Peugeot Forums banner

307 1.6 hdi Underpowered & Sluggish, Lack of Power

85K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  reliable406 
#1 ·
Just got lumbered with a 54 plate 307 sw 1.6 hdi, there is a major lack of power, prob about 30-40 seconds 0-60mph.

I've seen similar threads but I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas where to start, I can't see that replacing any of the filters could make it that much better.

There are no lights on the dash or smoke from the exhaust, unless there's a pipe off somewhere (not had a look yet, wanted some ideas before looking in the morning) could there be anything else that could affect the power this badly?

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
There are a few of things that can cause this, but there are many others.

- Turbo Failure
- Diesel Particulate Filter issue (the 1.6 and 2.0 HDI versions usually have this during the pre facelift era)
- Injector or injector pump issue
- Fuel filter blockage / fuel pump issue

You usually get a depollution fault for many of these problems, however I would just check no hoses in the engine bay have blown off or obviously not connected. I had one of the hoses come off causing a pressure problem so it is worth checking.

The best advice is getting it on a diagnostic with peugeot planet to look for faults within the engine ECU.

Matt

#3 ·
1.6 no power...

Sounds just like what I had...
the small rubber elbow that supplies vacuum to the turbo was off (some d#$%head knocked it off - read me). Two second fix. it's below the turbo on the right side. A rigid plastic tube brings the vacuum up close and the elbow is just that, an elbow..However my elbow was swollen a bit and I was not at all confident it would stay in place...so I took the coupla minutes to put a spring clamp on the two ends. When you put it back on you will get a depollution fault showing for, in my case, three days. Every time I have touched the turbo piping I get the same error...all good now though...

Good hunting...

#4 ·
Cheers David, will have a look in the morning, hopefully (fingers crossed) it will be that or something similar.

Matt, as far as turbo failure is concerned, wouldn't that mean it would smoke? As it doesn't smoke I was hoping to rule a faulty turbo out.

The previous owner did say they had the Diesel Particulate Filter done on it.

#5 ·
Think It's Turbo

I'm pretty sure it's the turbo not kicking in.

Does this mean the turbo is knackered? I thought if the turbo goes you get black smoke. The car isn't smoking.

Could the turbo be an electrical fault? There are no lights showing on the dash.

#8 ·
No boost DOES NOT mean the turbo is stuffed

The turbo is controlled by the ecu but it needs good vacum to the control solenoids no vacum no boost as the vacum is used to close the wastegate if wastegate is closed the turbo works if its open all the boost generated goes down the exhaust

#9 ·
did you

Find the hose and elbow I described and is it on... ?
The turbo is actuated by rerouted exhaust gasses. The pipe I indicated for you operates 'vanes' that direct the gasses onto the turbine of the turbo and therefore operate it. I really suggest looking for that and making sure its connected. Its often the easiest things first.
David

#10 ·
Find the hose and elbow I described and is it on... ?
The turbo is actuated by rerouted exhaust gasses. The pipe I indicated for you operates 'vanes' that direct the gasses onto the turbine of the turbo and therefore operate it. I really suggest looking for that and making sure its connected. Its often the easiest things first.
David
Do you mean the very thin pipe under the turbo that goes to what I think may be something to do with the vacuum like a little flying saucer shape? If so I did look and it is connected.

When driving the car there is what I thought sounded like a blowing from the exhaust behind the pedals, could it be something down there?

#18 ·
I'm banging my head against a brick wall at the mo.

Dropped the catalytic converter off today and no different so can eliminate that.

I've taken some pipes off the engine and have not yet found anything obvious.

Need to know where the turbo solenoids are and where to check if there's a vacuum.

Can anyone please help???????

Attachments

#20 ·
might sound daft but u tried disconecting the maf sensor and takin it for a spin?
take off the air box for a second u should hear the turbo. or on the 1.6 isnt it t the front so u should see it spinning??? correct me if im wrong. try the maf sensor forst off. electric plug on your air inlet pipe...:thumb:

#23 ·
I appreciate what you're saying about the maf but with the car as bad as it is I think if it is working and I disconnect it it would still be difficult to tell if it actually gets worse.

Think I'm gonna put it all back together, I will try the maf thing but then am just gonna have to start at the beginning and try ruling out different parts of the turbo/air inlet system.

Would be nice to find the turbo solenoid but can't get much sense about it. I'd have a chance if I knew wether it could be seen from the top or bottom of the engine.

#31 ·
I've done a bit more investigating today.

The turbo is spinning on tickover so I assume I can rule out the solenoid.

I took the bottom pipe off the intercooler to check the pressure going to it and there is, more revs=more pressure a lot of oil came out when I took the pipe off, I don't know if there is meant to be oil in there or not.

I'm now thining the problem must be somewhere after the intercooler on the left side of the engine (as you look at it) could there be a problem there?

Is that where the egr is? if so I'll get that off and clean it.

Or maybe it is the maf, I don't know how bad an engine runs when one ain't working.

#34 ·
Hi!

Based on what i've read in these last posts i think i know why you're having problems. There is oil in your intercooler you say and from the picture of the turbo we can clearly see there is some oil there too. This probably means there is a faulty O-ring on the pcv tube on the intake tube between the air filter and the turbo. I had the same problem on my "07 307 sw and what i did was that i removed all the intake tubes as well as the intercooler and cleaned them thuroughly and replaced the O-ring on the Pcv tube. If there is too much oil in the intake system the engine will be quite sluggish and the performance will drip dramatically in some cases. Hope this can be a solution to at least some of your problems. The 307, and the 1,6 hdi engines as well, are in my opinion really great. If you know how to take care of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.