Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. Recently bought a low mileage v6 petrol to replace my 2.7 hdi.

It wouldn't start the morning after I brought it home from the dealer.

Left it for 24 hours and it started the next morning.

The same thing happened a couple of times over the following month or so.

But I wasn't too concerned although I did notice a slight screech of protest each time when starting the car from cold.

Took it into the garage to have the cam belt replaced because of the age of the car.

Went to collect it and the car wouldn't start.

The garage thought it was probably the starter.

So bought a replacement starter motor from Eurocarparts for the garage to fit.

The garage fitted new starter which worked, ie it started the car, but gave out a terrible screeching sound.

The garage said that the new starter (pinion?) is is afew mm too small - hence the screech.

What do you think is causing the screech and what should I do?

I'm inclined to take the car to another garage because I'm starting to lack confidence in their ability to do the job.

Any help very gratefully received.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok - problem solved.

The starter motor had failed (probably the solenoid but didn't check)

the screech was caused by a faulty replacement motor so had to remove it, get a replacement and fit it.

All seems OK now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, looks that way.

Now onto solving the next problem: slight surging at low rpm and when ticking over. Only happens when the car is at operating temperature. Plus a serious flat spot when accelerating hard - seems to get stuck in 3rd or possibly 4th and revs go up to 4K before it will change up. Also, the revs generally seem a bit on the high side for a given speed - my old 2.7 hdi would cruise at 70 @2krpm or [email protected] Pulled much better too. This one cruises at [email protected], [email protected] 2.8K.

Basically the petrol engine feels underpowered when compared to the 2.7hdi.

If what I'm experiencing is normal for a 3.0 petrol then I shall probably get rid of it. The bhp is higher so I'd expected something a bit hotter than the diesel.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
You cant really compare the 2 although the petrol engine has more power the diesel has probably twice the torque and it's that you feel pulling you along

The petrol engine also has variable valve timing and pulls better higher up the rev range they are very different engines I prefer the petrol purely for the reliability of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I've only just seen your last post. Yes, the engines are so different but I'm getting used to the different style of driving needed for the petrol V6 - particularly when accelerating at lower speeds when the trick seems to be not kicking hard down on the accelerator - instead just let the car feel its way up thru the gears in its own sweet time.

As for reliability: I've already had to replace a lower ball joint and a starter motor on a 65K mile car. And now, I'm getting an intermittent "STOP: engine temperature too high" message on the dash plus the water coolant temperature gauge goes off the scale - almost always when setting off from home, never when the engine is warm. But I don't stop, the message disappears after a couple of minutes and the temperature gauge returns to normal. The coolant level is somewhat down (I topped it up 6 months ago) and there is steam in the exhaust for a long time after setting off. Looks to me like coolant might be getting into the engine somewhere but I'm hoping its only a faulty thermostat somewhere in the cooling system. I've looked at Service Box but can't see where the thermostat is located or how easy/hard it is to change.

Any suggestions? I've a Carsoft ODBD reader which diagnoses the following message for the automatic gearbox "engine coolant temperature signal fault. Value received incorrect" but no other faults.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts