Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My car failed the MOT due to rear brake inefficiency and handbrake travel (to be honest the handbrake works but there is no tension until fully on.)
I have gone to remove the drums at the back to see if the shoes have worn and need replacing which is something I have done on other cars.
There's no bolt or screw holding the drum on. Is this a case of persuading the drum off as its the wheel bolts holding it on? Or do I need to do something else to get the drums off.
Many thanks in advance.

Clive.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Obviously you will need to back off the brake shoes so they are not binding and from my personal experience of brake drums from way way back, a rubber mallet to help convince the drums to come off.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If you have small drums the centre nut holds them IE its all 1 piece with the bearing you remove the drum and bearing together.

If you have big drums then there is a screw holding the drum to the hub this may have been thrown away in past if so there will be a screw hole between 2 of the wheel bolt holes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I think it must be the small drums as there is definitely no screw holes in the drum. Covering the centre is a circular disc under which is a big nut and circlip. Am I now right in thinking that I remove the circlip and nut and then the drum and wheel bearing comes off as one unit?
Ta muchly. Clive

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Just the nut the circlip holds the bearing into the drum/hub I do it by removing the nut till its on its last few threads then refit the wheel hold the tyre and pull the whole thing out till it hits the nut then remove nut and pull it all off.

The wheel gives you more pulling force on the hub as it needs to come straight off due to non tapered bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts