Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first experience with a diesel so I feel I may be missing something stupid!
Last week it rained buckets, and my Aux belt started to slip, and I saw the battery light more and more. Eventually, the car lost power, stopped and refused to start again.
I got a tow home, on the way I tried starting again under tow, and got it to start for a second then it died again.

Got it home and saw that the auxillary belt was not straight on the crankshaft pulley - was about one rib rubbing against the timing belt cover. I decided the aux belt may be harming the crankshaft pulley bearing by rubbing the timing belt cover and hence adding excess pressure so I cut it off. Car still didn't start - but now I guessed the battery was pretty dead.

I charged the battery overnight - but still no joy! Am I missing something - as far as I can tell, theres nothing powered from the aux belt that should stop the car starting (Alternator, Air con, power steering is all?) I checked all plugs in the vicinity and nothing looks loose. Found fuel inertia switch had popped up and reset but still no joy - car turns over really fast - see almost 500rpm on the speedo but nothing!

The other odd / ominous thing - the aux belt looked in good condition, but I can see big chunks of rubber on the crankshaft pulley that I originally thought to be from the aux belt - not sure where these have come from...
I did take off the oil filler cap and gently turn it over to see the cams turning so I believe the timing belt is ok.

Any ideas - please tell me if I am being stupid if I shouldnt expect the car to start till I replace the aux belt!?

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
i had a 306 that wrecked the timing belt when the aux belt shredded , seems that is a common fault in the 306 (hope not yours) i would check timing belt cost me a new engine - again hope not yours .

C

·
0 Posts
A not uncommon problem on the DW10TD HDi.

when the cambelt is replaced, the pulley is supposed to be replaced at the same time, as it has a set service life. Problem is, they cost £50-£120 + VAT (2 types available, depending on year) so a lot of people skimp on it and the old pulley eventually fails, and can cause serious mayhem.

When buying a used 306/406 HDi always scrutinse the service history thoroughly for this - it's a sign the car was not cared for as it should.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok - despite my trying to remain hopeful it looks like the timing belt has slipped!

On taking the rocker cover off I discovered 4 of the valve rockers have been destroyed - at least I know the problem.

Can anyone give me a guesstimate of the cost Im looking at from a garage (parts & labour). I guess I need:

4 new rockers & accs
New Timing belt fitted and timed up
New Aux Belt

Not really confident enough to try this myself!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts