Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!

So in September last year I purchased a Peugeot 207 1.4 (10) plate with 39k miles on the clock from evan halshaw for 3 grand. Servicing had just been done and MOT, all was good. First month I needed gear box replacing as chords and shift forks had went. Thank god it was under warranty.
however around Christmas my engine light turned on so i bought some new oil and when I took the engine cap off to fill it up there was quite a lot of white sludge on the cap however non on the dipstick. I was very worried as this is a sign of a blown head gasket however my uncle who is good with cars checked other potential signs such as pressure/bubbles in the coolant, smell of oil from exhaust, white smoke, and over heating thermostat. No other signs were present apart from the white sludge. He wiped it off and told me to check again in a week.
1 Week passed and I checked, the white sludge had reappeared but not as much as originally. He has put some head gasket sealant in and I check the cap every week and the white sludge is still present however it has not returned as bad as originally.
So my question is..
Could this be a blown head gasket? Is this common on the 207's as apparently they have aluminum engines which are prone to condensation, and has anyone else experienced this?

all comments grateful!! thanks!!

·
6,461 Posts
If it's not loosing coolant then its more likely just the cold weather. If you only do short journeys engine does not get enough heat (even with temp gauge on normal) to boil off moisture that forms within the engine when it cools down and you get the white sludge in filler cap etc.

Now outside temps are warming up it should stop happening

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's not loosing coolant then its more likely just the cold weather. If you only do short journeys engine does not get enough heat (even with temp gauge on normal) to boil off moisture that forms within the engine when it cools down and you get the white sludge in filler cap etc.

Now outside temps are warming up it should stop happening
Thanks for your reply !
Hopefully it does stop as head gaskets are around £600 to repair aren't they? I use my car mainly for trips that are around 10mile per day, would that be classed as a short trip ?
I've attached a photo of what it looked like.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi I have exactly the same on mine. Only noticed this winter with the cold weather we've had. As above if there are no other signs it's nothing to worry about, will happen on a lot of cars.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
This is a common mistake people make many engines suffer from this issue and the unscrupulous garages out there will charge for a head gasket repair even though they know its just cold/short journey issue.

On some BMW engines the whole dipstick turns yellow and you cant read it !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a common mistake people make many engines suffer from this issue and the unscrupulous garages out there will charge for a head gasket repair even though they know its just cold/short journey issue.

On some BMW engines the whole dipstick turns yellow and you cant read it !
That's what I was thinking, that's why i haven't took it to the garage yet and it's last service was in September last year so surely they would have noticed something then ? I will check again when the weather starts to warm ! Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone is interested, my head gasket was knackered. In the last few days I started to lose all my coolant within a couple days and oil. Water and oil was splurting out the exhaust. Apparently my temp gauge isn't going up as fast neither. Just purchased a new car, probably won't ever buy a French car again ??

·
Registered
870 Posts
i think the newer peugeots will have a better build quality, but agree the older ones are shockingly unreliable, over the years the daughters car has kept me busy....very busy, but my car a qashqai as only needed a cv boot and a set of pads in the last 3-4 years.

still i will sad to see it go when she eventually finds her new car, in the meantime she is putting it through one more mot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's a shame Beth, gutted for you. What have you done with the car?

Agree with Stripe my 2008 207 has thrown up a problem every month in my 2 years of having it, but also i will be sad to see it go. Must not be right in the head!

Not everyone will agree but I would recommend the AA parts and garage cover with a car this age. I've had it 6 months (cost me £100 when using topcashback) and they have paid out on a £450 repair with no quibbles, you just pay £35 excess. Also sorted me with a courtesy car for 3 days. Nearly everthing is covered aswell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts