Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi peeps!

new member here looking for advice/ shared experiences

i bought an 08 plate CC diesel in october 2011 at 66000 from a main dealer as approved used with a platinum warranty

it was small serviced at my local garage in Feb, and all was fine until april, when i got an oil pressure warning light and took it to another branch of the same dealer to get it checked.... i paid a total of £424 for diagnostics, oil pump and servicing (it was also recommended that i have the cam belt done, so i did)

all was fine again until September, when the engine lost power and went into limp mode with a depolution system failure, so it was back to the same garage to be told the turbo had gone.... queue another £600plus for a turbo, pipes, service and dpf sensor (still under warranty)

now fine again until 22nd December.... loss of power, limp mode, depolution system fault.... back to the dealer (on jan 7th due to problems arranging a tow over xmas)... £200 bill for diagnostics (which i will pay "under protest" to get the car back).... told turbo gone AGAIN (within 2000mls!!!!), that "the turbo shaft that comes out of the engine is not spinning centrally".....and it needs a new engine (£4500)

logged a call with Peugeot "customer care" who were useless and took 2 weeks to tell me they weren't prepared to help with the cost as the car had no service history between 1900 and 59000 miles

currently arranging a tow to my local independent garage for an inspection, before contacting trading standards and the original dealer branch.....

D

·
0 Posts
Muliple turbo failure is nearly always down to a. Incorrect oil and servicing regime or b. On fitting a new turbo the fitting procedure not adhered to. I've seen this so many times its not funny. Not warranty whatsoever can be claimed on the turbo if the fitting procedure is not adhered to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bought the car as approved used from a main dealer. surely the dealer shouldnt have sold it with that history if it was destined to fail?
i wasnt expecting peugeot to pay- i was expecting them to force the dealer to do more about it.
surely they should have looked into why the oil pump and the first turbo failed?

D

·
0 Posts
The answer there is in the service history or lack of. A proper oil change regime with the correct spec oil (total quart INEO 5w30) is the ONLY way to ensure this engines longevity.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its the fault of whoever owned the car and skipped the services !!

I do see what your saying the dealer sold it to you as approved used you most likely believed this meant it had been serviced properly since they approved it but sadly not really the case

Is there really no record of any services for over 50k miles ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
At a guess it sounds like the oil pressure is shagged on the current engine? Thats usually the main thing that kills turbos along with poor servicing

D

·
0 Posts
At a guess it sounds like the oil pressure is shagged on the current engine? Thats usually the main thing that kills turbos along with poor servicing
All the oil galleries get blocked up causing this. I'd like to see the state of the oilfilter. Ill bet its a lump of jelly oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All the oil galleries get blocked up causing this. I'd like to see the state of the oilfilter. Ill bet its a lump of jelly oil.
Even after I've paid for 3 small services and all the other work in 12 months? Should that have flushed the whole system when the oil pump was done?

·
12,149 Posts
i bought the car as approved used from a main dealer. surely the dealer shouldnt have sold it with that history if it was destined to fail?
Dealers will sell anything that can give a profit.

Its down to the customer to look at the service history and:

A) Haggle to get a deal based on the reduced value because of a lack of it.
B) Decide if they want to take the risk.

Personally I'd have steered well clear, it speaks volumes about the previous owner or at least flags up alarm bells about the discrepancy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Comicbookguy, you have my sympathy.

I think you should continue to fight this because

1. If the car was sold as Peugeot Approved Used, it should have a full service history. Yes, you should have checked before buying, but legally it would be reasonable for an average person to assume that if it is being sold under the Approved Used scheme, it will have a service history - check the terms and conditions on the Peugeot website as to what constitutes an Approved Used car.

2. When the turbo was replaced in September, there must have been some guarantee both on the part fitted and the Labour to do it. Therefore you have some comeback regardless of the fact that the car was by December out of warranty. It failed 3 months later, therefore the repair done was not of satisfactory quality.

Good luck and do update the forum of what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the support! This is exactly where I'm at at the moment. Independent garage says turbo shouldnt have gone and engine is not knackered. Strongly worded letter sent today to that effect, also questioning the earlier work when the oil pump was replaced and if the diagnosis on the reason for failure of the first turbo was correct. Considering its had several oil and filter changes with them you would think they would have seen something amiss....... Still carless tho :(

D

·
0 Posts
I'll bet you'll get nowhere with warranty for that turbo. The garage say a bold statement saying the engine is not knackered. They don't know whats going on internally in the engine. Multiple turbo failures ARE a sign of a knackered engine OR the turbo fitting procedure not fully adhered to. Basically the damage is already done.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had one which was like warmed up tarmacadam. Still had no oil pressure light on. So I decided to clean all the galleries,sump and fliter housing so they were spotless. Sounded like a bag of nails after :thumb:

C

·
0 Posts
Dealers will sell anything that can give a profit.

Its down to the customer to look at the service history and:

A) Haggle to get a deal based on the reduced value because of a lack of it.
B) Decide if they want to take the risk.

Personally I'd have steered well clear, it speaks volumes about the previous owner or at least flags up alarm bells about the discrepancy.
With Gibbo here. The dealer should never have sold a car with no history, and had the Warranty company known of this this would never have issued the policy. A blatant attempt to make a profit and sod the consequences.

On the other the buyer has some degree of responsibility not to get ripped off. Why did you touch a car with no history? Why did you not have the car professionally inspected? You wouldn't buy a house without a search and survey, so why buy your second most expensive purchase in such a cavalier manner?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts