Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version:
I tried to start my '94 306 and the alarm went off and all the electrics died. I need to reset it or trash the immobiliser (or whatever) to limp it home. Please.

Longer version:
I swapped my old car for a '94 306 cabriolet just over 1 year ago. When I was looking round it the car seemed fine, a little untidy but it was all cosmetic and the mechanics were fine. As soon as I got it home I started having trouble with the alarm randomly going off, when I slammed a door, temperamentally whilst I was driving it, and even when the sun came up (fob wouldn't stop it, just kept going til it stopped of it's own accordance). The remote central locking was working at this time and it had a third party alarm (though I forget the brand, but it was a smaller one) and I found the company on the internet and they hooked me up with somebody to fix it. This guy charged me £35 for 30 minutes work and all he did was tell me it was ****ed and disconnect it. Since the fob for the third party alarm was the one that was used to trigger the remote central locking it stopped responding but the regular central locking (using the key) worked just fine.
Unfortunately, since it was a convertible and I only have one years no claims the insurance was £1400 and since the handbrake cable had just snapped I ditched the car in a private car park and it ended up spending a year there (battery disconnected, seemed to kill the alarm since it sounded like the alarm's own battery was dying). After numerous threats from the council to destroy the car at my expense I finally got round to moving it and I drove it to a garage where I asked them to do something about the alarm (I asked them to pull the battery out if nothing else) and all the usual; MOT, service, and basically fix everything that was wrong with it. I'd say they lost that list because all they did was the handbrake cable and the MOT but I also thought they'd done the alarm. When I spoke to the main mechanic/owner dude (a friend of my Dad's) he said he hadn't been the one who'd worked on it but he had noticed the alarm going of but he hadn't heard it after they'd done worked on it so he assumed it'd been looked at.
I went up to the car, opened it, no alarm, slammed the door, no alarm, drove it, no alarm (this was last Monday morning, today being Thursday). I thought it was all good so I could fix the alarm in my own time but I drove to meet some mates at a sports centre earlier today and when I went to leave I tried to start the car and the dials lit and spun up as normal then just shot down again right away and the alarm started going off quietly. The ignition wouldn't respond at all, the alarm kept going off and this time didn't respond. It sounded different though, it sounded ****ed, all messed up, it sound a bit like an old Sinclair Spectrum ZX loading a tape. I eventually stopped it by messing about with the alarm disable thing under the bonnet and the battery but the electrics were still dead and the alarm was back to it's constant going off state. Even the central locking wouldn't work.
Right now it's stuck in a car park at the sports centre, fortunately I know a senior supervisor there so they won't call the council or anything but I still need to sort this. Tomorrow I'm going to go down to my local Peugeot dealer and see what they can do about it but I'm going to have to use my brother's RAC cover to get it there and I'd rather be able to fix as much as possible myself because you know how much those gits charge you for any kind of job.
This wouldn't be so much of a major problem but I'm going on holiday on Sunday and I can't leave my car in the car park for two weeks, hence the urgency.

That's the story so far, and here's a few more problems with the car I'd appreciate any insight into:

The electric roof stopped while I was putting it back up, would this be the motor? a fuse? or whatever? And where can I find the offending unit?

The rubber trim surrounding the windscreen has started coming away in one corner, what's the best way of fixing this as pushing it back in doesn't seem to work and right now it's being held in with ugly white duct tape.

Ta. Sorry for long post.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Where to start?? Firstly peugeot will nail you with a bill that will take your breath away,find a good independant garage,sounds like the ecu has developed a fault. The roof problem has been answered on this forum just try the search buton.If the windscreen rubber is starting to perish go to a local scrappy/breakers yard get another one,remove windscreen and re-fit.:thumb:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361&highlight=roof

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do Texalarm go under a different name now or something? I can't find anyone who advertises working on them? I'm concerned that I may end up going to the Peugeot dealer. The work would be guaranteed wouldn't it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts