Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I changed the front wheel bearings on my 2010 3008 1.6 hdi this afternoon.

Old bearings were becoming very noisy after 80,000 miles.

I removed the wheel hubs and took them to an engineering place to get the hub and old bearings pushed out and the new ones pressed in.

On returning home I built everything back together and went for a test run.

Everything was running smoothly until I went to turn and heard a low cracking noise coming from the hubs.

Put back in workshop and lifted front up to discover quite a bit of play in the hubs.

I tightened the the hub nuts again this time with a 3/4 drive socket bar and 4 foot length of piping!

I am still getting play in both hubs! Would definitely be an MOT failure if going for a test.

Have I done something wrong when refitting of could I have been given the wrong bearings?

I got the bearings from my local motor factors. They are Premier Bearings wheel bearing kit number PWK0532. Cost almost £30 each. They said they had cheaper bearings (£19 each) but I went for the more expensive ones as I was only planning on doing this job once!

The bearings were pressed completely into place and the new cir-clip fitted. magnetic side facing inwards to work with the ABS sensors.

Any help or advice appreciated!

· Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

A quick search returned the torque required to tighten is 345nm.. Even a few nm less will give play, I had a similar issue on a Ford Cougar once, what I thoughts was tight using a socket + 6ft scaffold pole wasn't quite enough..

I took it to a local truck garage who had a wrench strong enough to torque up a little bit more and all was good.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rossco

thanks for the reply

I had a go at torquing up the bearings this afternoon with a borrowed truck bar that goes to 900 nm.

I kept tightening the nuts gradually and stopped at 500 nm and still have some play in the bearings, although they are better than when I started.

Afraid of damaging the drive shaft or nut threads if I go any further.

Tomorrow morning going to contact the motor factors I got the bearings from and make sure they are the correct ones.

I have never tightened bearings to this degree before! And still have movement!!

A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.