Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all my apologies if this topic has already been covered, as a Newbie this is my first post.!!
My 3008 is June 2016 model. 1.6 Allure Blue Diesel.Very pleased with it. Demo model with low mileage.However managed to catch a tyre on a kerb edge and wrote tyre off. Rear o/s wheel. When we got the car I bought a space saver wheel, so put that on. Disaster.!! Brake locked on, various indications tyre size, tyre pressure,ABS etc etc. Eventually managed to get the brake off and then to the Tyre depot where they changed the tyre. They also said this was quite common on new cars -'They are too clever for their own good'. Since we tow a caravan it is important to have a spare.

I am therefore looking for a new spare full size wheel, happy to get tyre fitted myself. Can anybody suggest where I could get one please. I have only tried one source but when I asked if their spare wheel (no tyre supplied) would work without problems they couldn't tell me. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi. I've just bought a 2014 3008 Allure with 18" alloys and which came with the tube of goo and a compressor rather than a spare. Not what I want to have in the boot if I get a puncture or rip the sidewall out exactly as you did and I've done on my last car. I did plenty of looking around and eventually found an alloy and tyre exactly the same as mine on ebay. Just had a quick look now and there are alloys on there now but without tyres so you'd have to get a cheapie fitted but at least if the alloy's the same then you can change the wheel and be on your way at normal speed rather than that allowed with a spacesaver. However it wasn't cheap at £175 but as I'd be in for a new tyre if I used the goo (Kwikfit for example won't fix punctures if you've used it - see their website) I decided it was well worth it.The goo may not work with a puncture anyway and certainly wouldn't fix a ripped out sidewall.
My wheel/tyre came from www.forestautosalvage.co.uk. I ordered it one afternoon and it arrived at midday the next day.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3008 Ful size spare wheel

Hi Mr,3008.

First of all thanks for your suggestions re getting spare wheel from Forest Auto Salvage. I had tried some Salvage people before and got nowhere.

I have got it sorted, I went to the Peugeot dealer where we got the car and from the details they had they ordered me a steel wheel and I had given them current tyre details etc. However having got the wheel my local tyre fitter said the wheel was 17" not 18". But the clever chaps suggested a slightly oversize tyre to make up the inch difference. !!(They have done this before apparently)(They also said this problem is getting more common on new cars of many makes)
I thought there might be a problem but we took the car for a run and all was OK with no problems or even alarms of any kind.As this will ever only be used as a spare thats fine. The steel wheel cost £65 and the mid-range tyre £100. Although it reduces our boot space the wheel fits the aperture OK but of course protrudes a bit.Sorted!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. My spare full-size wheel/tyre, the same as I have on the car, fits in the well perfectly so guess there's more than one option for anyone stuck with the goo and compressor. Obviously your tyre has a bigger profile than the others on the car to make it the same as the 18" wheel so not sure if that would affect the handling but as (hopefully) it'll never be used in anger then it's not a problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi folks yes i had this problem also with " mini spare " so i got a used full size one from e bay with good tyre for £50 ! just refurbished it a bit and stuck it in as spare . works for me

·
Registered
17 Posts
You had a bargain there OldCodgger, mine cost me £170 but there again it is an identically alloy to what I have on the car so I tell myself it was worth it!
Just bought a scissor jack supposedly for a 3008 but that barely gets the wheel off the ground so reckon I'll stick my trolley jack in the bottom of the boot and wrap it in a big old blanket or something to stop it rolling around :)

Car's costing me a fortune and I've only had it a week !!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Full-Size Spare Wheel 2008 eHdi 2013

:nod: Yes, same outcome for me too. Going off to France on holiday and not at all happy with no spare. Though of getting a mini-spare "Space-Saver" I think they're called. However, speed and distance (not to mention loading) restrictions mean that if you're on M-way or AutoRoute and you get a flat, on a Sunday, or Bank-Holiday, then you're snookered. Found a good 17" wheel with a pretty good looking tyre on eBay for £59 - sorted. N.B. If you have 18" Alloys like my Allure eHDi Oct-2013 then a 17" wheel is fine, as regards clearances and YES the 17" wheel's tyre profile makes up the difference in on-the-road circumference. Good old eBay :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
18" Spare?

Hi all, I've just got my first 3008 and am loving it, but am concerned about the spare wheel situation.

Can anyone confirm (Mr 3008?) that the 18" 235/45 spare will fit in the wheel well?

I'd been told it won't (and that a 225/50 17" will, although there's only mm in it).

If so, I'll start hunting for a spare. Always better to have the same wheel as a spare rather than a space saver!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Spare Wheel

Glad you got it sorted. My spare full-size wheel/tyre, the same as I have on the car, fits in the well perfectly so guess there's more than one option for anyone stuck with the goo and compressor. Obviously your tyre has a bigger profile than the others on the car to make it the same as the 18" wheel so not sure if that would affect the handling but as (hopefully) it'll never be used in anger then it's not a problem.
Hi just ordered wheel same as the one fitted from eBay £185 plus postage £20 also got tyre same as fitted Michelin £137 peace of mind for me

·
Registered
416 Posts
Spare Wheel

First of all my apologies if this topic has already been covered, as a Newbie this is my first post.!!
My 3008 is June 2016 model. 1.6 Allure Blue Diesel.Very pleased with it. Demo model with low mileage.However managed to catch a tyre on a kerb edge and wrote tyre off. Rear o/s wheel. When we got the car I bought a space saver wheel, so put that on. Disaster.!! Brake locked on, various indications tyre size, tyre pressure,ABS etc etc. Eventually managed to get the brake off and then to the Tyre depot where they changed the tyre. They also said this was quite common on new cars -'They are too clever for their own good'. Since we tow a caravan it is important to have a spare.

I am therefore looking for a new spare full size wheel, happy to get tyre fitted myself. Can anybody suggest where I could get one please. I have only tried one source but when I asked if their spare wheel (no tyre supplied) would work without problems they couldn't tell me. Thanks.

Hi like you prefer to have spare wheel just ordered mine from eBay £185 plus £20 postage Michelin tyre cost £137

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the same last week.

18" alloy, the same as the car, and moved one of my good multi-directional tyres onto it so it can go on any corner (I needed to replace two of the tyres anyway, and put one on the spare, so did all four at the same time)

It fits fine in the wheel well and is just a little proud of the boot floor.

If anyone needs a good tyre (6mm tread, multi-directional) to make their own 18" spare, get in touch! I have one available!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Full Size Spare Wheel 18 inch

Hi all just an update on spare wheel fitting in well just had a full size tyre fitted to my 18 inch wheel 235/45/18 R it fits into well no problem just slightly raised but can still fit floor panel.No worry now about blow out jack and brace fit into wheel recess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.