engine was still perfect inside with little wear the turbo simply had got to end of its life.

Had it been serviced on peugeots regime it would probably have been on its 3rd turbo by then !

They CAN last if looked after better than peugeot recommend sadly most people just see 20k miles and think thats ok to leave old oil till then !!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've ALWAYS changed my oil every 6 months, on every car I've had. I know they were bullet proof anyway but my old 306 1.9 dturbo never missed a beat the whole time I had it (6years 100000miles) and that was driven hard. As before, what's a can of decent oil? 30 quid tops...

·
11,731 Posts
20k mile intervals is EXACTLY why these engines suffer a poor reputation !

They have reduced that interval now but the reputation is here to stay.
And that same engine in two other makes of car and they state intervals of 13,000 miles (Ford) and 16,000 miles (Suzuki, I think).

But the very worst thing is when this engine is in the 307. I don't like to generalise but a straw poll of my customers shows that the 307 is more used as mum's taxi and shopping cart, so its mainly used for local pootling. And the number of people who misread the service interval (20,000 miles or two years, whichever is sooner) and do whichever is longer frightens the hell out of me.

I saw one 307 which hadn't had an oil change in over four years because the owner only did local journeys and "hadn't done 20,000 miles yet"......

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
And that same engine in two other makes of car and they state intervals of 13,000 miles (Ford) and 16,000 miles (Suzuki, I think).

But the very worst thing is when this engine is in the 307. I don't like to generalise but a straw poll of my customers shows that the 307 is more used as mum's taxi and shopping cart, so its mainly used for local pootling. And the number of people who misread the service interval (20,000 miles or two years, whichever is sooner) and do whichever is longer frightens the hell out of me.

I saw one 307 which hadn't had an oil change in over four years because the owner only did local journeys and "hadn't done 20,000 miles yet"......
I bought my 307 recently and only realised after I bought it (daft arse) that the service counter read MINUS 24,000 miles......

Suffice to say it had a service very soon after that....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts