Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE, 1200, NOT 1.4! Hello, my wife bought a brand new petrol 5d 1200 a year ago from a dealer 150 miles away. It was taken to our local dealer for it's first service on Friday, 2 June. There was also a rattle (from exhaust heat shield it transpires) and an ecu recall, both done as foc. However, the total bill was £270.74 incl VAT. This was queried as being a lot for a car 1 year old that had done less than 2000 miles. But we were told that filters, oil, plugs PLUS VAT etc were expensive and the recall and rattle were performed foc (!) So it was paid there and then, without protest as I expected a Peugeot dealer to be correct with their statement.
However, now I have looked into the handbook specification, it appears I have been given a service far exceeding the specification for what it should have had. It was registered at the end of May 2016 and has done 1877 miles only.
Breakdown is (£):
12 month schedule service 95.20
DRN plug Gask x1 0.55
Oil Filter x 1 8.97
BTCH OF FILTERS 22.18
Washer liquid 1.31
Air Filter x 1 18.06
Spark Plug x 3 50.10
Lubricant Ineo first Oil x3.25 29.25
TOTAL 225.62
VAT 45.12

Grand total being £270.74

Looking at my handbook, it appears it was serviced NOT as per specification.
Before I tackle them about this, is there a reason such a comprehensive service should have been performed on a vehicle with only 1877 miles from new?
You may think I am dumb paying it in the first place, but it is a few years since I had an "official Peugeot dealer" perform a service on my old 307sw 1.6hdi.
I thought it might be due to more stringent procedures in place on a modern 3 cylinder petrol car.
Thank you,
sholland

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Not sure if it still applies but it used to be the first service was basically just checking fluid levels and not much more but this was usually carried out after around 500 miles or a couple of months. If this is still the case you may have taken this service schedule as the one they should have carried out and the dealer has actually done the correct service schedule which would be the second service.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will need to dig deeper now with the garage as according to peugeot uk site and entering reg no. It is 12 months or 16k and with a main dealer quote of £187.50 all in. Service light came on at 12 months which was just after booked in. Book is stamped for first service and "normal use". Thanks anyway.
sholland

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
What exactly does your handbook specify as being required on a service after 12 months. Hard to compare what you mention as being done against what is specified in an unknown schedule. Mileage is not a variable as you have already confirmed the service is required at 12 months even if the car has only done a few miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil and filter replacement plus checks every 1 year or 16k. Plus checks and diagnostics. So, just oil, filter and labour really plus minor consumables I imagine. Spark plugs not until 32k or 4 years. I will email them and see what explanation they have for all the parts fitted.
sholland

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
So basically it's the plugs, Air filter, washer liquid & DRN plug Gask (whaterver that is) they did which you are objecting to. The cost of those parts plus the VAT taken off had they not been used would bring the cost down to roughly the same as the £187.50 you found.

I can understand you feeling agrieved about the extra cost, especially if the parts weren't needed and let's be honest, there really was no need to top up and charge for the washer liquid regardless of how little it costs. Plus I also thought that they were obliged to contact the customer to get authorisation for anything over and above the service schedule if there was a cost to it. Don't know if you would have been legally within your rights to refuse to pay for work carried out that wasn't authorised beforehand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty much so, but I do realise the washer fluid and I imagine sump plug washer/gasket are needed as well as oil and filter.
BTW, washer fluid is about 1 inch above engine mount, not full, but not really complaining. Anyway, I checked with Peugeot.co.uk for a service, entered my reg and mileage and named this garage as place to visit. Result was a fixed price quote of £158.16 !!
A polite email asking them to fully investigate has now been sent. I will now wait and see.
Thanks for all your comments,
sholland

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It seems the garage was blatantly dishonest fitting and charging for new plugs, assuming they actually did replace them - not that I'm cynical of course :) - this is what gets the motor trade a bad name.
Perhaps after you have resolved your dispute you might name and shame, be careful to stick to verifiable facts if you decide to do this. It would help others make a better informed choice as to where to take their car.

Roger.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SORTED with a good result! :)I emailed my polite complaint last night which was to the point. 45 minutes after opening this morning, I had a nice telephone response from the person who I saw on the day. He could not apologise enough and has given a refund which reduces the amount to less than the usual quoted cost! Very acceptable. It seems the wrong service schedule was used and they will amend their operational procedure to stop this happening again he tells me. So, an honest explanation and no cover up.
A great result. I have no need to name, as it was a genuine mistake and rectified to a better level than what I expected. I have used this dealer before and always found them to be helpful and very reasonable with prices.
Sufficient to say, I trust them enough that the next service will also be done there without hesitation. I would even recommend them to a friend if asked.
However, I would still question the bill if any reason to though.

The reason I did not dig deeper when paying was the time factor and a full understanding of exactly what was involved on these modern 3 cylinder engines. A bit different from my 1.6 HDI 110 307SW! That is why I asked right back in my first post if there was a reason for this type of service.
Thank you one and all for your assistance.
sholland

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ps
I do feel that garages that will deal with complaints such as mine in a fast and honest manner with a good outcome give the motor trade a GOOD name!
We can (but shouldn't) all make mistakes!
sholland

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Pleased you got it sorted out to better than your expectation. Also nice to hear the dealer admitting a mistake and not hesitating to rectify it - plus you got a new set of plugs for free :)

Pity there aren't more dealers like this. I myself have nothing but praise for my own dealer but far too many don't share the same experience.

As you say, while mistakes shouldn't happen, no-one is perfect and anyone who says they never make mistakes is a liar (except maybe reliable406).

Only joking reliable :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts