Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Y-reg (no spring chicken!) 306 remote car key casings had become worn out, to the point that the 'open'/'close' buttons no longer worked due to 'plastic fatigue'.

So I bought a new casing from a fellow on eBay and received it yesterday. Apart from the absence of the Peugeot lion on the back, the casing was identical to the old ones, only new and with functioning buttons.

I 'transplanted' the cut key (metal), as well as the little electronic bit+3027 battery, without any problems. Checking, the remote control worked perfectly for both opening and shutting, as expected. I thought no more about it.

Then, this morning, she opened again normally with the 'new' key but the car wouldn't start for love nor money. She cranks over enthusiastically but doesn't catch, which makes me think the problem is fuel supply - immobiliser?

Reverting back to the old key, now empty of all electronics, she started without problems! I've since switched back and forth between both keys several times and it's clear: one (new) serves as remote but can't ignite the engine, the other (old) does not work remotely but has no problem igniting the engine!

Does anyone have the slightest idea what might be going on here?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
This has been covered many times on here, do a search. The best answer is that there is a tiny immobiliser chip that's been left inside the old key case, look inside very carefully as it's a tiny chip! This must be transferred to the new case or the car will not start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all!

Found the "chip" (looks more like a small magnet to me) in the old key. After transplanting, all is now well. :thumb:

The "chip" is a small, rectangular piece of unmarked metal (with a corner cut off, it seems), tucked into the side of the case with the logo on and close to the end of the metal key.

Thanks again! :cool:

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its ok we all know what the chip looks like :) its not metal its carbon you do not need to replace the whole case i just fit the bit that has the new button this avoids your issue.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Thank you all!

Found the "chip" (looks more like a small magnet to me) in the old key. After transplanting, all is now well. :thumb:

The "chip" is a small, rectangular piece of unmarked metal (with a corner cut off, it seems), tucked into the side of the case with the logo on and close to the end of the metal key.

Thanks again! :cool:
Good for you mate, glad you got it sorted!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its ok we all know what the chip looks like :) its not metal its carbon you do not need to replace the whole case i just fit the bit that has the new button this avoids your issue.
Ermmm...no. 'we' don't all know: I for one didn't! I included the description for future searchers that may find this thread. And in my case the key case had been battered so badly that only a complete replacement would do.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Ermmm...no. 'we' don't all know: I for one didn't! I included the description for future searchers that may find this thread. And in my case the key case had been battered so badly that only a complete replacement would do.
Thats the problem though people tend only to come to the forum AFTER they have fixed their key and the car no longer starts the info IS already on the forum for all to see !

Im not having a dig at you but this comes up every week no matter how many threads are open people never seem to research BEFORE doing the fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts