Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all just thought id pick ya brains a bit more lol

The 306 is about to undertake its xud transpant and with it off the road i need to sort out ssome other issues. Iv developed a loud knocking/juddering that sounds like the rear drivers wheels about to fly off lol

Its not constant and happens as and when it wants for about 30 seconds then goes away and sometimes wont return for days. I can be going in a straight line on a smooth road and it happens then onto a windy bumpy road and it will dissappear and then visa versa?

I am currently running on bump stops so the rear never really moves so by my logic can rule out shocks as they might aswell not be there lol

Anyway thanks in advance:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,748 Posts
Probably a knackered back axle. Well known fault on 306's, especially when lowered.

·
Registered
548 Posts
More than likely a split rear beam mount. The most rearward ones are easy enough to check with a pry bar but the forward ones are a little more tricky and are not always obvious.

Beware of ebay cheap ones as they can fail really quickly (seen some shocking examples)
Genuine are great but pricey.
Motaquip are OEM quality and not a bad price - in fact some motaquip bushes I've ordered up in the past have had peugeot markings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lads, Iv got a new beam sorted out anyway as im in the middle of doing a XUD conversion running a hdi gearbox and my box is about to explode so bought a xsara hdi for 175 quid earlier with a mint box and good beam so just gonna rebuild the xsara one and put that on when i do the engine swap.

Can anyone give me any advice on the best rear beam setup to go for, ie size torsion bars and such

Thanks again lads

·
Registered
548 Posts
Can anyone give me any advice on the best rear beam setup to go for, ie size torsion bars and such
tbh the HDI should have the thicker spec bars to begin with, while you can go for custom ones which are even thicker I don't think for a road going car it would be really worth it.
Rear shocks it has to be OEM or Bilstein.
Can start playing with zx rear arms to change the toe in for slightly sharper steering but again prob more hassle than its worth unless you have the bits lying round.
Some go for solid mounts as it can sharpen the feel and make the rear a little more predictable however you loose all passive rear steering you get with the original design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts