Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I topped up the coolent so it was between the min and max marks. I was driving around today and noticed the car temperature get very hot. I could also smell the coolent in the car. After I pulled over, I lifted the bonnet and realised I hadn't screwed the lid of the coolent container back on properly. So I emptied the remainder of the coolent into it (as it was empty) which was about 1.5 litres and it's still way below min. I will buy some more tomorrow as I'm out and shops are shut but is that normal?? It's just as I poured it in, it slowly disappeared completely. I'm afraid to drive it to the shops tomorrow!

Cheers

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yesterday I topped up the coolent so it was between the min and max marks. I was driving around today and noticed the car temperature get very hot. I could also smell the coolent in the car. After I pulled over, I lifted the bonnet and realised I hadn't screwed the lid of the coolent container back on properly. So I emptied the remainder of the coolent into it (as it was empty) which was about 1.5 litres and it's still way below min. I will buy some more tomorrow as I'm out and shops are shut but is that normal?? It's just as I poured it in, it slowly disappeared completely. I'm afraid to drive it to the shops tomorrow!

Cheers
When you refer to coolant to what are you referring if you have to go and buy it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
He/she probably means antifreeze which you do have to buy. Could use water in an emergency but then would have to drain that to replace with correct mixture.

Leaving the cap loose would mean pressure loss in the system thus lowering the boiling point. You probably boiled off most of the coolant. It needs refilling while ensuring that you don't get any airlocks. Cut the bottom off a plastic bottle and place the bottle neck first into the reservoir. Then tape around this to hold it in place. Fill the system through the now open end of the bottle. This gives you the benefit of a header of pressure to help drive out any air. When full start the engine up to normal running temp (just over 90) Leave idling and the fan will come on. You then know for certain the coolant is circulating through the thermostat. Leave the engine running and squeeze the hoses repeatedly. You may see air bubbles and the level in the tank drop. Keep on topping it up until it looks to have settled. Keep checking for the next few days and top up as and when necessary.

If you have to keep topping up endlessly....start worrying about your head gasket! How long were you driving with it overheating?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Forgot to mention...for really troublsome airlocks there is a bleed valve somewhere but I doubt if you will need it. Not quite sure where it is on this engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Davrobat is correct, I mean the antifreeze. Thanks a lot for the detailed reply, I appreciate that. I've done as you said and all seems good, level has stayed consistent all day. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts