Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting fabulous economy, good ground clearance (high crowned unsealed roads),engineered lightness, quality, respectable resale.
I don't need 4(A)WD.
The Mercedes GLA 200 CDI has good resale and meets my requirements but isn't particularly exciting beyond the brand name.
Anyone owned or driven one?.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm wanting fabulous economy, good ground clearance (high crowned unsealed roads),engineered lightness, quality, respectable resale.
I don't need 4(A)WD.
The Mercedes GLA 200 CDI has good resale and meets my requirements but isn't particularly exciting beyond the brand name.
Yes Dave, here's the story:- My current vehicle is a B200 AMG which I've owned from new for 3 years this coming September. I was considering the GLA 200 diesel automatic so had a loan for the weekend back April.
What put me off mostly was just how small it felt inside the cabin, even against the B200. Headroom was poor and sitting in the back was nigh on impossible.
The ride was too harsh; when doing 30 down a light bumpy road I was doing 50 inside the car. Still, it held up well and there was no mechanical noises banging around inside.
Fuel economy was what I expected at around 35-40 town driving and in access of 55 out on the open road.
I was all set to buy another Merc only this time I wanted go back to an SUV but the GLA put me off.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Dave, here's the story:- My current vehicle is a B200 AMG which I've owned from new for 3 years this coming September. I was considering the GLA 200 diesel automatic so had a loan for the weekend back April.
What put me off mostly was just how small it felt inside the cabin, even against the B200. Headroom was poor and sitting in the back was nigh on impossible.
The ride was too harsh; when doing 30 down a light bumpy road I was doing 50 inside the car. Still, it held up well and there was no mechanical noises banging around inside.
Fuel economy was what I expected at around 35-40 town driving and in access of 55 out on the open road.
I was all set to buy another Merc only this time I wanted go back to an SUV but the GLA put me off.
Thanks mate :thumb:
The B Class is also interesting to me......if it has reasonable ground clearance.
I also thought the GLA looked a bit tight on the inside.
The true achilles heal for Peugeot is depreciation, but I want this one as a 'keeper' in any case.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks mate :thumb:
The B Class is also interesting to me......if it has reasonable ground clearance.
I also thought the GLA looked a bit tight on the inside.
The true achilles heal for Peugeot is depreciation, but I want this one as a 'keeper' in any case.
No problem Dave. I can furnish you with as much data as you need for the B200 and to answer your initial query of 'ground clearance': I have no issues with this. It happily drives over 'split sleeping policemen (two big bumps in the road designed to slow the traffic)' without the usual aiming the tyres for one of the bumps to ensure nothing hits the chassis.
If truth be known I would get another in a heartbeat were it not for the fact it's now too low for my aching back. Getting out after even half an hour can be agony ~ that and my drive is very steep. Those front doors are mighty heavy and it has been known for my wife sitting in the other front seat to 'push me out'!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't need 4(A)WD.
If you are considering Mercedes and don't need the full size of the 3008, then the GLA is very good to drive. However, if you need the size of the 3008 I would suggest you try the GLC instead. The GLA have more headroom than the 3008, but other than that it's a pretty small car compared to the 3008.

The GLA is just a crossover A-class. While the A-class (and GLA) are in the C-segment, the SUV's in the C-segment (3008 and GLC) are bigger than the C-segment hatchbacks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are considering Mercedes and don't need the full size of the 3008, then the GLA is very good to drive. However, if you need the size of the 3008 I would suggest you try the GLC instead. The GLA have more headroom than the 3008, but other than that it's a pretty small car compared to the 3008.

The GLA is just a crossover A-class. While the A-class (and GLA) are in the C-segment, the SUV's in the C-segment (3008 and GLC) are bigger than the C-segment hatchbacks.
Thanks Agmuns
Seat height is important also and like Beards I'm completely over knee bends and stooping to climb in......hopefully it's not too low for just us two oldies.
The GLA had me thinking it might be a bit cramped inside.
The B isn't exactly glamorous but that's not our priority.
Can't wait to 'feel' the 3008 though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I looked at the GLC non-coupe before going with the 3008 :D

Lovely car interior and head/boot space, tired old engine and gearbox.

However at £43K list price I thought by the time it comes out second hand the diesel on it would be subject to some sort of taxation and the fixing cost of the 9 speed auto.. hmmm...

The interior uses better quality components than the 3008, chiefly the leather trim is better but it does still have an old school push button world controls in addition to the iPad style mechanism.. and dials. iCockpit is better from that perspective. The GLC controls look dated inside.

Running costs.. hmmm probably 3 times the cost of the 3008SUV but the GLC is miles ahead of audi and BMW.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at the GLC non-coupe before going with the 3008 :D

Lovely car interior and head/boot space, tired old engine and gearbox.

However at £43K list price I thought by the time it comes out second hand the diesel on it would be subject to some sort of taxation and the fixing cost of the 9 speed auto.. hmmm...

The interior uses better quality components than the 3008, chiefly the leather trim is better but it does still have an old school push button world controls in addition to the iPad style mechanism.. and dials. iCockpit is better from that perspective. The GLC controls look dated inside.

Running costs.. hmmm probably 3 times the cost of the 3008SUV but the GLC is miles ahead of audi and BMW.
Thanks Nick
Personally I think the best thing Peugeot has done recently is going to a 'conventional' automatic from the Japanese.
Long term, DSG type ones frighten me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No problem Dave. I can furnish you with as much data as you need for the B200 and to answer your initial query of 'ground clearance': I have no issues with this. It happily drives over 'split sleeping policemen (two big bumps in the road designed to slow the traffic)' without the usual aiming the tyres for one of the bumps to ensure nothing hits the chassis.
If truth be known I would get another in a heartbeat were it not for the fact it's now too low for my aching back. Getting out after even half an hour can be agony ~ that and my drive is very steep. Those front doors are mighty heavy and it has been known for my wife sitting in the other front seat to 'push me out'!
Hi Beards, I have a 180B at the moment and think it great in almost every respect (though the style is a little boring and I am getting older too and find it a bit low to get in and out of) but the one thing I do find annoying is excessive road/tyre noise, tell me do you find that in your B200

Tony

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Beards, I have a 180B at the moment and think it great in almost every respect (though the style is a little boring and I am getting older too and find it a bit low to get in and out of) but the one thing I do find annoying is excessive road/tyre noise, tell me do you find that in your B200

Tony
Interesting point Tony
Out here we have coarse chip bitumen which is extremely difficult to engineer out.
How is your 3008 with road noise?......ah, sorry you're still waiting.
Anyone else contribute on road noise?.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting point Tony
Out here we have coarse chip bitumen which is extremely difficult to engineer out.
How is your 3008 with road noise?.
Hi Dave, My 3008 is still on order. But I drove a 3008 1.6 diesel on a test drive which include a stretch of concrete motorway (usually very noisy) and was very pleased at the lack of noise.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Dave, My 3008 is still on order. But I drove a 3008 1.6 diesel on a test drive which include a stretch of concrete motorway (usually very noisy) and was very pleased at the lack of noise.
Thanks Tony
For us it's a deal breaker......it's like the constant drone of a big bypass jet engine which is simply tiring on long trips.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Tony
Actually road noise is pretty good Tony and that has always surprised me given that I have the 18" low profile tyres.
The engine considering it's diesel is exceptionally quiet and when cruising at 50mph its hardly ticking over at just under 2000rpm.

As I mentioned to Dave earlier ~ were it not for the fact I am now finding it a pain to get in and out (especially out) I would get another in a heart beat.
I have never ever had an issue and as far as looks go mine has internally the light grey leather all over and still looks stylish even after 3 years of driving. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Actually road noise is pretty good Tony and that has always surprised me given that I have the 18" low profile tyres.
The engine considering it's diesel is exceptionally quiet and when cruising at 50mph its hardly ticking over at just under 2000rpm.

As I mentioned to Dave earlier ~ were it not for the fact I am now finding it a pain to get in and out (especially out) I would get another in a heart beat.
I have never ever had an issue and as far as looks go mine has internally the light grey leather all over and still looks stylish even after 3 years of driving. :)
Thanks for the reply Dave, the noise must be down to the 16 inch tyres on my 180B which is also diesel and very economical and I too have not had any other issues with the car and considered getting another but for the bending which is an issue with me and age

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks for the reply Dave, the noise must be down to the 16 inch tyres on my 180B which is also diesel and very economical and I too have not had any other issues with the car and considered getting another but for the bending which is an issue with me and age
No problem Tony ?
The names Mike btw. Dave is Nagaman ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts