Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI there

I've bought recently 307 2003 hdi 1.4 for wife as she needs it for kids. It came with a problem I was not aware of.

When engine is hot the car will start OK as many times as you turn the key and try. If it cools down then if you turn the key you get nothing. The lights on dash do as they should and it does not feel like battery is not flat. If I start it by pushing it starts quickly. Engine off then after a minute and it will start again easy. 5 mins later it is dead again.

First I thought it is the starter motor but not sure now. Why does it start easy once engine is started once for 10 sec at least. Could it be the battery despite the fact that it does not surge the lights on dash or at least clicks the starter?

Could a faulty alternator stop the starter motor even attempting the turn over, not even a click.

Looking at the electrical diagram I found here it is somehow connected to it.
I dont want to try jump start as scared to kill BSI unit.
What I may do is start it they drive it for a bit then disconnect the battery till tomorrow then connect. it it work it must be something killing the battery over the night.

Please help as wife needs a car which is sitting on drive in need of a repair :-(

D

·
0 Posts
Engine bay fuse box. They give loads of trouble. fitted one to a c4 the other day even.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've went for a ride and left it for an hour then with battery disconnected. Connect the battery and now it starts. Could it be the battery after all even if the is no typical lights surge on dash when trying to start?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If car is driven every day then it is fine. If it stays more then a day then no start. I've swapped the battery from good vehicle in it and it still does not start. The battery from Peugeot was put it Laguna and it starts fine. So battery does not get flat.

Question: Could the alternator cause something like this? How does alternator control the starter?

if this the right diagram?
http://peugeot.mainspot.net/wiring307/el1010s6s3.htm

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've went for a ride and left it for an hour then with battery disconnected. Connect the battery and now it starts. Could it be the battery after all even if the is no typical lights surge on dash when trying to start?
I think it's a possibility
And out of the three possibilities: battery, starter motor, engine bay fuse box, the battery is the cheapest one to start with, change the battery and see what happens

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've swapped the battery with the other car - still nothing. The original battery cranks laguna diesel OK - so not the battery.

I found in another thread that you can connect 12V direct in fuse box to 'two pin black connector' to cranks the starter? Does anybody know where that 'wire 100' is on 1.4 hdi? I will check fues box tomorrow.

Anyway, again, could it be the alternator?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've swapped the battery with the other car - still nothing. The original battery cranks laguna diesel OK - so not the battery.

I found in another thread that you can connect 12V direct in fuse box to 'two pin black connector' to cranks the starter? Does anybody know where that 'wire 100' is on 1.4 hdi? I will check fues box tomorrow.

Anyway, again, could it be the alternator?
Hi
I dont think the alternator has anything to do with it
As davidireland said, it could well be the engine fuse box that's faulty

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As per the other thread I've checked the voltage when attempting to crank on black connector in fuse box. It is 10.95 volts - no crank! I've checked the earth and also put jump lead from negative to engine - nothing. Battery is OK as it start Laguna perfect.

I was left to think it must be the starter motor solenoid or contact on it. I've removed battery tray but still could not see it to check continuity from fuse box to it.

Where about is it? Is it on the right side of the engine as you look at it towards the back? Can you access the wires from bottom?

I guess alternator has nothing to do with crank then.

·
Registered
857 Posts
As per the other thread I've checked the voltage when attempting to crank on black connector in fuse box. It is 10.95 volts - no crank! I've checked the earth and also put jump lead from negative to engine - nothing. Battery is OK as it start Laguna perfect.

I was left to think it must be the starter motor solenoid or contact on it. I've removed battery tray but still could not see it to check continuity from fuse box to it.

Where about is it? Is it on the right side of the engine as you look at it towards the back? Can you access the wires from bottom?

I guess alternator has nothing to do with crank then.
Hi
You need to find the relevant pin/wire of the starter motor on the engine fuse box, then put the ignition on, and run the 12v wire from battery + to that pin and see what happens, that way you should know if the fuse box is faulty or the starter
The other thing you can do, is run a wire directly from battery + to starter motor
Do you have access to wiring diagrams? if not, let me know your engine code and i'll have a look for you when i have a bit of time

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks m3mpower. I've found the wire and yes, the box is fine. I've took a chance and after taking nearly half of the car of got the starter motor out. It has faulty solenoid. It's a shame you cannot get just a solenoid as the rest of the motor is OK on test.

The starter looks new and is not original. It looks like previous owner got a new one which did not last long.

Thanks

·
Registered
857 Posts
thanks m3mpower. I've found the wire and yes, the box is fine. I've took a chance and after taking nearly half of the car of got the starter motor out. It has faulty solenoid. It's a shame you cannot get just a solenoid as the rest of the motor is OK on test.

The starter looks new and is not original. It looks like previous owner got a new one which did not last long.

Thanks
Ok thats great, at least you know what the problem is

Regards

·
Registered
91 Posts
ya can get new solenoids there people the repair starters altnators etc check ya yellow pages in car electrics far cheaper than buying new

1 - 12 of 12 Posts