Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just recently brought a 307 1.6 Rapier (pertrol) and have found a fault with it, and I'm unsure what it could possibly be. We already have a 307 2.0 Xsi, which has had a similiar problem, but that was nothing like this. When driving the car, the car is perfect: no noises, no banging, no rattling. Like new. Handles really well, and all and all is perfect.

When driving it on the motorway, I was accelerating up to 70mph and just touched passed 70mph and the engine management came up, screaming there was a catalytic converter fault and then immediately the engine lost power. :nono: Pulled over and turned the engine off, left it for a couple of minutes and then turned it back on and it was fine. It came up with antipollution fault and the engine/catalytic converter symbol stays on the dash.

Driving back, I stayed at 60-65mph and it was fine. Drove like there was no problem at all. After a couple of times of turning the engine off and on, from just general using the car, the engine/catalytic converter light turns itself off.

Can anyone suggest anything?

I don't know whether it has anything to do with it, but the clutch is very high and we're gonna get it adjusted when we can. You simply just have to tap the pedal and you can change gear. The bite is very high as well, which was proven when driving it around I accidentally took my foot off the clutch whilst in 1st gear, and the car was completely fine and drove like normal.

Any help would be a god send. :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Complete cut-out at 70mph, must feel truly awesome and not scary one bit.

Was it actually a complete cut-out or did the engine stay on but go in limp mode?

In my opinion (I'll probably be proved wrong) the clutch and the cut-out are two different things. You need a new clutch obviously if you're licking your knee every time you need to change gear.

Maybe do a diagnosis on it?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine stayed on but it just did nothing when the accelerate was pushed. Even after stopping and touching it to just rev the engine, it did nothing. Simply just turning it off and turning it back on, it gave back the power and we drove like normal. But still wouldn't drive over 70mph+.

It's going in the garage at the end of the month anyway and being sorted for my birthday. But was wondering if there was something we could do in the mean time, to see if we could sort it on our own.:noidea:

J

·
0 Posts
so the engine kept idling and didn't respond to the accelerator pedal one little bit?

You're best off getting someone on here with planet to check your car for codes and post them up.

There'll be a few clever people watching this thread waiting for your codes so they can plaster their geeky knowledge everywhere :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
But your engine is deffo running/idling?

Where are you located roughly? I'll have a look on the map for a local peugeot planet owner.

They charge around £20 I think, which is nothing compared to dealership prices. They will plug their laptop into your computer and scan it to find the fault codes it brings up. It will help you find your problem.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After touching passed 70 the engine just goes into like idle running, as though you're not touching the accelerater, but doesn't respond to anything from the accelerator. It's strange. We were thinking maybe it had a restricter/speed limiter on it, but I thought it would give you control back after it dropped the speed back down. I mean, I don't mind it, it just it would be nice to do a little speeding.

At the moment I'm at Wotton-Under Edge, which is between Bristol and Gloucester.

J

·
0 Posts
MrPaul, Electekair and Mouse.

From Weston Supermare, gloucester and Cheltenam respectively.

Hopefully bettyswollocks will have a browse around and you can ask him how you go about getting in touch with these members to find out prices.

He could probably tell you if this is deffo what you need too. try pm-ing him?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks. Electekair is the one with the machine to read the codes off?

I'll PM Bettyswollocks about it.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
get your timing belt pully checked. i had this issue on my car.

soon as i got to 70mph...bang, cat converter fault, anti-pollution fault and limp mode...but speeds below it didnt detect it. soon as you turn car off and back on it was fine.

came up as random misfires on all cylinders.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll PM him when I can. I got to wait till I'm over 20 posts. It's okay, we can manage with it at the minute. I ain't going anywhere for the next two weeks and if I do in it, I'm not going over 70mph+.

Thanks for the help though.

J

·
0 Posts
Ok, thanks. Electekair is the one with the machine to read the codes off?

I'll PM Bettyswollocks about it.

Thanks so much.
They've all got the machine. I'm from up north a bit so I wouldn't know which is closer to you. the map suggests to me that since you're between bristol and gloucester that weston supermare would be closer.

Anyway check this out, just post crap on it til you reach 20 :thumb:
http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/need-20-posts-before-pm-13646/

John will tell you if you need your codes reading :thumb: he's a top bloke

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
get your timing belt pully checked. i had this issue on my car.

soon as i got to 70mph...bang, cat converter fault, anti-pollution fault and limp mode...but speeds below it didnt detect it. soon as you turn car off and back on it was fine.

came up as random misfires on all cylinders.
Yea ok I will take this into consideration when I take the car to the garage at the end of the month

J

·
0 Posts
the map suggests to me that since you're between bristol and gloucester that weston supermare would be closer.
Gloucester & Cheltenham would definitely be closer.... Weston-Super-Mud is the opposite side of Bristol.... and a complete nightmare at this time of year!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gloucester & Cheltenham would definitely be closer.... Weston-Super-Mud is the opposite side of Bristol.... and a complete nightmare at this time of year!
Either way now, I'm gonna get it sorted it at the end of the month with all the other stuff. Thanks though to the ones that responded. :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts