Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to think that, for us private buyers, there is a significant chance that there will be sufficient demand for them, as second hand purchases, that for once(?) we won't get burnt.
Whatcha think?.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Not much of a chance I would think. Everything revolves around the book price of the car and that is still going to depreciate the value using whatever formula they already use.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me it's a basic supply v demand question.
How many second hand Peugeots have been heavily sought after ?.

·
Administrator
2,908 Posts
The way they are currently selling them they'll be as common as the Astra so not holding out much hope for a good resale value as it would be a buyers market.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Used car values/depreciation is in the lap of the gods. Drive your new car away from the dealer and it's value can deprecate by anything up to 50% and it's influenced by supply and demand. At present the 3008 is in high demand and slow supply but what happens over the next 3 years is going to affect the residual values. The supply of 3 year old 3008's in 2020 is going to be plentiful as contracts expire and Peugeot has never been an ultra desirable marque. Other manufacturers are going to follow and build high tech SUVs which will impact on the used market but what is important is how the 3008 performs over the next 3 years and how the new car price increases. Manufacturer recalls and improvements, have a dramatic effect on car values as do car forums and motoring press comments. Glass's Guide, organisations like We Buy Any Car .com and Parkers virtually control the used markets and who knows how Brexit will influence matters? My guess is I expect my car to be worth 40 - 50% of the price paid new but not holding my breath. A better measure is the residual value being placed on rental contracts and mileage excesses, because there is no way these companies are going to be out of pocket at contract end,

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our annual unit sales are a bit over 1M but PSA product sales are under 3K ! so it might be a bit different here.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Qashqai has been in the top 3 UK sales table since introduction, they're everywhere! I still got over the book price when I sold it.

3008 1.2 GT Line Pearl White
That's what I'm hoping for this Peugeot which has never sold in big numbers before and hopefully becomes a breakout model.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Qashqai has been in the top 3 UK sales table since introduction, they're everywhere! I still got over the book price when I sold it.

That just confirms my original statement that it all revolves around the book price. The book price is a guide for the trade and prices on individual models can be higher or lower dependent on condition, mileage etc.

Selling to a car dealer will usually mean a lower value than the book price whilst buying from a car dealer will more often than not attract a higher price tag than the book price. As the general public don't have easy access to the Glass's guides or Parkers (webuyanycar are not a good example as their quotes are well below the going rate) they aren't really in a position to know if a price is fair or not beyond comparing it with others cars of similar spec, age & condition. Yes you can get more than the book price but when the used car sale price is set too high, regardless of how popular the car may be, people will walk away if they can get a similar perceived more attractive marque at the same or even lower price.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That just confirms my original statement that it all revolves around the book price. The book price is a guide for the trade and prices on individual models can be higher or lower dependent on condition, mileage etc.

Selling to a car dealer will usually mean a lower value than the book price whilst buying from a car dealer will more often than not attract a higher price tag than the book price. As the general public don't have easy access to the Glass's guides or Parkers (webuyanycar are not a good example as their quotes are well below the going rate) they aren't really in a position to know if a price is fair or not beyond comparing it with others cars of similar spec, age & condition. Yes you can get more than the book price but when the used car sale price is set too high, regardless of how popular the car may be, people will walk away if they can get a similar perceived more attractive marque at the same or even lower price.
I see what you're saying about book price, the point I was trying to make was that despite the numbers produced demand was still there for it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When selling my car I've always found it best to try both a dealer for a pt.ex. value and a car purchase website for straight purchase and this sets the bench mark. The other alternative is a private sale through Auto Trader or the like but then there's the hassle of bartering, clearing funds and never knowing who you're dealing with! I've found We Buy Any Car.com to be about average and it leaves me the freedom to negotiate a new car price without a pt. ex. Worth remembering though, new car dealers get the pt exchanges underwritten so they don't carry any risk. Only got 3 years to wait to determine how the 3008 performs in the market! :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi I'm a newbie, just wanted to add my experience, I'm selling my qashqai at present and webuyanycar are offering around £500 less than book price, (10 plate n tec model), Evans halshaw have offered more than webuyanycar by about £200,personally I'd prefer to sell to one of these to save the hassle of time wasters etc by selling private, I really do like the 3008 and hope they do hold their value!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi I'm a newbie, just wanted to add my experience, I'm selling my qashqai at present and webuyanycar are offering around £500 less than book price, (10 plate n tec model), Evans halshaw have offered more than webuyanycar by about £200,personally I'd prefer to sell to one of these to save the hassle of time wasters etc by selling private, I really do like the 3008 and hope they do hold their value!
What any of these sites offer online and what they offer after they inspect your car can be poles apart.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes very true, I sold a previous car to them and the guy did knock me down very slightly due to a couple of scratches, suppose it depends on the salesman really
500 quid less than book sounds like a good deal though. I know on my car they offered £8000 and book is £11000 for private. I noticed on their site at least for my car they don't let you include most of the options so they are basing their price on base level spec.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Sane old story, rock bottom offer based on basic car with no options, the a ludicrous forecourt price that takes account of all the fitted options. Doesn't matter what you own, you will always get fleeced by most dealers when it's time to change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes book price private for mine is coming up at just short of £5500, Evans halshaw have valued it at £ 5100, and they don't charge an admin fee( which is about £60 at webuyanycar I think), could all change when I get there most probably!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes book price private for mine is coming up at just short of £5500, Evans halshaw have valued it at £ 5100, and they don't charge an admin fee( which is about £60 at webuyanycar I think), could all change when I get there most probably!!!
I did note that after a week WBAC contacted me back again and increased the offer by £300. Quite how my car couldn't have gotten dearer in the space of a week I have no idea. But they obviously are looking for people who are desperate for cash. So worth waiting a week to see if they up it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.