Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting pissed off witht he car now. after our last £10's worth of fuel,we managed 63m then the light came on. we had to nip out view a house then go hospital and on way back put fuel in,by this time we had covered 68m (so 5m into reserve) i put £10 in and got 7.30 litres @ £1.36 and still the needle hasnt budged nor has the light gone out! :mad: second time this has happened after going into red,the needle not budging! by rights £10's worth of fuel should have knocked the light off and moved the needle. Aint fillin up again,not wasting money! bloody car! :mad:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its ridicolous tbh,i was only 5mile into the red,so really you'd think putting £10 in would give you £10's worth of fuel putting back what we had used in the red.

The car we had previously was a focus and the needle was great,if we used say 10miles in the red and put £10 in,the light would go out and it would give us what we have left.

you shouldnt have to think 's**t the lights on,we need fuel asap'.

lasttime we drove a bit into the red we put £10 in,needle didnt move so on the safe side we put another £10 in the day after and we got half a tank :confused:

·
Registered
909 Posts
a lot of systems need about 10litres of fuel to go in before they can register any difference on the gauge. I have had a few cars like that and some even told you in the owners manual. As said above, puttin £10 is like puttin a £5 in 5/6 years ago. It now cost around £7 to fill a small petrol can

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need a bicycle. No fuel needed:thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
i know lol

a lot of systems need about 10litres of fuel to go in before they can register any difference on the gauge. I have had a few cars like that and some even told you in the owners manual. As said above, puttin £10 is like puttin a £5 in 5/6 years ago. It now cost around £7 to fill a small petrol can
yeah i understand,like i said lasttime this happened and i had ran a few miles into reserve we put 10 in,then another 10 day after and got half a tank. so theres more in it than we think.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The hyundai coupe i had (2003 model) stated in the handbook that a minimum of 8litres of fuel had to be transferred into the tank before the computer would recognise any fuel went in.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Who puts £10 at a time in in 2013? That's bugger all.
If you're sticking in £10 regularly, just put £30 in less often.
Running it low regularly isn't going to do it any favours.

I fail to see how filling the tank is wasting money if it's money you're putting in anyway £10 at a time.:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
not good to be letting the tank so low on a regular basis as it only risks sucking crud in to the fuel pump screens and a whole lot of fueling issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who puts £10 at a time in in 2013? That's bugger all.
If you're sticking in £10 regularly, just put £30 in less often.
Running it low regularly isn't going to do it any favours.

I fail to see how filling the tank is wasting money if it's money you're putting in anyway £10 at a time.:confused:
us lol have always stuck £10 a time in,last a few days,sometime we do stick £20 itll last us a week then. just depends really as to where we're goin but more often then not we put 10 in.

not good to be letting the tank so low on a regular basis as it only risks sucking crud in to the fuel pump screens and a whole lot of fueling issues.
na we dont run it low,soon as fuel light comes up we top up as normal person.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I really don't see why you say you are sick of the car. Sticking a tenner in when the light comes on is wasting fuel as you have to visit the pumps more often.

My low fuel light came on last wednesday night on my way home from work. I finished the trip doing around 28 miles then went to work and back home the following day which is a round trip of 120 miles so I drove 148 miles from the warning light coming on and still had fuel to get me to the pumps the following morning.

Rather than keep posting that you have only done x number of miles for a tenner, brim the tank, reset the trip to zero and see how many miles you get until the light comes on. Doing this several times is the only way you will find out what mileage you are getting.

My 307 is averaging 56 MPG based on 15 fuel-ups (all tank filled) and covering 9738 miles. This is an average of 11.4p per mile so at that average I would get 87.719 miles for a tenner.

My Peugeot 307 (Peugeot 307) | Fuelly

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
always put £10 in,but ya right it is more trips to the pump.

148 miles on warning light? i read in book theres only 30mile?

thats fair enough saying work out the mpg by brimming it etc but as ive previously posted,i think there is somethin not right with my car. ill get it serviced soon and get the egr cleaned too and go from there.

oh and im not really good with mpg figures and i have never brimmed my car to work it out,ive been using an app which is givin me the 35mpg figures.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
always put £10 in,but ya right it is more trips to the pump.

thats fair enough saying work out the mpg by brimming it etc but as ive previously posted,i think there is somethin not right with my car. ill get it serviced soon and get the egr cleaned too and go from there.

oh and im not really good with mpg figures and i have never brimmed my car to work it out,ive been using an app which is givin me the 35mpg figures.
Yes 148+ from the warning light coming on - shows how inaccurate the system actually is. I get around 60 miles for each graduation on the fuel guage and when the light came on the guage was between the 2nd & 3rd graduations so I figured around 140 - 150 miles left.

There are several settings in the cars software for the fuel level....
The sender resistance when full
The sender resistance when empty
The capacity of the tank (60 litres on a 307)
Litres left in tank to switch on the warning light (default is 7 litres I think)

From the full & empty resistances, the software can work out an approximate fuel level from the resistance of the sender anywhere inbetween.

If the sender is faulty and the resistance is wrong then the guage could show nearly empty too soon or the warning light level could have been altered.

My trip computer is not very accurate. It always says I'm getting anywhere between 68 mpg and 72 mpg when in fact I'm getting around 56 mpg so anything the display is telling me I take with a pinch of salt. The last time the warning light came on the needle was above the red mark on the guage and I knew that I had at least 140 miles left in the tank. The trip computer said I had 131 miles left.

The guage and the trip computer are simply guides and when you get used to the misinformation, you can generally work out what is actually going on.

As for an app telling you you are getting 35 mpg - well I would take that with a pinch of salt. The only way to accurately work out you mpg is to exactly replace the fuel that has been used. You cannot know whether the fuel you have put in is more or less than the fuel used since you last put fuel in. The fluctuating price of fuel is also misleading - Today a tenner may buy you 7 litres but tomorrow may only get you 6 litres.

35 mpg is probably a decent enough figure if you spend most of your time travelling in rush hour traffic going nowhere very slowly but pretty poor if that was all motorway at a sensible speed. My 56 mpg is nearly all motorway at around 65 miles per hour.

Until you have accurately worked out your true MPG you can't say there is something wrong with the car. It could simply be that your fuel guage or fuel sender is faulty giving the impression that there is less fuel in the tank than there actually is. Your true MPG could very well be more than you think.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts

If that was true there would only be about half a gallon left my light comes on when there is 9 litres left

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes 148+ from the warning light coming on - shows how inaccurate the system actually is. I get around 60 miles for each graduation on the fuel guage and when the light came on the guage was between the 2nd & 3rd graduations so I figured around 140 - 150 miles left.

Going off your figures 30 miles in the tank = half a gallon then you are getting around 60 MPG so if your light comes on with 9 litres - more or less two gallons then you have 120 miles left in the tank. Depends how accurate the system is - you may have 9 litres or you could have more or less than 9 litres.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
its like any other car...i dare you to try your range to empty...When my light comes on it says 50 miles...mind some miles are obviously longer than others...but i have never had the bollocks to take my car to less than 10 miles... i get dirty pants when it gets to 15 miles left...

the reason i say that as being a diesel common rail...it will be a right pain to reprime as there is no priming bulb.

anyways...£10 is nothing nowadays... i used to put in £20 a week and be happy now that has increased to £30 a week on diesel...goes to show really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts