Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Needed.

My wifes 2007 1.4 Vti will not start !!

We have had car from new and has 77000 miles on regularly serviced.

It was parked on the drive over night next morning would not start. Would turn over ok.

Have a simple diagnostic tool plugged in, showed map sensor intermittent fault. Replaced with genuine Bosch item.

Still no joy although code reset and stayed that way, have put new battery on as it is few years old, have checked plugs good spark, fuel getting into cylinders, compression there.

Am a bit stumped now to be honest, this weekend am going to remove ecu and check all terminals, meter out to make sure all earths ok.

Does anyone with Peugeot Planet make home visits ? maybe worth getting the car plugged in. I am Based in Helmshore Lancashire, obviously would remunerate you accordingly.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Update.

Many thanks to Steve and co on Saturday coming over and plugging in diagnostics.

Electronically all looks good still wont start though.

Checked just about everything !!

thinking only option is to take rocker cover off and see if cam chain may have jumped !! due to failed tensioner, believe this is not un- common on the bmw based 16 valave 1.4 engine. Can anyone who has experienced this perhaps comment or give any tips ie is it obvious that the chain is slack etc.

Or offer any further checks or advice

thanks

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its not BMW based its shared with BMW the engines are made in the douvrin factory BMW are sent the parts and assemble their own :)

Live data readings for cranking etc would help is the fuel pump spinning while cranking

Computers are only going to help so much it is still a mechanical device

Spark fuel and air is all it needs to fire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi thanks.

Have checked all obvious stuff first, battery, spark fuel, compression, vvt motor, checked all earths etc

Just will not even try to start running out of ideas now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi yes all of these, checked taken plugs out checked for spark at each, even changed plugs, if anything does seem to be over fueling.

Checked just about everything

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how it can be timing issue, car running fine one day next wont start, think if timing issue would have shown up with Planet, diagnostics yesterday.

Have also checked the VVT Motor that seems to be working fine

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
vvt motor would not stop it starting would cause rough running you say everything checked and ok but without screenshots to show us you may have missed something obvious otherwise it has to be a mechanical problem and timing is a common issue on this engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know just wanted to check likely problems.

Steve from this forum carried out the PP Diagnostics all was clear.

I am not sure how the timing could have altered if a failure with crank sensor would have shown up.

Have read some spurious reports about timing chain "jumping" a tooth although not come across any solid facts just hearsay.

Am a bit stuck at present, dont really want to just start taking stuff off engine with out some reasoning behind it.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Sorry but your engine is not starting so SOMETHING has to show up on diagnostics it may have only been something in live data readings rather than a fault code not every fault throws a code

Key fault com fault misfire detected cam and crank sync etc etc

failure of crank sensor would not indicate timing fault.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi thanks for the help, will pm guy who did diagnostics.

Both keys open and close the car ok, so dont think its immobiliser or wouldnt turn over or spark?

Would the crank sensor failure cause none start, thought would just run extremely rough?

thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
im a novice with peugeot, but quick test i used in the past is to pull the cam sensor plug(s) put it into limp home see if it starts.

but other than that its cam cover off to check chain and timing,,,,,same boat as me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello thanks for all posts, GOT IT STARTED !! not exactly sure, removed all relay and ecu plugs, looked perfect also all earth points to engine and body looked good cleaned them up and re-connected started up first time.

My next step was compression test before taking rocker cover off.

I had tried removing all sensors one at a time to no avail.

thanks again.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
cam and crank sync ok means its NOT timing

Sounds like a comm issue to me the ecu not unlocking properly

Key unlocking the car does NOT MEAN the immobiliser is fine it just means the remote is fine !!

Immobiliser will not stop cranking on diesels it stops injectors opening I believe a petrol would be the same

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still have a problem, the car starts fine and drives generally ok, just that on full throttle the ehaust note sounds overly loud and doesnt seem to produce any more power, when you back off throtle car seems to pick up ok.

believe the hydraulic solenoids that alter the cam lift could be sticking, these in turn signal to the vvt motor.

intend to remove these. does the vvt motor require any setting up when re-fitting or does it just self reset when ignition switched on ?

Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
any codes or pollution warning?

think in light of possible fusebox problems you should first check voltage is getting to the solenoids, try and run a thin bit of wire (telephone wire) into the plug(s) and gently press it back on then attatch that to your multimeter, go for a drive with your meter in the car.

you can test each solenoid with a 12v supply but you will need long skinny crock clips to get to the contacts in the solenoid. just click click click it make sure its opening/shutting.

daughters car used to go ok then shoot away at 3000rpm
now it has all its pull low down the rev range and flat at higher revs.
its the chain. so like me that will be next on your list to check.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts