Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the Idea to replace my tail-light bulbs with LEDs.

I ordered some cheap bulbs from eBay.

When I put them into the car, I found that even after turning off the car locking the door and waiting a few minutes the bulbs will still stay on -- but very, very dimly.

I didn't want to get into a situation where is the battery flattens overnight, so I removed the LED bulbs and replace them with the original bulbs.

I've attached a photo of what it looks like after a few minutes shutting off the car and locking the doors (i.e. after the car has completely gone to sleep).

What's going on here? Do I need some sort of special LED bulbs for this car?

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Because the car uses a canbus system some power is put through to the bulbs, not enough power to illuminate standard bulbs but will with LEDs. Either you solder some resistors in to the ones you have or buy some with them already soldered on

·
Registered
202 Posts
yes, and because LEDs require so much less power than filament bulbs, they dont offer enough resistance to prevent them illuminating, even with the car off.

hence if you solder a resistor, or buy ones with resistors built in, it prevents low current flow when the car is off.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the "power" is being "used up" regardless of if an filament or LED bulb meaning I can use the LEDs safely?

Or is there a risk of battery drain if I use the LED bulbs?

·
Registered
202 Posts
essentially, yes. the same amount of current is flowing with the old filament bulb as there is now through the LEDs. however, as LEDs illuminate at a much lower current, they are 'always on'. adding a resistor will make them 'stay off' but the low current will just be converted to heat.

so if youre okay with them staying on, it shouldnt cause any further battery drain than the old bulbs. there will be a drain, as there always will be, but if your battery is healthy i wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
adam is spot on, that current power was always available there, but the LED's can run on that much power. You can use a resistor or try and find a bulb with one built in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts