Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked to make this simple question a thread.
What is it for?.
Where does 230V come from?.
Who is ordering it?.
(sparks are always a mystery to me)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm guessing but I would suspect it will be an inverter of some kind. People use them for all kinds of reasons but in the main I'm guessing again that it will be for campers and such who want to be able to use a 230v fridge or for the girls and their hairdryer/straighteners.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing but I would suspect it will be an inverter of some kind. People use them for all kinds of reasons but in the main I'm guessing again that it will be for campers and such who want to be able to use a 230v fridge or for the girls and their hairdryer/straighteners.
Obviously it would require the engine to be running all the time, I guess?.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Obviously it would require the engine to be running all the time, I guess?.
What we do not know Dave is the wattage produced or the actual design be it a modified sinewave or a pure sinewave inverter.
I would imagine it to produce something around the 100W mark to power most household items which should mean it would be a modified sinewave inverter.

A modified sinewave inverter produces a stepped approximation of a pure sinewave inverter which makes it easier to produce. A modified sinewave inverter can power devices such as laptops, printers and chargers, although some items may pick up interference from the inverter. A solution for this is to upgrade to a pure sinewave inverter. A pure sinewave inverter is used to power sensitive electronic devices such as power motors, power tools, clocks or microwaves.

So lets say it's a modified sinewave inverter producing 100W. It would be fair to say that running from a 12V battery it should have enough energy to convert 90% of its energy supply into output power that theoretically would run for around 4 hours before a battery warning.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Wouldn't be much use to anyone in the UK, it comes with a European two pin socket. They don't do a UK version.

More likely intended to use a laptop or similar in the car.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Wouldn't be much use to anyone in the UK, it comes with a European two pin socket. They don't do a UK version.

The Car Configurator says "Includes a 3-Pin Outlet".

·
Registered
486 Posts

You should be able to get UK 3 pin. My demo vehicle had UK, 3 pin socket even though I'm not in UK.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've been asked to make this simple question a thread.
What is it for?.
Where does 230V come from?.
Who is ordering it?.
(sparks are always a mystery to me)
I use frequently to charge my laptop and DSLR camera batteries, when I'm off the grid. I use 12v inverter plug into the car 12v outlet. My vehicle support upto 120w output for each 12v outlet. You don't have to keep the engine running. Just need only power to the 12v socket. to fully charge my laptop I never keeps the engine running. I have use this to power normal fan (table type) and 32 inch LCD tv (not at the same time)

Do not bother about built-in 230v outlets. Just buy good quality 12v inverter. Just see the picture below what I'm currently using (link from amazon)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RINV1...&qid=1496327702&sr=8-30&keywords=12v+inverter

This is bit of a old model and I'm using this for several years. There are newer models now. It has built in fan to cool down but sometime if you work in quiet environment it may be bit irritating. It's just my experience.

If you buy a one always consider one having automatic voltage protection. Which cut off the power automatically if car battery voltage drop below certain level and do not affect the starting of the car.

If you use a car and you need to use this kind of 12v inverter plug in to cigarette outlets, always limits to maximum power drawn from it to 100w. Also, there are many 12v inverters which you can directly connect to the car battery (with separate wiring) which allow draw more power.

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
What we do not know Dave is the wattage produced or the actual design be it a modified sinewave or a pure sinewave inverter.
I would imagine it to produce something around the 100W mark to power most household items which should mean it would be a modified sinewave inverter.

A modified sinewave inverter produces a stepped approximation of a pure sinewave inverter which makes it easier to produce. A modified sinewave inverter can power devices such as laptops, printers and chargers, although some items may pick up interference from the inverter. A solution for this is to upgrade to a pure sinewave inverter. A pure sinewave inverter is used to power sensitive electronic devices such as power motors, power tools, clocks or microwaves.

So lets say it's a modified sinewave inverter producing 100W. It would be fair to say that running from a 12V battery it should have enough energy to convert 90% of its energy supply into output power that theoretically would run for around 4 hours before a battery warning.
Thank you Mike for reminding me why I went into Medical profession and not the electronic industry. :eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
IIRC reading the manual the 230V plug is only 120W max.

No hairdryers but certainly some laptop and iPad charging points.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Mike for reminding me why I went into Medical profession and not the electronic industry. :eek:
Me too Beau,
I suspect Beards is in the right industry for our times though.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Me too Beau,
I suspect Beards is in the right industry for our times though.
Happily retired now; though I must confess I put it all down to those countless years being shouted at by military personnel, then later having the ability to return the favour to the instructors as their Warrant Officer.
I did make it hard for them though as in this test:-

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've got the 230v socket in my 3008 but I haven't used it yet. It's a standard UK 3 pin socket and it's in the rear under the vents and 12v socket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts