Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Has anyone considered a re-map? I nearly did it on the 308 with the same 1.6 120bhp diesel I'll have in the 3008. I think it requires ECU removal for it to be done on these but can get up to around 140bhp and 350nm torque. Thats from a local remap company with rolling road.

My worry is and always will be side effects and voiding the warranty.

Not sure if its worth doing on the SUV but I think a little extra pull might account for the little extra weight compared to the 308.

Thoughts or concerns?

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,

Has anyone considered a re-map? I nearly did it on the 308 with the same 1.6 120bhp diesel I'll have in the 3008. I think it requires ECU removal for it to be done on these but can get up to around 140bhp and 350nm torque. Thats from a local remap company with rolling road.

Not sure if its worth doing on the SUV but I think a little extra pull might account for the little extra weight compared to the 308.

Thoughts or concerns?

Cheers
Tom
Have a look at TDI tuning, they a have a page on facebook with lots of reviews and comments.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
funnily enough i stumbled across their website whilst looking up the figures quoted for gains.

although I worry about tuning boxes for some reason. having a pre-loaded device that you plug in and hope it suits your car. Or setting it up on a dyno for bespoke vehicle gains (similar price no less).

Plus ive heard horror stories of other items failing with a tuning box, mainly because the technology was designed for an older generation of diesel.

That being said, just being able to unplug it is fairly decent.

Will look into it more I guess.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tdi-tuning seem to be offering good gains on the 1.6 bluehdi. I guess for something so easily reversed that leaves no trace should you want to take it off, its pretty decent. I shall wait and see what she drives like first. May not be necessary at all.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hi All,

Thoughts or concerns?

Cheers
Tom
This world is full of seemingly crazy people! Why didn't you get the 2litre 150hp in the first place?????

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
This world is full of seemingly crazy people! Why didn't you get the 2litre 150hp in the first place?????
Something I always wondered. Yes - there may be a premium added to the cost of buying the car from new with higher BHP but then you don't have to worry about the warranty, worrying about what a remap might do to the engine in the mid term or worrying about what the insurance company would do a) if you tell them or b) if you don't tell them>

When I bought my first 307 I phoned the insurance and asked them how it would affect my policy if I retrofitted cruise control. They said they wouldn't cover the car as they would class it as a performance enhancement so I can imagine what they would have said if I asked about a performance increasing remap :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I always love the remap posts on forums as they bring out two types of people who then do battle. The speedsters and the warranty lovers. The only forums where they don't is on vehicles where they have a very active tuning scene like Fords, Subaru, or VAG forums. I reckon if you're thinking of tuning your car with a remap then you're already well aware that you COULD be voiding your warranty and if you want to do it then just bloody go for it.

I've seen the TDI chip tuning box as I keep getting an advert appear in my Facebook feed showing the performance gains on a 308 GT Line from 148bhp to 195bhp which is pretty impressive gains. The GT with a tuning box on it would likely make 220bhp which is excellent with no factory line alternatives on offer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want to tune your car, lower it, put bigger wheels on it, spray paint your dashboard then go for it but in the correct way especially when it comes to insurance. If you're not into the above then just enjoy your own car and leave the other guys to enjoy their cars the way they want to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If we use that logic why stop there, why not buy a Ferrari? Or maybe a Veyron? I get what you're saying but for the money these cost there are lots of faster cars available. As a response, its perfectly valid. The way the response was delivered could perhaps have been a little more well constructed.

Some people may have only been able to get the 1.6 diesel for whatever reason. The above response may not be suitable for those people who genuinely may wish to explore other avenues.

Thank you for your reply nonetheless, it certainly does make sense as an option to getting a faster 3008 lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I chose the option I did because it seems like the right suit for my budget and my needs. However as a car enthusiast I was hoping to see what others may have done in the performance enhancing arena.

Sure there is talk of a remap voiding a warranty, but has anyone ever experienced this in the real world? A tuning box that can be removed with no trace surely wont void the warranty if they have no trace of it?

Insurance wise it good as makes no difference on our policy. They advised us that it would not alter our premium so long as it was reversible whereas a remap allegedly increased the premium by about 2%.

I have no idea how they calculate these things but there you go.

What is potentially possible with this box is the following:

1.6L Standard
Weight: 1300kg
Power: 120hp
Torque: 300NM
MPG: 70.6 (yeah right)

2.0L Standard
Weight: 1425kg
Power: 150hp
Torque: 370NM
MPG: 64.2
Power:Weight = 105hp/ton

1.6L Tuning Box
Weight: 1300kg
Power: 156hp (+6 on the 2.0)
Torque: 376NM (+6 on the 2.0)
MPG: 84.2 (probably unrealistic)
Power:Weight = 120hp/ton

When bought new, the 2.0L 150 diesel is £1220 more expensive list price on a GT Line trim. It adds 5 weeks to the build time.

This box will allegedly get you better performance for £300 (give or take).

Regardless of the warranty or the insurance, thats a pretty attractive proposition. If its accurate in its claims of course.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If we use that logic why stop there, why not buy a Ferrari? Or maybe a Veyron? I get what you're saying but for the money these cost there are lots of faster cars available. As a response, its perfectly valid. The way the response was delivered could perhaps have been a little more well constructed.

Some people may have only been able to get the 1.6 diesel for whatever reason. The above response may not be suitable for those people who genuinely may wish to explore other avenues.

Thank you for your reply nonetheless, it certainly does make sense as an option to getting a faster 3008 lol.
It don't make any difference how I put it and I don't mean to offend anyone, especially those that are on a budget, but you did ask "thoughts or concerns" in your first post so you got mine.
Reversing my logic, (yours), you may as well go out and by an older 3008 for say £5k. The amount of money you'd save would allow you to have a nitro conversion put on it. As I said "crazy people"!

Grumpy.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Here in the UK the only EAT option for the 2.0 litre 180 bhp and that only comes with the GT (>£32K). The 1.6 120bhp EAT option is available on the Allure and comes in far less.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It don't make any difference how I put it and I don't mean to offend anyone, especially those that are on a budget, but you did ask "thoughts or concerns" in your first post so you got mine.
Reversing my logic, (yours), you may as well go out and by an older 3008 for say £5k. The amount of money you'd save would allow you to have a nitro conversion put on it. As I said "crazy people"!

Grumpy.
There is that way of looking at it too.

I guess I should have been more specific to pre-clude with "providing the more powerful diesel or petrol engines were not available to you at the time" lol.

Its a shame the old 3008 is so fugly. Otherwise that may have been an option for me haha.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
It don't make any difference how I put it and I don't mean to offend anyone, especially those that are on a budget,
Surely, those that have the funds so as not to be on a budget wouldn't be looking at the 3008 regardless of which flavour they could get anyways. They'd be looking at the more exotic true SUV's in the first place. The new 3008 is still a crossover without 4WD and the planned version that will come with 4WD will still be a crossover. :nod: :thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its nippy enough based on driving it home from Bristol to Gloucester. Not sure a tuning box or remap is necessary.

Very happy with it even if the Tom Tom Live is not yet setup :mad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's suprisingly little difference between the 2-litre 150 bhp and the 1.6-litre 120 bhp versions. Yes, of course it's faster, but it's also a whopping 120 kg heavier!

Then again the 2.0-litre diesel in the GT is the same 2-litre engine as the 150 bhp, but tuned differently, so you could probably tickle out some 200 bhp easily from the 150 bhp engine...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts