Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
306 wont start after engine change

hello
i have a problem with starting my 306. im from slovenia so sorry for my bad english :confused: i own a peugeot 306 1999 year which was originally fitted with 1.4 petrol engine. the head gasket has blown so i decided to swap the engine. i swapped the engine with 1.6 petrol from 2000 year ((sport model) i still regret that i rolled over, it was a very good car...) now the problem is that i cant start it... i have no spark and the fuel pump is not working... i changed the wiring loom too (the wiring loom is from 1.6 engine). will changing the wiring loom from two round conectors ( i have the original loom from the car that the engine was in) in engine bay to the dashboard (under the wiper motor) maybe help? thanks in advance. :nod:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 1.4 ecu has different conector so i used a 1.6 ecu and engine wiring loom. i also replaced the wiring loom from two round conectors to the bulkhead but still no luck... please help

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The problem is that the 1.6 ECU has the wrong "digital signature", so the BSI will not talk to it.

I think what that requires is for the BSI to be "virginised" (basically a hacking job), and then reconfigured with Peugeot Planet to recognise the 1.6 ECU.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
306 does not have a BSI as such you need to fit the key and the decoder box from the doner car to the car you are fixing it will then start key is coded to the ecu via an additional box it is located above the centre console bottom edge of dash on UK cars yours may be different there is a sort of BSI in some models located in the rear but there are 3 versions of 306s !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the problem is that the coil (from a donor car) or whatever comes around a ignition switch (i think its some kind of coil?) is damaged... will changing just the ignition lock help? (from a donor car) or changing the decoder box? and can someone teel me what the decoder box look like? tnx

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You need the KEY decoder box AND the ecu from the same vehicle

The ring on the barrel is not coded its a separate box thats coded

Problem is you are working on 2 different age vehicles and the systems did change a few times they may not be interchangeable

This shows all the parts
#http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-LX-1-6-1999-Estate-ECU-SET-0-261-204-717-0261204717-9625403080-/231157268273?fits=Car+Make:Peugeot|Model:306&hash=item35d20bff31:g:MlkAAOxyYSdS-zLR

You dont need the barrel just the key head transferred onto your key the decoder ring on the barrel just use your original good one

The black box next to ecu in ebay listing is the decoder

·
Registered
153 Posts
You need the KEY decoder box AND the ecu from the same vehicle

The ring on the barrel is not coded its a separate box thats coded

Problem is you are working on 2 different age vehicles and the systems did change a few times they may not be interchangeable

This shows all the parts
#Peugeot 306 LX 1.6 1999 Estate / ECU SET 0 261 204 717 0261204717 9625403080 | eBay

You dont need the barrel just the key head transferred onto your key the decoder ring on the barrel just use your original good one

The black box next to ecu in ebay listing is the decoder
my 1998 306 has a small black chip in the key,it just slots in next to the circuit board,you will need this from your doner car also

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The key head (if you mean the plastc around the key) is just plastic, no chip in it. can someone please tell me where the decoder is located? if its in the bottom of the centre console then looks like im screved... (i throw that black box in trash...) can i somehow unlock the decoder?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the problem is solved :lol: :lol:i gave the ecu to unlock it, so now it works fine, i just had to disconect the imobiliser :lol:

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
306 immobilisers were simple systems you could de immobilise easily same as early 406

My 306 cabriolet has no immobiliser at moment once i get a suitable ecu set i will re immobilise it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mistake, i didnt disconecct the imobiliser, because wnen i did, the central locking didnt work, and the light on the roof (when you open the door) didnt work. so now its connected again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts