Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hoping I can find help here. I bought a 307 (1.6, hdi, 90bhp, 2005, 130kmiles) and my dad has been helping me fix it. We knew the turbo was broken when I bought it and managed to haggle a few hundred off the asking price.

The thing is, after a little research we realised that it has the wrong turbo fitted. Instead of the Mitsubishi it has the Garrett which is supposed to be fitted to the 110bhp model. Not to worry we thought this will just mean more bhp... We bought a new cartridge, drained the oil, took off and cleaned the sump, pickup pipe, oil feed pipe, and all other connecting pipes (they were not clogged at all but we read it was for the best that they were all cleaned.)

We also changed the filter and put new oil in. After getting it back together, it seemed to run fine but a little wobbly at tickover, we know that one of the injectors is not sitting right so could this be the reason?

Anyway, we decided to rev the engine to make sure the turbo was spinning fine. But once it got to about 3500 rpm the turbo was making a horrible low pitch but loud squeel. We made sure the new turbo was spinning fine, and that oil was feeding through, all good there. We realised that this may have been caused by overboost, can someone confirm this?

Ok, after it did this 3 times the engine started limiting to 3000 revs. So we decided to look at the air filter to make sure the engine/turbo wasn't starving, it was fairly clogged so we gave it a good smack (we didn't have a new one to hand) and put it back in, we also cleaned the air flow sensor with some circuit cleaner. Only to find that now the center display says (depolution system faulty), and the engine is still limiting.

soo...

1. Would a leaky injector cause an uneaven tickover?
  2. Would having the wrong turbo effect anything enough to matter?
  3. Would turbo overboost cause a horrible sound at high revs?
  4. Could cleaning the airflow sensor cause a "depolution system fault" or could it be dues to lack of airflow through the turbo due to an exhaust fault?
Sorry for all these questions and a wall of text, just after a little advice and thought this was the best place to ask.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,266 Posts
Anti pollution fault is simply a generic fault for ANYTHING that could affect the emissions

On its own it means NOTHING needs more investigation
Boost problems WILL cause antipollution AND the 3k rev problem

You need to fix what IS known first IE leaky injector seal and the horrible noise COULD be a blocked DPF again this can also cause anti pollution and lack of revs

I recommend you fix leaky injector check ALL turbo pipework for leaks air leaks not oil check for splits too in the rubber sections

Remove and clean the DPF jetwash it internally

refit and clear fault codes then redrive and see what faults come back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anti pollution fault is simply a generic fault for ANYTHING that could affect the emissions

On its own it means NOTHING needs more investigation
Boost problems WILL cause antipollution AND the 3k rev problem

You need to fix what IS known first IE leaky injector seal and the horrible noise COULD be a blocked DPF again this can also cause anti pollution and lack of revs

I recommend you fix leaky injector check ALL turbo pipework for leaks air leaks not oil check for splits too in the rubber sections

Remove and clean the DPF jetwash it internally

refit and clear fault codes then redrive and see what faults come back
Hi, thanks for the advice. I don't think this model has a dpf, 1.6hdi (90). I think only the 110 model has it. We checked for any airleaks but couldn't find any, no harm in checking again though.

Do you think having the wrong turbo on will cause major problems? I'm guessing it should really be remapped if it has the 110 bhp turbo on but I just don't know.

·
Registered
14,266 Posts
Hi im not sure the turbos are any different between 90 and 110 on 406s they are but I think all the 1.6 turbos are same

If they are different in the same way 90 and 110 turbos differ on the 2 litre then the 110 turbo wont work properly on a 90

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi im not sure the turbos are any different between 90 and 110 on 406s they are but I think all the 1.6 turbos are same

If they are different in the same way 90 and 110 turbos differ on the 2 litre then the 110 turbo wont work properly on a 90
The 90bhp turbo that is supposed to be fitted is smaller and does not have variable vanes, the 110bhp (the one that has been put on) is larger and does have variable vanes. They are both supposed to fit on the same engine, the 110bhp model is basically just the bigger turbo and remapped as far as I believe (looking for confirmation on this).

·
Registered
14,266 Posts
Ok in that case the 110 turbo is controlled differently and will cause problems as I have a 1.4 turbo here and it works same as a 90hp 2 litre it is self regulating as far as boost is concerned
On 110 engines the wastegate or in your case variable vanes are controlled by the ecu varying the vacuum applied to the capsule so if that is the case your car probably has NO boost rather than too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok in that case the 110 turbo is controlled differently and will cause problems as I have a 1.4 turbo here and it works same as a 90hp 2 litre it is self regulating as far as boost is concerned
On 110 engines the wastegate or in your case variable vanes are controlled by the ecu varying the vacuum applied to the capsule so if that is the case your car probably has NO boost rather than too much.
Hmm, so maybe it has been remapped as I can see the vacuum actuator moving the variable vanes as I rev. If it hadn't been remapped the ecu wouldn't be doing that?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
it doesnt matter if its mapped. the turbo is controlled differently on a 90 to a 110 reliable is using an example of the 2.0 as hes not overally sure on a 1.6hdi

i dont know why anyone would buy the wrong turbo as the cost must be similar

i would sell that one on ebay as there more common expect a decent price and buy the right one.

have you got peugeot planet to check these faults

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it doesnt matter if its mapped. the turbo is controlled differently on a 90 to a 110 reliable is using an example of the 2.0 as hes not overally sure on a 1.6hdi

i dont know why anyone would buy the wrong turbo as the cost must be similar

i would sell that one on ebay as there more common expect a decent price and buy the right one.

have you got peugeot planet to check these faults
Ah ok, thanks for the info. The turbo that is in is the more expensive one, so I could maybe try and sell it on ebay.

As for peugeot planet, no I don't. Would it be worth the investment or should I take it to a dealers for diagnostic?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A quick update:

I managed to get the depollution fault to go away by cleaning the pipework and sensors leading from the inter-cooler to the engine, then running the engine for a few minutes.

The car isn't actually limiting the revs. If I slowly increase the revs, at about 3000 the revs will start wavering and it won't go past 3000. However, if I blast the accelerator it will happily rev to 3-4-4.5k with no problems.

Here's what I think may be happening: If the turbo IS the wrong fit, when I slowly increase the revs the turbo has time to spin up, once I hit 3k I think the turbo may be supplying too much pressure so the engine doesn't want to rev higher.

However when I quickly hit the accelerator hard and let off, the turbo does not have time to spin up and therefor never reaches the point of supplying too much pressure. Of course this is just an amateurs theory, If anyone can give more info that would be great.

I do have another question, on the small turbo (the Mitsubishi), Is the actuator controlling a dump valve? If so when should it engage?

Also, I have a pp2000 coming tomorrow so I will run a few tests and see how many errors it throws in my face.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts